The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2002, 10:11 PM   #1
Moe

Need low power 9mm load.

My wife who has suffered from neck and back injuries cannot shoot her 1911 45acp any more than one mag before her body quits. She tried my Glock 17 9mm and it did not bother her at all until she finished off a box of 115gr/4.6gr w-231. Could anyone out there give me the lowest load that will function a stock 3rd generation Glock 17 using 115 win fmj, win small pistol primers, and w-231 powder.
The lowest I have seen used was 4.3gr but I would like to go much lower. Consider that she does not hold a gun terribly tight. Brass kicks her right in the head. Kind of funny realy.
Thanks.
Old May 26, 2002, 10:18 PM   #2

One part of the equation is going to be, how low can you go while still cycling the action. Go to : http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html and buy a recoil spring calibration pack. This will allow you to try different recoil springs to that you can find one that will allow the gun to function with your reduced loads. The idea is to use the calibration pack to find the right spring, then buy a spring so you can keep the calibration pack intact for your next adventure.
As far as the load goes, I would do one of two things. I would possibly call a bullet manufacturer and ask them. These guys are really nice and will answer any reasonable question you have. The other option would be to simply keep reducing your charge until you are happy with it.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old May 26, 2002, 11:26 PM   #3
dick w. holliday

i've been experimenting with exactly what you're describing--i've been using 3.7 gr 231 with a 115 gr bullet......practically no recoil but plan to call wolff springs at www.gunsprings.com and get the lightest spring they've got for a glock and then you may have to whack off a coil or two.......i just did the above and my 17L runs like a champ........Dick

By the way this is the most accurate load i've ever tried in this gun--i'm not really sure if it's the load or just the lack of recoil but the holes in the target don't care.....Dick
Old May 30, 2002, 04:30 PM   #4
JDSJAX

3.3 to 3.6 would not reliably cycle my G19 with stock springs. 3.8-4.0 worked fine, but I generally use 4.5. I like the spring reduction idea and that should bring your usable loads down to the minimal recoil level. Hope this helps.
Old June 4, 2002, 12:42 PM   #5
cheygriz

Moe,

You might want to consider an aftermarket barrel with a compensator. Something along the lines of a 5 inch Federal with screw on comp. This will reduce the "felt" recoil while still allowing the use of near normal loads.
Old June 5, 2002, 03:06 PM   #6
Master Blaster

4.0 gr w231 124 grain hardcast lead OR
4.0 gr W231 and 124 gr plated berry's bullet

Both cycle the G-26 glock, and the beretta 92 FS.

Make sure the brinell hardness is 18 for shooting in a glock, softer bullets lead the barrel
Old June 5, 2002, 11:47 PM   #7
Moe

Well after some testing with various light loads down to 3.3 gr w231 we have determined that 9mm is out. looks like a 22 conversion kit for her on her 1911 or a glock with a conversion to .22 I will keep trying to find an answer. perhaps a .380 . Can't own a 32 or 25 in Canada (someone in gvmt sais there dangerous!) so if .380 don't work it looks like .22

Thanks to all for your help.

Moe
Old June 7, 2002, 11:31 AM   #8
Master Blaster

Most .380s are blow back actions, that means a harsher recoil than 9mm full power, I had one .380 a sig 230SL.

BLECH skip .380
Old June 11, 2002, 03:55 PM   #9
spd522

You can light load the 9mm but there appears to be 2 problems you have to overcome.

First, the Mrs. has a weak grip that is causing the casings to doink her in the forehead. It is something that is very quick to appear in a 9mm Glock. Other guns are more forgiving in this respect and also less likely to jam because of it. I did a test with all the authorized 9mm guns at my PD and the Glock jammed very quickly with a weak grip. The Sigs, Berettas, and S&W autos had very few problems. The Kahr 9mm was also quite good. For an easy to shoot, decent trigger, reliable with light loads, and accurate gun, might consider a Browning HP.

The 2nd problem may be the powder. You may need to change to a different powder to be able to obtain sufficient velocity to function and yet keep the recoil down.

I tried some Solo 1000 a long time ago and had loaded some 115 -9mm in the 1000fps range, yet still cycled the action of my Sig P226 and S&W 469. It was very accurate and extemely light recoiling. I quit using it as even at a max charge, it didn't reach a power factor usable for competition.

As some of the others have suggested, I don't think switching to a 380 would solve anything. 380s are generally in smaller,lighter guns that will end up with a felt recoil similar to the slightly larger 9mm.