The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Supermech21

Ordering supplies for my first load

I'm looking to reload my 9mm cases as close to NATO spec as I can for training purposes. Obviously a 124 gr fmj but which brand? I'm not sure which powder to use: win 231, autocomp, imr sr-4756... Or something else? And not sure for primers...

What do you guys use and have had experience with... I'm trying to base my decision off of price, availability, and closeness to my specs desired (NATO round)...

Thanks guys, and please what store do you buy from?
Old January 13, 2013, 02:41 PM   #2
S_Constitutionist

Remember that you are working UP to a NATO type pressure. Never start at anything other than STARTING LOADS in your manual - its asking for problems. Every gun is different.

Use your manual as a guide for powder and primers. Both are worthless if you dont have load data for them.

I like Titegroup in 9mm as well as power pistol. 231 is a great powder but I prefer a faster burning powder in 9mm trying to run the heavy slides on my BHPs. Just personal preference.

If you goal is high pressure, you will be best served by a jacketed bullet. For general plinking, I use plated (Berrys Bullets) in 9mm.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Supermech21

Understand totally, I'm starting at 10% under the loads in my hornady loading book...
Old January 13, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4
snooze

I load 9mm using W231, Tula SPP, and Berry's (plated) 124gn.

I can't speak to the other pistol powders, but W231 has served me well.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:40 PM   #5
Bongo Boy

Have you looked to see what's available? I don't think you're going to find any small pistol primers anywhere--and I doubt you'll find any powder, either. I could be wrong, but I don't believe you have too many options right now.

My No.1 source is Midsouth Shooters Supply--they haven't had small pistol primers for several weeks now. Next up is Natchez Shooters Supply, and I have from time to time purchased reloading supplies from Midway--usually bullets only because they tend to charge two HAZMAT fees (one for powder, one for primers). I don't believe Midway has much in the way of bullets now, either.

Another option for bullets, at least, is to go directly to Montana Gold, or to TJ Convera who has been good to deal with in the past.

Again, I think primers are all gone.

Now--very few folks know that Nitro 100 runs very nicely in 40SW and 45ACP and performs almost identically to Clays, and similar to Solo 1000. Currently, I believe the only published handgun loads for Nitro 100 are for 9mm, AND, currently, Nitro 100 is one of very, very few propellants still available at Midsouth. Just FYI, it's a lesser-know powder for handgun and has apparently gone unnoticed. I would expect it to perform quite nicely in 9.

Solo 1000 is still available as well, and it is hugely popular in your IPSC and IDPA circles.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; January 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:55 PM   #6
Misssissippi Dave

WSF, AA7 and Powder Pistol will work well for 124 grain bullets for mid to max levels. It depends on what is available and which one you like. W231 works well for 9 mm but only up to the mid range. These slower powders will work better when you are trying to hit NATO type loads. Just use published data and work the load up. A crony will tell you how close you are getting.

A FMJ round nose bullet is best. The brand might not matter as much. Buying in bulk once you figure out what you want will help to keep down costs.