The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2004, 10:56 PM   #1
BerettaBob

Lee Turret Press is junk

I just started reloading and bought my first press. Its a Lee 3 Hole Turret Press Kit for the 9mm Luger. It doesn't properly advance from station to station. It appears to be poorly engineered. Is it just me or is this a piece of s__t? The Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure I bought with it doesn't appear to be much better quality either. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Old December 10, 2004, 10:57 PM   #2
bill k

Remember the name RCBS
Old December 10, 2004, 11:35 PM   #3
rwilson452

lee turret press

I used one for several years, no problem.
I used it untill I bought a Lee LoadMaster. gave the turret to a friend I think he is still using it. I was loading .45ACP .38SPL and 30-06 with it. all loads for 30-06 were trickle loaded. but the powder measure worked well for the .45 and .38. I still use the measure on my loadmaster.
Old December 11, 2004, 07:21 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

Ime

LEE makes some mightyfine handloading tooling, but their presses (I have two) are not.

Can always buy used RCBS / Redding / Hornady / Lyman...no-brainer gear choice is RCBS with its lifetime warranty.
Old December 11, 2004, 10:07 AM   #5
salemons

I have a Lee turret and I like it. Just bought a Lee loadmaster but have not recieved it yet. Had the same advancing problem with the turret. There is an easy adjustment to fix it. look in the instructions or go to the Lee web site. I don't have my papers handy but I think it might be just loosening and retightening the black collar around the spiral rotated rod. Its not the best press but I have done over 1500 9mm and at least 500 38/357 and am still sticking with Lee cuz the price is right.
Old December 11, 2004, 11:08 AM   #6
Leftoverdj

I have one and love it, but I do not have or want the auto index feature. I use mine as a single stage press with a quick die change feature.The Pro Auto Disk is much better than it looks. With most powders, it drops exactly the same charge time after time and it does it on the flaring step automatically. You might want to get the adjustable charge bar, though. The steps between the fixed cavities are a bit wide for my taste.

The Lee turret is a bit of a specialty item. I use mine to load straight wall cases and I usually need to change calibers every 50-100 rounds. It's also handy to have a spare turret holding stuff like the AutoPrime II, the Universal decapper, and the Universal flaring tool whan I am loading rifle cases on my Rockchucker.
Old December 11, 2004, 11:56 AM   #7
brokenfeather

BerettaBob, Question

If you are interested it selling it give me/us a qoute.
Old December 11, 2004, 01:49 PM   #8
HSMITH

Sell it and get a good press, the difference is like night and day. I use a lot of Lee products and I am thankful they exist (otherwise the others would have us by our dangling accoutrement where price is concerned), but I won't use the presses they make any more. I have one I cut up to make a powder measure stand, and another that I haven't found a use for yet.

The absolute best turret on the market right now is the Redding T7, if you want a turret get one. You won't be sorry.
Old December 12, 2004, 07:17 AM   #9
Hal

Old December 12, 2004, 07:19 AM   #10
Hal

Quote:
Lee Turret Press is junk
I agree.
When my 20something year old one quits, I'll get a better one.

Like a couple of others have posted, I use mine as a single stage also and load nothing but straight walled cases.
Old December 12, 2004, 08:57 AM   #11
Rabbi

Speaking of Lee presses, has anyone tried the new Lee cast-iron press? I've heard that they are as sturdy as an RCBS.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Rabbi
Old December 12, 2004, 09:48 AM   #12
sundog

I have two of them. One I converted to a four holer. Both are more than 10 years old. Not the best quality press available, but the do load good ammo. Okay for the money spent on them. They have adequately loaded thousands of rounds of straight wall pistol ammo. No plans to replace them.
Old December 12, 2004, 11:06 AM   #13
MADISON

Lee 3 Hole Turret Press Kit

Congratulations of buying the Lee 3 Hole Turret Press Kit.
Do yourrealize that until a few wears ago there was MANUAL INDEXING on your Lee Turret Press. Then indexing became an add-on.

