The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 30, 2002, 11:27 PM   #1
amprecon

255gr. OAL

The .45acp LoadMap says that the OAL for the 255gr. lswc bullet is 1.275. However, if I seat them to that depth and load them into my S&W 625-6, the bullet will not load into the cylinder all the way, the .452 diameter lead bullet hits the shoulder in the cylinder.
If I seat the bullet in the acp case to 1.212 depth, the case mouth is at the bottom of the "ridge" on the bullet and looks "right", but is it safe? I am using just enough taper crimp to make the case mouth straight and flush with the "ridge" of the bullet.
I am loading 5.2 grains of Unique as per the LoadMap. Do any of you have any experience with this bullet and load out of the S&W 625?
I had planned to use this bullet in some auto-rim cases that I've bought, but don't have the AR shell-plate for my 550B yet so I'm using them in the acp cases to play with.
What are the most accurate loadings with this bullet with the acp and auto-rim cases? I understand that the AR cases can withstand higher pressures, what is a good "boondocking"/big game AR load that any of you have experience with?
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old December 1, 2002, 12:35 AM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello, sir. I recently posted the information shown on the link concerning this revolver and a load that uses a 255 gr CSWC in AR cases.

Here's the link if interested: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...t=range+report

Here's a picture of the loaded round which is 1.20" LOA and using 6.0 gr Unique, I get an average velocity of 860 ft/sec. There is no excessive bulging of cases and they shake out of the cylinder without using the extractor so I think you're plenty safe.

These are taper-crimped in a manner similar to your description.

I assume your rounds look similar other than being in ACP cases?

Best and good luck.

Old December 2, 2002, 05:14 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

45 ACP / 1911 / 252g LRN-FP

I load mine so I'm in the crimp groove; maybe I should check my data for OAL.
I use W231.
Caspian, of course.

ps don't EVER use Midway's LoadMap OAL unless you can PROVE it fits in your gun (or mags). Their data is through test receivers ONLY, and should be reduced if using it in real guns.