The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2005, 05:27 PM   #1
T- Bone

10 MM Blowout

I really enjoy reading all the info on this forum. This is the first time i've had the need to post a question. About 10 years ago I bought a 1000 rounds of 10mm from a local reloader business.I've shot over half of them with no problems. I went to the range yesterday and decided to shoot the 10 a little bit, so I grabbed a 100 along with some of my own work up loads. I shot my loads, made notes, and started on the others. After 42 it happened, Kaboom!,sparks everywhere. I tried to take the mag out it was stuck tight. Slide back out falls a case with a hole about a 1/8 wide and about a 1/4" long, right above the extracter groove. When I stripped the gun to check it out, the piece of case was setting on the top of the frame after removing the slide and barrel. My question is does this sound like a over charge of powder, or maybe a bullet not seated deep enough and not allowing the cartridge to chamber properly. I plan on weighing and measuring the rest of the cartridges and see if that will give me any clues. By the way I was shooting a colt delta that seems to be ok. I appreciate any feedback.
Old February 27, 2005, 05:47 PM   #2
mete

Never trust "a local reloader business" !!! Probably an overcharge.
Old February 27, 2005, 06:08 PM   #3
kidcoltoutlaw

For some reason

People like to load with a powder that calls for 4 or 5 grains .A fast powder the reason is they are cheap more loads per pound. I load with what is accurate and fills the case so there is no room for a double charge.
Old February 27, 2005, 07:24 PM   #4
yekimak

I have had problems with "local reloads" as well, case stuck in the chamber of a rifle, and the primer was a dud. scared the hell out of me trying to remove it, i did not want the thing blowing up in my face. The extractor would not pull the case out and I had to dissassemble the gun and ended up tapping the bullet down into the case and shaking all the powder out and then had to hammer the case out.

Was you gun damaged?
Old February 27, 2005, 08:47 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Either an overcharge of powder, or a bullet seated TOO deep, or a bullet not tight in the case and setting back against the feed ramp. Any of the above will raise pressure to the point of a blown casehead as you saw. Or it might have been a many-times reloaded case and just worn out from heavy 10mm loads. Show the vendor the pieces and see what he says. If possible, get your money back, not more doubtful ammo.
Old February 28, 2005, 01:28 AM   #6
cuate

10mm Blowout

Excuse the faciousness but:

This is for war and this is for fun! Factory loads for protection and your own (only) reloads for plinking. Stay away from max loads like they were a rattlesnake. Guns are replaceable, hands and lives are not!
Old February 28, 2005, 10:04 AM   #7
T- Bone

I don't think I have any damage to the gun. The mag needed a couple of taps from a tack hammer and it dislodged. It swelled out the bottom of the mag so I gave it a couple of taps and it slides in and out like normal now. Knowing what I now know I would never buy any reloads again. I just wanted to shoot those up and reload the brass. I weighed and case guaged the leftovers and there were 2 that would'nt seat all the way in the guage and 3 that were 3 to 31/2 grains heavier than the rest. Thanks for the replies. I'm sure the next time I shoot this gun i"ll have some nervousness and hesitation but everything seems to look ok. The first rounds thruogh it won't be reloads though.
Old March 1, 2005, 01:01 PM   #8
bgfire

You might be wise to take the gun to a reputable gunsmith and have it checked. If you get the ok from the 'smith, you can rest easier about shooting the gun.

I think I would scrap the rest of the reloads that you have from that source. If the bullets are good, you might think about pulling them to use again. Hard telling how many times the brass has been loaded.

Good luck!
Old March 2, 2005, 10:15 AM   #9
T- Bone

Good advice about the 'smith I was thinking about that myself, I think you just helped me make up my mind. About the number of times the cases have been loaded is there a set number of times you reload 10mm brass? I usually just look them over good and toss any questionable ones and continue to load them. I'm not loading full power loads for practice though. About 11.4 of AA#7 behind 180fmj if I remember right, I don't have it written down here where i am now.
Old March 2, 2005, 10:55 AM   #10
HighVelocity

I am curious. What 10mm was it? I am guessing 1911 platform. Am I right?
If that's correct, the gun is probably ok. If it was a Glock I'm surprised the frame didn't get broken.
Old March 2, 2005, 02:03 PM   #11
T- Bone

It is an early style Colt Delta, seems ok but???
Old March 2, 2005, 02:15 PM   #12
bgfire

Tbone, I do what you do; look at the cases prior to loading, and cull the bad ones. I think that is how we all do it. Hard telling what the reloader that you bought from did to check his cases.

As you probably know, the case life will normally depend on the loads.

Hot Loads=Shorter Life

Like I said before, I would have the gun checked by a 'smith to make sure it is good to go. I would tell him about the mag being slightly deformed as well; he can probably check that out.
Old March 4, 2005, 02:09 AM   #13
shotone

10mm blowout

I recently had a case seperate in Delta were it is unsupported in the chamber. It was starline brass 4th reloading, it was the only failure in a batch of 500. I load AA5 at 7.9g with 175g lswc at approx. 1050 fps, moderate load.My mag base plate blew off, and spring, follower, 4 rounds of ammo went out the mag hull. I was lucky debris from barrel scratched my eyes and face ( nothing serious). I learned three things 1. ALWAYS wear eye protection . 2. Never develop a grip were your hand is under mazine. 3.Non supported chambers can have brass seperations.I had to drive hull out with wood dowel and squirt wd40 to get debris from around barrel bushing, no damage to pistol.
Did your bullet hit target at normal height(not high). Mine was very close to target center at 25yds.Sounds more like a case seperation than double charge( usually firearm is damaged ). I would be very concerned about powder charge varing more than .2g of anyone's reloads including my own.Some powders are sticky especially if cases are lubed ,I have to use Qtip to get all out, to check charge weights.
It is like falling off a horse or bike, get back on it, go again.
Shoot up my last 120 of that 500 batch and reloaded 500 new cases.Sorry for long post and yes it is un-nerving when it happens.
Good Shooting
Frank
Old March 4, 2005, 10:30 AM   #14
T- Bone

Amen, on the not gripping under the mag. I used to grip with a couple of fingers of my non shooting hand under the mag for support. After reading some of the old posts on this forum I changed that, and i'm glad I did. I saw a lot of fireworks come out from below the mag when I released my shot. I also felt the grip swell under my hand. As for where my shot hit, I didn't even check, I just packed my stuff away and ended the session with an urgent need to relieve myself. I don't know if It made any difference, but when mine came apart it was the last one in the mag. It didn't eject but it didn't stick in the chamber either.