The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 28, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1
snpr9696

1858 Remington Info

Does anyone have any info on this 1858 New Model Army .44 Cal Revolver I have. Its engraved and says " E.N. Santa Barbara Spain
I can't seem to find any info on the company or model. Thanks All

Old March 28, 2009, 02:27 PM   #2
K.A.T.

1858 info.

Some people consider what you have to be the best 1858 made. I think the steel is a better grade than most. You need to talk to a guy over on voy. forum called Smokin Gun. He will probably be along in a minute and chime in on your post.
Old March 28, 2009, 02:59 PM   #3
fr3db3ar

I didn't find anything by searching either...but that is one fine looking piece of machinery you have there.

check that

if you do any advanced search on google asking for exact word and put in what you posted here, I found that your gun apparently was made by a company that made arms for Spain's military....and possibly this was marketed through CVA in the 70's.

try those search parameters

Last edited by fr3db3ar; March 28, 2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old March 28, 2009, 04:25 PM   #4
Smokin_Gun

Yup I do know a little about the E.N. Santa Barbaras, got all three models that I am aware of. Full Engraved, Partial Engraved, and Plain.
Made in the E.N. Santa Barbara Armory of Spain...more wanted in Western Europe than the Hedge Rems from Germany...they stopped making them approx. 28 years or so ago. Hard steel so hard a cat couldn't scratch it...

Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old March 29, 2009, 09:25 AM   #5
snpr9696

Thanks Smokin Gun for the info......I picked it up yesterday for $175 at a gun shop. I always wanted an 1858 after watching the reloading scene in Pale Rider years ago then again after watching the gun shop scene in quick and the dead. I walked into the shop to pick up my AR15 stripped receiver and there it was. Talk about both ends of the spectrum. I never have really come across a production revolver so engraved. Looks like I made a good find.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

So what did you do? Assemble your AR in the shop and use it to steal that 58? You got one hell of a buy, I would value that at $400 minimum.
It feels good to get a good buy from a gun shop, makes up for some of the others
Old March 30, 2009, 12:05 PM   #7
bprevolver

Engraved Santa Barbara New Model Army

spnr9696, if you are interested in selling this Santa Barbara I am interested. One with the same engraving as yours sold on Gun Broker for around $375. I have five of these revolvers, three plain and two engraved both different from yours or Smokin Gun.

spnr9696, I hope you are not going to shoot the engraved model. Maybe interested in trade on one of my plain models plus some cash or straight cash.

Smokin Gun, from the pictures you posted your partially engraved model does not have any engraving on the barrel. Do you have any other pictures showing the complete gun? Since my engraved models are different from yours this means there is a third engraved model.
Old March 30, 2009, 01:40 PM   #8
snpr9696

Thanks Guys but I'm gonna hang on to this piece for a while. Yeah Ill probably never shoot it either. I got a Pietta 1851 I can shoot if I feel like a cap and ball day.

I might consider a trade if I could find something in a .44 Mag Revolver SA/DA *modern*
Ruger
Taurus
S&W
ETC.
Old March 31, 2009, 01:45 AM   #9
Smokin_Gun

I got one fully engraved, one partially engraved, and my most recent find a plain one... all like new.

Wondering if you have found a model that the hammer position is a lil' differant than the other...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php