The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2010, 01:26 PM   #1
k31

what sounds would a dieng deer make(coyote hunting)

how would i imitate the sounds of a hurt deer
the other day i found a deer carcass that coyotes have been picking on and the hide had been pulled back and left in the snow
i cant get a coyote out of the sage brush enough to see for a clear shot so when i saw this dead deer in the middle of the field i had an idea
its just crazy enough it might work i was going to clean up the hide some and put a scent treated wash on it and use it as camo the idea was that if i could imitate a hurt deer i could sit i the dead open no sage brush and lure them out into the feild also i could move a little and be able to check behind me at my blind spots and my moving a little bit under the hide might actualy look some what like a hurt deer
it is an act of desperation and if it worked for the native americans it might still work now a day
Old November 30, 2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Edward429451

Use deer hide as camo? What about Bubba? He's out there somewhere with his new 300 superoverload Magnum and thinks he sees a hurt deer. I'd rethink that one.

Wailing Wabbit calls are cheap and coyotes come to them sometimes. The one deer that wailed for me upon being shot sounded very much like a crying baby.
Old November 30, 2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Ludarue

I'm sorry but that just sounds like a terrible idea honestly. It is deer season (atleast here) and would hate for you to wind up on the front of the newspaper with a headline that reads "What was he thinking?".
Old November 30, 2010, 02:15 PM   #4
srkavanagh6621

haha good luck doesnt sound like a real good idea to me! personally I use the rabbit call or sometimes the wailing woodpecker call or whatever. either one works, howling them in works also sometime. Its easier to but that deer pile out somewhere where you know coyotes are and sneak on them! I have killed a lot like that or in The great state of south dakota its legal to shoot them out the Window since there are so many of those damn things and they are a nuisance.
Old November 30, 2010, 02:30 PM   #5
k31

all hunting seasons are way past over just rabbit right now and thank you for pointing out the one huge flaw over looked in my hair brain scheme coyote is open season year round
again it is desperation i have been using a rabbit call i use squeakers i have a primos diaphragm call that i suck at horribly so it stays home i even use a turkey feather on a stick the only brush we have is at best 3 feet high but it hides coyotes amazingly well i have gut shot one and haven't seen more than a glimpse of anything but rabbits
how do you get them within 100 yards for a good shot and out in the open at the same time
Old November 30, 2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Deer sometimes make a baaAAAaaa sound when they die, like a calf, or lamb.

Hard to type the sound...
Old November 30, 2010, 02:54 PM   #7
Scorch

Predator call makers call it "Fawn In Distress", and it is on several digital calls.

If you think you will get coyotes to come out into the open with you sitting there, you will be disappointed. They can spot you a mile off (literally), and they know their territory intimately. Camo is required (I used to use my military camo uniform "ghillied"), and concealment to break up your profile is absolutely necessary (that means hide in the bushes, face down).

Predator call makers have made it easier by offering remote control models for very reasonable prices lately. But you still need camo and concealment.
Old November 30, 2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Ludarue

Grab yourself a simple rabbit call like the MAD cottontail or something. Look up a youtube video on rabbit calling, and do the call until it matches what the experts are doing. There are a lot of rumors flying around in this arear that the digital calls just don't seem to cut it anymore.
Old November 30, 2010, 04:06 PM   #9
jal5

that deer carcass might work best right where it is...leave it there as an attractant since they are already working it over.

you must camo yourself, head to foot, even more so than deer hunting.
a decent ground blind camo might workout for you so that you can over look that carcass and wait till they show up. i would do the fawn in distress call in that situation too.

Joe
Old November 30, 2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Daryl

As one who's been successfully calling and killing coyotes since 1976, I'd suggest learning what really works, and what doesn't.

If you can't get the coyotes to come out into the open, then get in the brush with them. Use an e-caller of some kind, and put the speaker out in the field just a bit.

Then put you inside the tree-line, far enough back in the trees so that you can barely see the edge of the clearing.

That way when the coyotes investigate, and stay back in the trees far enough to not be seen, you'll have an easy target.

Or call with a buddy, alternating who calls/shoots, and get the same affect.

A weasle ball placed on an upside-down frisbee makes a decent decoy. They're available as kid's toys, and in fact I saw one yesterday morning at a Cracker Barrel in Pueblo Colorado.

Coyotes are very able critters, and they don't usually fall for stupid stuff. Set up so that you'll get the smart ones, and you'll get the dumb ones, too.

Daryl
Old November 30, 2010, 05:02 PM   #11
Pahoo

Quote:
peetzakilla: Deer sometimes make a baaAAAaaa sound when they die, like a calf, or lamb.
As far as deer, this discription is about as close as I can tell. I call it"Bawling". Really don't know if it would work as I have never tried it. I use a distressed rabbit and it works well. I have also called them in with a distressed Crow call that I was using to get crows in. Did not intend for this but we do have an open season on Coyotes and keep a eye out, while hunting crows.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 30, 2010, 05:20 PM   #12
Charles Ellis

This is the kind of thinking that makes one a candidate for the Darwin Award.
Old November 30, 2010, 05:21 PM   #13
howlnmad

I hate to say this but... are you trying out for a Darwin award? All you'd need is some stupid poacher to show.