Work with the press and things will come around to your way of doing things.
Old December 12, 2004, 02:45 PM   #14
snuffy

look at the webpage

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi
BB The last entry on this webpage from Lee tells how to fix the problem with your turret indexer.

I wasn't aware that the Redding t-7 had an auto indexer. Or do you have to reach up to turn it each time you advance the loading process¿ Can you speel SLOW¿ Might as well do batch reloading, then you only have to turn the turret once between each operation. I could load as fast on my co-ax, it takes less time to change dies than to turn the turret! Realize that 4 pulls of the handle resulted in a loaded shell with my 4 hole turret.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 13, 2004, 08:30 PM   #15
Ruger # 1

I have 3 Lee presse, including the turret press. I really like all of them and have had no problems. Lee makes a really good product for the money. If you continue to have problems, you should contact Lee and discuss it with them. It's my understanding they are good about fixing their problems.
Old December 14, 2004, 10:00 AM   #16
crazylegs

Dangling Accoutrement?
Heck of a visualalization.
crazylegs
Old December 14, 2004, 10:31 AM   #17
yorec

I have to laugh whenever I see someone compare how sturdy other brand dies are compared to Lee. Lee products are deisigned for a lifetime and built to last when used correctly. They are not built to be abused or "ape loaded" with as many other brands are. The savings of the materials the company realizes are reflected in lower prices for us, the consumer. So when I see someone say how much "more sturdy" thier brand press is - translate to mean "more money" I paid for this over built thing!

I've used Lee hand presses without fail for better than twenty years. They are up to the task if used correctly.

But my progressive loader is a Dillon. The extra cost for it is about thier no BS warranty though it seems pretty "ape proof" too. Dillion is the best, but Lee is always somewhere on my bench.
Old December 14, 2004, 12:29 PM   #18
mtnbkr

I've used my 4 hole (previously 3 hole) Lee Turret Press for nearly 5 years and 5000 rounds. It's loaded 38special, 357mag, 32acp, and 6.5x55 without any problem at all. I ripped the auto indexing system out pretty early and index by hand. I still do better than 100rounds/hour when indexing by hand.

The autodisk measure works well for me as well.

Chris
Old December 16, 2004, 11:20 AM   #19
Mikke

Quote:
Speaking of Lee presses, has anyone tried the new Lee cast-iron press? I've heard that they are as sturdy as an RCBS.

Any comments?
I bought one (cheap) a couple of months ago to replace my Lee Challanger, and I must say it's a world of difference! I can't compare it directly with RCBS or any other brand single stage, but judging from my RCBS Pro-2000 I think it's at least very close.

The Classic Cast is very stable, absolutely no flexing, really great value.
Can think of two negative things with it, the mounting holes is too close to the front edge, so if you screw it into a table that isn't good enough it might rip them out (from the table, press is unhurt).
The other is that spent primers sometimes don't go down the tube like they're supposed to. Others have reported it works great, so might just be me or my press.
Both minor issues to me, and fixable if I bother to spend some time on it.
Old December 16, 2004, 11:54 AM   #20
Austin Charles

I love mine, I do however have the same complaints as you do.

But I use a separate Lee Challanger press just for depriming.

Infact I just ordered another Cast Press. That way I can Size and flare the brass in one phase and seat and crimp in another phase.

For the price I could never see the reason to pay the $$$ for a Rock Chucker press.

I'm glad to see Lee has finally came out with a press that compares with the Rock chucker.
Old December 18, 2004, 05:12 PM   #21
caz223

I like their dies and various items, but their presses are hit/miss compared to a dillon.
Old December 19, 2004, 10:57 AM   #22
Colduglandon

The auto disk works fine for me. Bought double disk kit to load rifle ammo on my single stage Challenger.

I have had the Challenger for over 10 years and use it for rifle. I bought the Progressive 1000(3 hole) 7 or more years ago. It's fine for 45 and 357/38. A buddy of mine uses his for .223. Will this convert to 4 hole?

Lee is adequate for me and it was affordable.

Biggest problem has been primer feeding, but if I remember to keep it clean it works just fine.

If you are having a problem, contact the company.