The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 1, 2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Super Sneaky Steve

Ruger Single Nine .22 Magnum

Anyone seen this yet?

I'd love to get one but Ruger is so swamped with orders I bet it will be impossible to find for a while.

Old November 1, 2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Supposedly in stock!

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/a...8ba03&x=11&y=2
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 1, 2012, 11:55 PM   #3
weblance

Ive seen them in 3 Local Gun Shops. Not my cup of tea, and Im a Ruger fan. Maybe a Single Nine Convertible... Now that would sell.
Old November 2, 2012, 01:11 PM   #4
DAnjet500

Couple of gents selling them on the Ruger forum.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...?f=41&t=163504

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...?f=41&t=158931
Old November 2, 2012, 01:18 PM   #5
L_Killkenny

The Single 10 I'm all for, the Single 9 can die a fast yet agonizing death. Just find yourself a .327 Blackhawk or go with a good ol 6 shot .38.
Old November 2, 2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Ive seen them in 3 Local Gun Shops. Not my cup of tea, and Im a Ruger fan. Maybe a Single Nine Convertible... Now that would sell.
I have to agree. Personally, I think a six-shooter should hold six, not nine OR ten, but if Ruger was going to go this route IMHO they made a major blunder not making both the .22LR and the .22WMR as nine-shooters and selling it as a convertible.
Old November 2, 2012, 09:46 PM   #7
weblance

I have 2 Single Six convertibles, and the Single Ten. The Ten is great for plinking and very accurate. The Single Sixes are a great value, offering cheap, Long Rifle shooting and much more range, and knock down power, with the WMR cylinder. I dont see the benefit of a 22 WMR ONLY gun. I dont see them selling near as well as the Single Six convertible. If they eventually do offer a Single Nine convertible, I hope they dont drop the Single Six.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:45 AM   #8
bikerbill

great looking gun ... I'm a big fan of .22WMR, been looking for a revolver a bit larger than my NAA Pug; the Ruger is a beauty ...
Old November 3, 2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Hammerhead

I refuse to buy a revolver with plastic sights.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:57 PM   #10
seeker_two

Not really into the Single-Ten or the Single-Nine.....

.....but, if a Single-Nine Convertible Hunter were to come out.....
Old November 3, 2012, 01:06 PM   #11
jmortimer

I want one, but agreed, Ruger can't make their guns fast enough. Not sure anyone can predict when supply/demand will equal-out.
Old November 3, 2012, 03:04 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

The fugly sights and lack of a conversion cylinder will keep the Single Nine far from making it on my "maybe" list. (And that comes after the "Need" and "Want" lists.)

.22 WMR-only just doesn't appeal to me, and I like .22 WMR.
Old November 3, 2012, 10:31 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

I actually use the "Letter to the CEO" form on Rugers site. I complained a while back about looking at 22 revolvers and there being a few cheap ten shots available but no decent ones. Why couldn't Ruger make one. When They did I asked why they didn't make it convertible, even if it could only hold a few less rounds.

I'm probably selling my single-six convertible for a single ten at some point. If the single nine was convertible I would be interested. Can't be too hard to make an aftermarket cylinder though.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Super Sneaky Steve

I like a dedicated revolver for each, because the bullets aren't the same diameter.

A perfect fit for a .222" bullet isn't the same as a .224". That's why I don't like convertibles in general.
Old November 5, 2012, 01:13 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I like a dedicated revolver for each, because the bullets aren't the same diameter.

A perfect fit for a .222" bullet isn't the same as a .224". That's why I don't like convertibles in general.
That's not an option here, though...
Ruger only uses .224" barrels.
They don't use .222" barrels for .22 LR.
Old November 5, 2012, 05:25 AM   #16
CajunBass

Quote:
I have to agree. Personally, I think a six-shooter should hold six, not nine OR ten,
That's the way I feel about it too. I'm not trying to hold off the hords with it, and I'm in no hurry to shoot up my ammo, so I see no real advantage to a nine or ten shot revolver.

But I'm a grumpy old man.

Quote:
Not only are they plastic, they're ugly plastic. I gotta admit though, those black ones are getting harder to see for some reason. Must be something to do with global warming.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 5, 2012, 07:34 AM   #17
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a Single 10... like it, but don't love it yet... we'll see if it grows on me... I think I could live without the Single 9 in 22 Mag
Old November 5, 2012, 09:10 AM   #18
Rifleman1776

If I didn't have a Single Six convertible I would get a Single Ten. But, like many others, I'm not a big fan of the WMR and would not want a .22 mag. exclusive gun at all.
Old November 5, 2012, 10:13 PM   #19
Gazpacho

I have 2 Convertible Single Six revolvers, an I exclusively shoot 22 wmr out of them. The extra bang with 22 wmr is just a hoot!

