The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 17, 2009, 09:01 AM   #1
oudidntno

1851 Colt Navy cartridge firing models

Hi,

New to the forum. I love the 1851 Colt Navies for their look and feel. However, I want to purchase a smokeless cartridge firing model (not a b/p converted to cartridge but a repoduction gun manufactured with those components). I've looked at the Uberti's and Cimarron's, but the 1851 models I have found by both companies do not use the original plunger system of the b/p models. So to me, they look like they have been gutted and have lost the aesthetic appeal of the original 1851s. Therefore, does anyone out there know where I can find a 1851 repo. that fires modern ammo. and looks as close to a 1851 Colt Navy as possible- something like what was used in "The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly".

Thanks

Last edited by oudidntno; March 17, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old March 17, 2009, 09:21 AM   #2
CraigC

They are like the originals. On the original cartridge conversions, the rammer was removed and replaced with an ejector assembly. Which makes it awfully convenient for unloading. You're in luck though, Cimarron has a replica of the sixgun used in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Their "Man Without a Name" replica.
Old March 17, 2009, 10:39 AM   #3
oudidntno

Thanks for the info. The loading lever is pretty much useless on the cartridge models, but for some reason its gives the gun more aesthetic appeal to me.
Old March 17, 2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Tom2

He wants to shoot smokeless. Shouldn't you use a bit of caution with smokeless loads in an open top conversion? like light loads or something??
Old March 17, 2009, 06:51 PM   #5
mykeal

He should shoot the loads specified by the manufacturer of the gun. In the case of the Cimarron "Man With No Name", that's .38 Colt or .38 S&W Special. It's not .38 Special +P.
Old March 17, 2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Johnywinslow

just my opinion on this, i too have been looking around at conversions, I prefer remingtons though, but i like the idea that i can load up BP and ball cap it and its just as deadly as if the .45lc cylender was in it, the ease to change out the cylenders is considerably faster then unloading one at a time then loading one at a time. I think its worth the money to use JUST the conversion cylenders in an otherweise cap and ball revolver. you have more versitility in that in a time of ammo shortage or in the case of the .45lc a money shortage you can still go out and shoot cap and ball with no modifications to the weapon at all other then simply switching out the cylender. and its AUTHENTIC!
Old March 17, 2009, 08:43 PM   #7
olyinaz

Remington 1875

Remington model 1875 has the look of a cap and ball revolver yet it was made for cartridges. Just a suggestion!

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/outla...and_police.php

Cheers,
Oly
Old March 20, 2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Don P

The repops are designed to shoot metalic cartridges. Any idiot who chooses to shoot +p deserves the out come
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 20, 2009, 07:18 PM   #9
CraigC

I think I'd rather have a handy dandy ejector. Also, IMHO, the factory cartridge conversions are better made guns than their percussion brethren. Costs about the same to buy a percussion pistol and then a conversion cylinder, which has to be removed every time you reload, as it does to buy a factory cartridge conversion. Think I'd rather pay the extra $250 to have two different guns.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:09 PM   #10
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I think I'd rather have a handy dandy ejector. Also, IMHO, the factory cartridge conversions are better made guns than their percussion brethren. Costs about the same to buy a percussion pistol and then a conversion cylinder, which has to be removed every time you reload, as it does to buy a factory cartridge conversion. Think I'd rather pay the extra $250 to have two different guns.
Are you saying the the factory conversion guns are made from a different alloy? Better made? Fit and finish?

You can build a conversion with or with out an ejector and loading gate. Just depends on how involved you want to get.

I just don't see to point of a conversion with a safe full of SA revolvers already, although I would like a Colt 1861 Navy Richards-Mason Conversion. That would get my attention.
Old March 26, 2009, 02:11 PM   #11
chucksolo69

I believe Uberti has an 1851 Navy revolver in cap and ball that can be converted to cartridge by buying a conversion cylinder for it. I believe I saw it on their site.
Old March 26, 2009, 02:48 PM   #12
ClemBert

This conversion sure is purty!

1858 Remington Conversion