The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 31, 2011, 07:25 PM   #1
MEATSAW

NRA Firearm Insurance

I noticed today that one of the benefits to membership in the NRA was firearm insurance coverage in case of theft or destruction. It says it covers up to $1000. I think that is really cool and never knew about it until now. Has anyone used this coverage? Apparently all you have to do is be a member, no additional forms or anything.
Old August 31, 2011, 08:15 PM   #2
jgcoastie

The down-side is that while yes, $1k is $1k, no matter how you slice it...

$1k would cover the replacement of one of my rifles (to say nothing of scopes/other optics), if I were lucky enough to have a cheaper rifle destroyed/stolen/etc.

Best to take out a high-value items insurance policy piggy-backed on your homeowners insurance/renters insurance. The clerk with my insurance company was very surprised when I started my policy a few years ago... She had no idea guns were so expensive. Each gun of mine is listed on my policy by make, model, caliber, serial number, and purchase price (receipt copy sent to them to verify). Scope/optics make, model, and serial number are included as well if they are mounted on a rifle.

$1k is $1k, and it's better than nothing, but it will be of little consolation if your entire collection is stolen.

Worth noting: my insurance company got me a great deal on a good gun safe through a partner company shortly after I activated that policy.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old August 31, 2011, 08:31 PM   #3
egor20

Quote:
my insurance company got me a great deal on a good gun safe through a partner company shortly after I activated that policy.
My Farm owners insurance gives me a break because of the Gun safe and the security systems on the farm. MEATSAW do check into your home owners insurance.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old August 31, 2011, 10:32 PM   #4
oldkim

Insurance...

Do know that most average insurance doesn't cover firearms.

The NRA insurance is part of your membership but you do have to do something... You have to activate it.

Just like any other insurance you have to know what you need and what you currently have covered...

If you have one gun (less than $1000) then this will do just fine... but if you have >$10,000 or more... you might want to look into a separate "rider" specific to firearms.

From the NRA membership benefits website:
Quote:
$2,500 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage.

From the insurance company NRA uses:
http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/members.htm
Quote:
No Cost ArmsCare Firearms Insurance – All NRA members in good standing receive $2,500 of ArmsCare protection at no cost to them. To begin receiving this coverage members must activate their No Cost benefits by visiting the Benefits Activation Site.

Do know you can get higher limits on your firearms... You do pay for it. About $100 for $7,000. Do know any one firearm valued at more than $2,500 you'll need to itemize. If none is over than you don't.

See link above to get info on higher limits...

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old September 1, 2011, 01:41 AM   #5
MEATSAW

Thank you oldkim for the excellent information and the links. $2500 is better than $1000! While I certainly agree that if I were to have all of my guns lost to theft or destruction 2500 bucks wouldn't cover it all. But I still think its great to have it. I wish I would have known about this a couple years ago when I had a my Russian M44 stolen from me.

I will also look into my homeowners insurance policy. I'm also looking for a better safe and if I could get a deal that would be great!
Old September 1, 2011, 01:51 AM   #6
egor20

MEATSAW

Quote:
I'm also looking for a better safe and if I could get a deal that would be great!
Take a look at Gov't auctions, my gun safe used to be a classified documents safe, the thing weighs just short of 500lbs and was $50.00

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old September 1, 2011, 02:29 AM   #7
youngunz4life

http://www.nraendorsedinsurance.com/...878/index.html

go to this site to activae(kim was right-must activate). it is 2500 bucks now for firearms along with 5000bucks accidental death and/or dimemberment coverage

*additionally, LIFE members get 10grand on top of the 2500 instead of 5grand

and

LEO killed in the line of duty get 25grand instead of the 10 grand

I just signed up and they send a confirmation email. You dont even need to know your NRA number: just your name, address, and date of birth

It is free and they ask if you want to add a few bucks to up it but you don't have to

PS- I know my home insurance has a discount due to my alarm. I dont think the guns get an extra discount on mine but there is some automatic coverage for guns just like property, jewelry, etc,etc
Old September 1, 2011, 04:37 PM   #8
jgcoastie

Quote:
I dont(sic) think the guns get an extra discount on mine but there is some automatic coverage for guns just like property, jewelry, etc,etc
Unless you have added a "rider" high-value property policy to your homeowner's insurance that specifically covers firearms, I highly doubt it. I would recommend that you run through your policy with a fine-tooth comb and double-check that before you bet on it.