The Single Ten is an optimized 22 lr single action revolver.

The Single Nine is an optimized 22 wmr single action revolver.

Since I prefer 22 wmr in this platform, I bought a Single Nine as my plinker. My 2 Convertibles are really for my show rig.

To be honest, I hate Fire Sights, and will be replacing them soon.

As to a six shooter should have six shots? I agree. However, the Single Nine is a nine shooter. If 19th century frontiersmen were offered a choice between a Colt SAA that held 6 shots, and one that held 9 in the same caliber, which one do you think they would choose?
Old November 6, 2012, 04:33 PM   #20
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Then think of them as throwaway like Savage synthetic stocks. They are fine for people who don't care and Ruger didn't want to waste money when the people who are particular were going to want a specific sight anyways.

I think the "barrels are different sizes" bit has been looked into several times and ALL the companies who are making both/convertibles are using the same barrel blanks for both. For many rifles also. Maybe a company like Freedom Arms isn't. I called around a bit when I was buuying mine and that was pretty much the story I got everywhere.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:52 PM   #21
22-rimfire

It would probably be a very practical 22 Mag revolver if you want one. I am not big on switching cylinders on the Single Six or some of the Colts.

I am NOT going to rush out to buy one, but I want to handle one. I love the feel of the Single Ten, but priorities have not allowed me to buy one.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; November 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: clarification
Old November 6, 2012, 11:56 PM   #22
weblance

And just so were all clear on this point... the sights are NOT plastic. The light pipes are plastic, but the sight bodies are metal.
Old November 8, 2012, 02:50 PM   #23
Steelers252006

What is "WMR" and "convertibles", please? Thanks!!
Old November 8, 2012, 02:56 PM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

Winchester Magnum Rimfire
a revolver with more than one cylinder 22 LR / 22 WMR... 45 ACP / 45 Colt, etc...
Old November 9, 2012, 01:04 AM   #25
weblance

Quote:
What is "WMR" and "convertibles"
WMR is a shortened term for 22 Magnum. Technically, the cartridge is 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire. A convertible is a revolver that comes from the factory with 2 cylinders. You can shoot different cartridges with these guns. Ruger makes several single action type revolvers that are convertibles. One is the Single Six convertible. Its a 22 caliber rimfire Single Action revolver with 22 Long Rifle, AND 22 WMR cylinders. Since the bullet diameters of the 22 Long Rifle( and also 22Short and 22 Long) and the 22 Magnum are very close, you can shoot these cartridges thru a barrel that is a slightly compromised for one of the cartridges. In this case, the 22 Long Rifle will not achieve optimum accuracy, because the barrel is optimised for the larger diameter bullet( in this case, the 22 Magnum bullet, because it is slightly larger in diameter). Some people claim the Single Six is more accurate with 22 WMR than with 22 Long Rifle, but in practice, most people will never notice any difference. I have 2 Single Six convertibles, and both are very accurate with the 22 Long Rifle Cylinder. You simply remove the base pin, and then the cylinder, install the other cylinder, and reinstall the base pin. Its as simple as that. The reason you need 2 cylinders for the different 22 offerings is because the WMR cartridge is larger in diameter and if you loaded Long Rifle into the Magnum cylinder, the case will burst when fired.

There are other convertibles available, Ruger makes several BlackHawks that ship with 2 cylinders, a .357-9mm, and a 45 Long Colt-45 ACP. There are also Double Action 22 revolvers that are convertible. They are the Taurus 922 and Charter Arms Pathfinder Combo. These are both 22 Long Rifle-22 WMR. There may be others also, but these are in current production.

Since the original topic of this thread is about Rugers new Single Nine, the mention of people wanting it offered as a convertible with 2 Nine shot cylinders is a real possibility. The Single Six, Single Nine and Single Ten are all essentially the same guns, they share the same frames, and many parts are interchangable, so a Single Nine convertible is possible. The general consensus is that a Single Ten convertible wont work because there isnt enough room for ten 22 WMR rounds, thats why the Single Nine was born.

Last edited by weblance; November 9, 2012 at 01:20 AM.