The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1
jhenry

What do you all charge your tumbling media with?

I finally used up the stuff I bought locally after a few years. It was Berry's Brass Bright that I used in ground walnut shells. What have you all used with good results.
Old February 24, 2012, 10:33 AM   #2
BDS-THR

NuFinish liquid car polish (not paste).

I add two capfuls to pre-treat new fine grit walnut media (24 grit) and run the tumbler until all the clumps are gone (I even stir the media with a stick to speed up the process).

I add another capful every 2-4 batches and it works well to clean my range brass (about 20-30 minutes) and polish (about 45 min - 1 hour+). If I want even more shine, I will polish using corn cob media and NuFinish.

Benefits are the residual polish on the brass acts like case lube to help with resizing pistol cases when using carbide sizing dies and also helps prevent brass from tarnishing and maintain the shine.

Last edited by BDS-THR; February 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added pic
Old February 24, 2012, 10:55 AM   #3
jhenry

I have that very product out in my garage area right now. I am going to try it today, thanks.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Walkalong

I am using the new formula (Thinner) Midway polish right now, but have used Nu-Finish, and cannot tell the difference.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:35 AM   #5
jcwit

Any left over liquid auto polish works.

Currently using Meguiar's.

Pastes will work as well, just takes more time for them to breakdown in the tumbler, but then you don't need to use as much either, just a half teaspoon when starting a new patch of media.
Old February 24, 2012, 12:07 PM   #6
David Bachelder

+ Nu Finish.
Old February 24, 2012, 01:47 PM   #7
wingman

Nu Finish and lizard litter plus dryer sheets cut up used this recipe for years with good results.
Old February 24, 2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Eazmo

Quote:
Nu Finish and lizard litter plus dryer sheets cut up used this recipe for years with good results
^^^^^yuppers exactly that^^^^^^^^
two hours and they come out shinning like a diamond in goats ars

Last edited by Eazmo; February 24, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old February 24, 2012, 04:37 PM   #9
jhenry

I used the Nu Finish with very nice results on some pretty tarnished old brass. What will the cut up dryer sheets do? We certainly have those in abundance around here.
Old February 24, 2012, 04:38 PM   #10
jcwit

To all those who post Nu-Finish being so great, have any of you tried any of the other liquid auto polishes such as Mguiar's, Turtle Wax, Mother's, ect., ect. Hey guys, experiment!

Just wondering.

I've also used Nu-Finish BTW
Old February 24, 2012, 05:52 PM   #11
wingman

Quote:
What will the cut up dryer sheets do? We certainly have those in abundance around here.
Picks up dirt, easy to remove after tumbling, helps media last longer IMO.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:16 PM   #12
jcwit

Just a tip, for those who might want an inexpensive place to purchase media try here, with free shipping right to your door.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/52...bs_blast_media

No I do not have any association with them, actually have never used them, I believe they are the retail arm of Graingers, but not positive about that.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:19 PM   #13
wild willy

I use Turtle Wax scratch and swirl remover.Have used it for several years works fine don't know if it works better or worse than Nu finish. Never used Nu finish
Old February 24, 2012, 06:50 PM   #14
jepp2

The only difference I have noticed between NuFinish and Meguiar's is the smell. Both seem to do the same job at cleaning and polishing your brass. Both leave a nice protective coat on the brass that reduces the sizing effort and resist tarnishing.

I use lots of other media additives. For just cleaning or to remove sizing lube I just add OMS (odorless mineral spirits) to plain media. I have used Frankford Arsenal brass case polish. It shines very well but tends to leave a film on the cases. Plain media will remove dirt but it takes a long time if you want to brighten the brass without adding something to it. I don't find that much difference between walnut hull or corncob media. Walnut might clean a bit better, and corncob might shine a bit better.
Old February 24, 2012, 06:59 PM   #15
jimbob86

Nothin', except used dryer sheets to clean it.

Used the same stuff for years.
Old February 24, 2012, 08:28 PM   #16
jcwit

Quote:
For just cleaning or to remove sizing lube I just add OMS (odorless mineral spirits) to plain media.
I rinse mine in White Gas, AKA Naptha, or Coleman Fuel. Here we can buy White Gas from the pump as we have many, many Amish that use it for their lanterns, heaters, etc. Price per gal is still under $4.00.

It evaporates fast, ya, you have to be careful and I suggest doing it outdoors, but then filling my lawn mower can be dangerous also.

Key words again, COMMON SENSE!
Old February 24, 2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Vance

I use stainless steel pins for media and I add water, Dawn dish washing liquid and Lemishine. Put that all in a Thumblers model B tumbler with my cases and they come out with a mirror shine. Even the primer pockets get shined up. Yes I decap before tumbling.
Old February 24, 2012, 10:39 PM   #18
BDS-THR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwit
To all those who post Nu-Finish being so great, have any of you tried any of the other liquid auto polishes such as Mguiar's, Turtle Wax, Mother's, ect., ect.
Actually I have. I tried several Carnauba based liquid car waxes (pure Carnauba and blend) and polymer based liquid car polishes/paint sealant to include Turtle wax, Meguiar's, Mother's, Eagle One, Zymol, etc.

What I found with most liquid car waxes (especially Carnauba based) is that they didn't clean the dirty brass as well as polymer based car polishes so I ended up with shiny tarnished/dark/dirty cases.

Since I use liquid NuFinish to clean up bug splatter, road grime and tar off of paint/clear coat, polymer based "cleaner wax/polish" did a better job of cleaning dirty cases and polishing them at the same time. Of the "cleaner wax/polish" types, NuFinish seemed to do the best job of limited test samples of car waxes/polishes I had in my garage. I can't say if there are other "cleaner wax/polish" that may do a better job of cleaning and polishing brass cases. If there are any, I would love to hear about them.
Old February 25, 2012, 07:36 AM   #19
Uncle Buck

Quote:
What do you all charge your tumbling media with?
Master card if the wife is not looking, cash if she is. (Sorry, rough night and an early morning.)

Nu-finish is what I use. It works and I have enough to last me until 2019. Some times, re-inventing the wheel can be expensive.
Old February 25, 2012, 07:55 AM   #20
tpcollins

Since I use the small stainless steel media, I think water only would work but I do add a little LemiShine.
Old February 25, 2012, 09:59 AM   #21
oneounceload

I add red jewelers rouge to my combo of walnut and corn cob media. Makes things nice and shiny
Old February 25, 2012, 01:04 PM   #22
mikld

Nuttin'! A while back I accidently mixed some walnut shells (lizzard litter) with some corn cob (http://www.drillspot.com/products/49...bs_blast_media), and it worked quite well. Now that's all I use and I get clean, shiny brass. Occationally I'll drop some mineral spirits into dirty (?) media, but I ferget mostly. Works for me and my Lyman wobbler...
Old February 25, 2012, 05:27 PM   #23
Hawg

Meguiar's
Old February 27, 2012, 11:07 AM   #24
LarryFlew

NuFinish and a bit of red jewelers rouge. Only started using the rouge because I found 4 bars of it and had to find a use for it. It does add to the polishing.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:21 PM   #25
MrDontPlay

Do any of you guys use these things in lymans tumbling media?