The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2009, 06:24 AM   #1
SgtMeatballs

7.62 Reloading

Good Morning,

I am looking to reload and here are my reasons. Save money, pick up a new hobby, and I have a deep embedded gene to try to personally create/assemble/make/build everything in my life...if these aren't sound reasonings, please somebody tell me now so I don't waste my time/money.

Before I start buying books, I figure I can just pick all of your brains for free! At least for my basic questions.

All I want to know is if I can use the same equpipment for reload all 7.62/.30cal rifle calibers...most likely will be 7.62x51, 7.62x54, 7.62x39, 30'06 and .30 carbine....

Would I have to spend more money on the different tools to create the above stated rounds.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Old August 20, 2009, 06:39 AM   #2
snuffy

Quote:
All I want to know is if I can use the same equpipment for reload all 7.62/.30cal rifle calibers...most likely will be 7.62x51, 7.62x54, 7.62x39, 30'06 and .30 carbine....

Would I have to spend more money on the different tools to create the above stated rounds.
Good morning back at ya sarge. And welcome to THR. We love to have our brains exercised by new reloaders questions.

As for your question, the BASIC reloader press will work for all that you have listed. You will have to buy a set of dies, and a shell holder for each specific cartridge. Some of those will use the same caliber bullets, so you can load more than 1 cartridge from the same box of bullets.

Also they all use large rifle primers, so you won't need more than one type. As for powder, you'll need several different powders for that wide a range of calibers.

As you get "educated" about reloading, you'll have more questions. Read the sticky at the top "for the new reloader, read this first". Then when it come time to be ordering a press or a complete kit, we can help with specific answeres to specific questions.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 20, 2009, 06:57 AM   #3
SgtMeatballs

Thanks snuffy, I did read the sticky, but with the first stage being to purchase the literature, I figured I could knock out my initial question before losing myself in this dark and all consuming world of reloading and the associated books.... Honestly I still read this book from the 50's, I believe its called "rifles and shotguns" When the .257 roberts started dying, the author seemed very depressed by that....anyways I digress, thanks for the info snuffy.

Old August 20, 2009, 07:06 AM   #4
SL1

Not all of the cartridges that you listed use the same diameter bullets. Most U.S. cartidges that are ".30 caliber" use bullets that are 0.308" in diameter, while many European cartridges that are "7.62 mm" use bullets that are 0.311" in diameter. Even the ".308 Winchester" that is also the "7.62 x 51 NATO" uses .308 diameter bullet, just like the .30-'06 Springfield and the .30-30 Winchester and .30 Carbine. But, the 7.62 x 39 and the 7.62 x 54 are Russian cartridges that typically use .311" diameter bullets. Some folks do load .308" bullets in those cartridges, and get various levels of accuracy. Some U.S. gun makers even make guns for those cartridges that have .308" grooved barrels instead of .311" grooved barrels, so you that .308" bullets can be more accurate in 7.62 x 39 and 7.62 x 54 cartridges. Going the other way and trying to use 0.311" bullets in any of the guns made with 0.308" barrels can seriously increase pressures.

So, this can get confusingt and it is important to know what YOUR particular guns require in the way of bullets before you buy dies and bullets.

SL1
Old August 20, 2009, 07:14 AM   #5
SgtMeatballs

Well, the overall endgame if you will is this:

To maximize my funds where owning several different 7.62 rifles (m14, m1 garand, m1 carbine, sks/ak, bolt guns...etc) and reloading my own brass whilst spending the least amount of money on equipment while at the same time enjoying the art of reloading...

I've been on a 36 hour duty....so if that made no sense I apologize, i'm trying to re-read it and keep confusing myself...(wheres the smileyface for feeling like a zombie?)

Old August 20, 2009, 03:38 PM   #6
LuckyStrike

Welcome! It would help to know if you plan on using the reloads for plinking, precision target or different types of hunting as there are so many different bullets and powders out there.

As for buying a reloading manual, I suggest getting a manual from whichever company you plan on buying bullets from such as Sierra or Hornady. If you plan on reloading modest amounts of ammunition or match grade ammo then I recommend a single stage press. As for dies I suggest Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady or any other brand really... They all seem to work fine. If you have for example, a 308 bolt action and plan on using the same 308 brass through only that rifle then I strongly recommend getting a Lee Collet Die, which will allow you to use the brass more times.

As for which powders are best just ask around and look do searches online, although almost everyone on this forum will recommend you test multiple powders for yourself and see what you like best.

Lastly, you probably won't save a dime reloading because you will be shooting a lot more!
Old August 21, 2009, 02:54 AM   #7
Sixer

Quote:
Also they all use large rifle primers, so you won't need more than one type.
Quick correction Snuffy... the .30 carbine uses smalll rifle primers. Just throwing that out there

Either way Sgt. if you JUST decide to start reloading for your M1 carbine, I think you will find that you will start to "save" money fairly quick, or at least get to shoot it more often.

The only other caliber you listed that I have is the 7.62x39 for my AK. So far I've found it to be easier and probably cheaper to just buy 1000rds of Russian surplus ammo instead of reloading it. Of course if you already have reloadable brass to reload then it might be worth your while

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old August 21, 2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Jeff H

Quote:
Most foreign Mill surp 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 that I have seen is always berdan primed...FYI
Old August 21, 2009, 08:33 AM   #9
margiesex

7.62x54

Hello - welcome. I hunted through a few websites and found this cal. brass at Graf's - relatively cheap.

So far - at least 2 (all loaded for 3) reloads and it's doing just fine.

God bless and Good shooting.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old August 21, 2009, 06:40 PM   #10
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day SgtMeatballs and welcome to TFL.

Quote:
welcome to THR
I think somebody might be spending tooo much time on the internet and getting chat rooms mixed up.

If you try the Hodgdon web site you might find a single powder that will work in all the sizes you plan to load. Having only one powder (& one projectile) for a novice reloader stops you from making one big mistake. Once you have the basic process mastered then add diferent projectiles, then add diferent powders.

(note to self. I should use this above advice.)
Old August 21, 2009, 06:43 PM   #11
Blue

For Sarge

"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
- Lieutenant-General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
Old August 21, 2009, 06:54 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

I don't think he'll be able to wind up with one powder. The .30 Carbine and 7.62x39 might, at a squeeze, both be run on Lil' Gun, but it will be a little slow for the former and fast for the latter and won't get best performance out of either. The others could all be run on IMR4895.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 21, 2009, 10:48 PM   #13
markshere2

SKS / AK Steel case use

Sorry for drifting the thread a little, but......

In a SKS or AK , how many steel cases have you shot before wearing the extractor mechanism to a point where malfunctions begin?

For the 2 or 3 folks that are even less experienced than me........virtually all of the cheap overseas ammos is steel cased and berdan primed= twice difficult to reload.

TIA