The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2008, 07:25 AM   #1
Picit

Lyman All American.....new & need help

I just picked up a nice Lyman All American relaoder. It doesnt have anything and I want to start loading my own, where should I start? What do I need? Is this a good press even though its older? I see guys are adding a lyman 55 powder measurer to it. Does it need adapters for new style dies? Anyone know where I can get an owners manual?
Old May 5, 2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Alaskee

First off, buy at least two good reloading manuals and read up in the how to sections to get a feel for what's entailed and the proper sequences and safety practices.
The All American works like any other manually indexed turret press and there are alot of videos on the web on how to operate various turret presses. It also will accept standard size dies so you can use whichever brand you choose. Out of the four stations it may have one station which has a larger threaded opening but it should have an insert which steps it down to standard size. It's out of production but Lyman may be able to get you a manual if you give them a call. They have similar models currently available.
If I remember correctly, they originally came with proprietary shell holders, one for each caliber, but you can buy a conversion which accepts current shell holders from major manufacturers. You'll also need a new conversion primer mechanism to work with the the new shellholder part, if your press isn't already equipped with them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...282&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=779142
Old May 6, 2008, 06:32 AM   #3
Picit

thanks for the help, Ill start studying before I get into it.
Old May 6, 2008, 01:50 PM   #4
30Cal

Lyman carries conversion parts for it too. Good press, although not big on leverage. If you plan on FL sizing bottle necked rifle cases, it's going to take some effort.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:18 PM   #5
MADISON

Old press--new reloader

You need atleast 2 reloading manuals:
Lyman and Sierra have "HOT" loadings.
Speer and Hornady have cooler loads.
Most any standard set of dies should work but, is the shell holder standard.