But, if you really need to know. The only sound I can remember is... thud .
Old November 30, 2010, 05:36 PM   #14
markj

Use that and take some shooting sticks too, but hold them at head level

We kill deer, bone them out, place the stuff we dont eat in a pile just outside the treeline, wait till about midnight, then spotlite and shoot till they are all dead or gone. Repeat as nessasary.

Find a bitch in heat, tie her out in an opening, yotes will come to her smell.
(My female is in heat, yotes been howling all night long), we shot 4 so far then clouds. Maybe tonight we can get some more.

You can also trap em, dont poison them tho.
Old November 30, 2010, 05:46 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

One of my more memorable hunts included a friend yelling across a mountain meadow, "Your brother is shooting sheep!"

The wounded deer was shot from an elevated position (very steep canyon), so the round ball passed through the spinal cord before hitting the vitals. That paralyzed deer was dragging itself uphill, trying to gore my brother.
And it sounded like an angry sheep...
Old November 30, 2010, 06:50 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I figured out a way to describe how to make the sound... I think....

See if this works... This seems weird, I know....

Put the tip of your tongue between your bottom teeth and lip, as far as possible.

Make your voice "deep" and say "Bat", a little drawn out, and sort of "desperate" sounding. That's pretty much the sound...
Old November 30, 2010, 07:39 PM   #17
nathaniel

Look here: http://www.gofoxpro.com/fpsounds/index.php

I have one of these when I feel too lazy to use my mouth calls.
Old November 30, 2010, 08:09 PM   #18

I have heard the sound that deer make when dying translates to "Mother scratcher that hurts".

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 30, 2010, 08:47 PM   #19
k31

just to put it out yes it was a dumb idea thank you for pointing it out so many times before
so back to the real dilemma deserts dont have tree lines just an endless sea of sage with
if you haven't looked out over a valley full of sage think of it like this
take all the trees and bushes and grass back east and turn them all into a a bush about 3 foot high and3 feet around every piece of vegetation in the woods behind your house think of a gray brown teal or sandy color bush
what a frustrating sport
and yes i am camoed out i where my three d mossy on top and white pants my face shroud and even have a snow tunic to put over all that
i think i just need to find some one else that hunts and go with them the learn by your self thing is so aggravating
Old December 3, 2010, 03:14 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
i think i just need to find some one else that hunts and go with them the learn by your self thing is so aggravating
But the payoff in teaching yourself is much more rewarding.
My brothers and I grew up hunting with a bunch of idiots (sadly, related by blood). When we started hunting on our own, we had to throw everything we "knew" out the window, and start over.
In doing so, we have each found a style of hunting we prefer, and likely never would have tried if we had kept hunting like the idiot 'role models' we grew up watching.
Old December 3, 2010, 03:15 PM   #21
woodguru

If you were Coyote hunting you wouldn't have a dying deer, would you?
Old December 3, 2010, 06:30 PM   #22
k31

no the idea behind the dieing deer was to be able to use the old hide for cover and get into a huge open area that the yotes refuse to get into
so by being under a hide i dont have to be afraid to move i check behind me and in front of me left right and while turning it would make the hide a little more appetizing and i would be able to see all edges of the field while the circle and come in (i hoped) but something i fear more than coyotes packing together and thinking im dinner is a simple tiny chunk of metal hurled out of a rile so no i would ever poach a deer just to sit under it ild have to be perty broke and perty hungry and still why waist deer rabbit squirrel and crow all taste fine and if your back east snapper has multiple flavors of meat white dark flake rubbery take your pick
Old December 3, 2010, 07:06 PM   #23
woodguru

What.....

Was that just me, but what was that you just said?
Old December 3, 2010, 08:24 PM   #24
YARDDOG(1)

Deer sometimes make a baaAAAaaa sound when they die, like a calf, or lamb.

Yes Very good, Get a grunt caller that adjusts to yung buck,doe & fawn
And the rabbit call is excellent either or JMO ; )
Y/D
Old December 4, 2010, 02:36 AM   #25
mdd

Moving at all while calling coyotes is the worst thing you can do. You need movement away from you at least 75 feet, preferably remote activated & at a diagonal so they don't see you in the back ground. Sneak it, sit down, shut up. Let your set cool off for twenty minutes or so. Then activate your 'bait' and start squeaking.
I like cabela's open country 3d line of camo for what sounds like similar terrain. They also have a line of camo with a similar pattern but on a white background for blending in with snow/brush.