Most homeowner's/renter's insurance policies do not automatically cover firearms, check with your agent and double-check your policy to be sure you're covered in the event of a loss/theft/fire/etc...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 3, 2011, 12:56 AM   #9
r_magill

While most home owner's insurance policies do not automatically cover firearms, some do. I know my home owner's policy does automatically cover up to $1,000 of firearms and firearm supplies, with the option to increase coverage limits. It sounds to me like youngunz4life did check his policy but wasn't sure if the guns gave him a discount or not.
Old September 3, 2011, 01:16 AM   #10
youngunz4life

my bad

I read coasties post the other day but missed that he quoted me...

yes, my policy does cover firearms. I would have to open the file cabinet, but a thousand bucks seems about right. I am pretty sure it is at least that amount. It is fuzzy, but we did get the alarm discount too - I had to call him when I got the proof in the mail to add it on. There was a higher discount too, but he "shot me down"(pun intended) when I tried to qualify for that: something about extra alarm for fire, special detectors or something...not sure, can't remember specifics. Again its fuzzy, but I remember reading about the guns in the actual policy but I never saw anything about an extra discount. I might have to check that out. This was 3yrs ago, so nothing had really changed and I was big on getting the discounts. Another real good one is being a "farm". Your insurance comes down a lot! If you have a barn and @ least 5acres you automatically qualify and actually state farm told us we couldn't stay with them even if we wanted to...pointless anyways because with umbrella on 'farm' and the car stuff it was all less than the original regular statefarm. By the way we have no farm crops or farm animals and we still qualified because we have the barn and @ least 5acres. I checked and doublechecked everything because I am not about to have some sales scam going on and then come to find out when the SHTF I am screwed.

all the best
Old September 4, 2011, 08:37 AM   #11
blume357

Simple rule in life, this comes from my lawyer: You can never have too much insurance. Instead of trying to figure out if and what my homeowner's policy covered.... I decided to purchase the additional insurance from the NRA.... on top of their 1k.... an additional 12k cost me something like $140 a year.
Old April 9, 2015, 07:17 PM   #12
the blur

Did anyone ever put in a claim?? I'm curious if it's a scam policy, because they don't even ask you for your NRA #.
Old April 9, 2015, 08:26 PM   #13
kilimanjaro

It's a legitimate policy, but small.
Old April 9, 2015, 08:39 PM   #14
PeterTheFish

The typical homeowners policy covers firearms up to the limit of coverage for contents. However, that coverage is generally sublimited to $2,500 for theft. So fire - you're good to go. Theft, you're probably hosed. Some policies may sub limit firearms overall, similar to jewelry, etc...

Scheduling your firearms on your homeowners policy will be much more expensive (2-3x more) than purchasing a standalone policy from NRAs Lockton Affinity program. Homeowner policies charge 3-5% of value annually vs 1% for the NRA program.

Finally, Lockton isn't an insurance company. They're a small insurance broker.
Old April 9, 2015, 08:40 PM   #15
PeterTheFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blur View Post
Did anyone ever put in a claim?? I'm curious if it's a scam policy, because they don't even ask you for your NRA #.

If you file a claim you would need to provide proof your membership was active on the date of loss.
Old April 10, 2015, 09:46 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

Safeco handles firearms differently than any other insurance company I have come across. With one of their general bells and whistles("plus" or "ultra" or something of that sort) they handle my firearms just like any other personal property to the limit of my policy. The coverage is not as broad as scheduled property, but it is WAY cheaper.
When you get one of those specific scheduled property riders on your homeowners coverage it is really expensive b/c there is coverage added for all sorts of situations I personally don't want to insure. Lets say I owned one of these $100,000 Italian shotguns. I don't, but lets dream for a moment here. I drop it walking up to the line and the butt stock smacks against the poorly chosen concrete walk causing $10,000 of damage. I'm calling my agent to put in a claim b/c I think a scheduled property rider s going to provide me coverage WITH NO DEDUCTIBLE for such an instance.
You also need to keep updated appraisals and such for scheduled property. The only item I have scheduled is my wife's wedding ring.