The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Jamesmb

magnum primers

Hi

I am new to reloading, currently just using a Lee Classic Loader kit. I have been using AAN9 powder and Winchester small pistol primers, but notice after firing these 357 reload magnums of mine, some unburnt powder in the empty shell. Just wonder if small magnum primers would help burn this? Thanks, James
Old January 25, 2008, 05:38 PM   #2
thekyrifleman

They might help....BUT...be sure to reduce your load and start increasing slowly. they'll be hotter for sure.
Old January 25, 2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Sevens

A little unburnt powder is a typical characteristic of some loads and some charge/powder combinations. If you feel you are getting the velocity you like, and your accuracy is at a level you seek, then there's no reason to worry about a few unburnt powder flakes.
Old January 25, 2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Jamesmb

Hi, I am using starting loads, and in comparison to the factory 357 magnums I shoot, mine are very mild. Wonder if a shorter OAL slightly would increase pressure too. I am setting mine close to the 1.590" Max length.
Old January 25, 2008, 10:16 PM   #5
craigcolorado

unique

Unique powder will do the same as well....a little anyways. And My 357 loads are accurate and not exactly mild! Not radical...but hot enough for sure. But I do use magnum primers...check the reloading book on all powders that you use. Just don't try for maximum loads. It's simply not needed.

I carry this stainless ruger revolver while I run around the BLM areas of Colorado. I decided to carry a wheel gun for very simple reason. Dust or snow, rain...whatever the conditions...this gun will function if and when it is needed.

Don't be concerned about some unburnt powder. I'll say it again.....Just don't overload!!!!!

Use the Lee case trimmer...you'll never need a caliper plus every round will be exactly the same length and the Lee ase trimmer is really mistake proof...nearly.

Last edited by craigcolorado; January 25, 2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added comment
Old January 25, 2008, 10:55 PM   #6
joneb

please state the firearm and bullet you are using.
Old January 25, 2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Jamesmb

Well I am going to the gunshow tomorrow and going to look at scales. Right now i measure with the .7cc cup that came with the kit.

I am using a 1971 Smith & Wesson model 19-3, 4" barrel. The bullets are Zero bullets, 158gr JHP. Powder is Accurate Arms Number 9 and Winchester small pistol primers. The shells are from some Sellier & Bellot I shot. Did buy some Franklin Arsenal Calipers and measure every bullets OAL, not measured the shells alone though.

Another problem I might be having is getting a good crimp on the bullet kinda afraid to hammer the round too hard I guess with this.
Old January 25, 2008, 11:31 PM   #8
joneb

are these bullets plated or jacked ? do they have a cannalure ?

Sorry, I will assume jacketed with a cannalure, for this type of bullet and weight, I have no problems with AA#9 and WSP primers in my Ruger Security Six w/a 2.75" barrel, I would guess the cylinder throats in your Smith are smaller than my Ruger which should help with start pressure.
Quote:
Another problem I might be having is getting a good crimp
BINGO
Old January 25, 2008, 11:55 PM   #9
Jamesmb

http://208.178.180.130/mm5/merchant....ry_Code=JPB-38
these are them, I bought 500 last show.
Old January 26, 2008, 12:48 AM   #10
joneb

James, for slower powders a heavy crimp will provide a good powder burn, AA#9 is a good powder choice for 158gr bullets and up. To ensure a constant heavy crimp your cases must be of equal length. For 158gr JHP I load 13.2-13.5gr of AA#9 with WSP.
Old January 26, 2008, 02:09 AM   #11
Jamesmb

Yeah Im afraid to hit the mallet too much, and that is how I make a crimp with this kit. Are you using the 13.5gr of AA#9 in the loading data as a starting load figure? I see for horndy 158gr xtp bullet it gives that and 15gr for a maximum see link below. With these cups I am using it says the .7cc cup I use is 10.7gr of AA#9 so I am a bit low on the powder too. The 1cc cup which is the next higher though is about 15.4gr which would be too much. Think I need a scale. Some other data I have for 158gr hp, maybe not jacketed, gives a starting value of 10.7gr though. When I called the Zero bullet company they used Horndy data for their calculating.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/P...20to%20102.pdf
Old January 26, 2008, 02:58 AM   #12
joneb

I sorry James, in a moment of blinding ignorance I totally missed your situation It's been 25 yrs since I've used the Lee loader system, and I apologize for my error Beating live rounds with a mallet on the concrete garage floor does bring back memories though Please excuse jj
Old January 26, 2008, 12:22 PM   #13
Jamesmb

Did you ever have any accidentally go off when doing crimps!?! I went to the gunshow today, hoping to get some small magnum primers, a Lee auto Primer and a scale, but came out with nothing. Not even a primer pocket cleaner. I really need a scale.

I have done about 200 to 300 rounds so far with the Lee Kit and really is not too bad except for the occasional primer going off when I set them. I know another person that has this problem too. With glasses and ear muffs on not too bad.
Old January 26, 2008, 02:31 PM   #14
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Did you ever have any accidentally go off when doing crimps!?!
Like jibjab, it's been a looong time since I used a Lee Loader. I never had one go off on me no matter how hard I hammered during the seating step. Mind you, I didn't bang away with a sledge hammer either. I used a plastic mallet, but I did hit them hard. Now, I did have several primers go off during that step, but never while seating.

Look at it from this viewpoint: have you ever heard of a round going off in a revolver cylinder? Not likely, yet they are under severe force when the gun is fired - measured up to 1500 G's with full house .44 mag. I doubt you can create that kind of force with a hammer especially considering that the round is held in place and relatively still with nothing touching the primer when seating a bullet and crimping.

Quote:
I really need a scale.
Yes, you do. The dippers rarely give consistent loads. I have found them to almost always be low in weight. Only a scale is going to give you the accuracy required.
Old January 26, 2008, 02:37 PM   #15
Jamesmb

Thanks Mal H

Glad to hear about no rounds going off. Next time I reload I will try to get a better crimp. Use a plastic mallet also here. Been looking at the Lee scale or might get a digital scale.
Old January 26, 2008, 04:30 PM   #16
Red_Eagle

Get a scale

You can get a Lee safety scale from Cabela's, Midway USA, or Mid south and have it at your house in a week for less than $30.00. I got one one thursday. Its as accurate as my RCBS 505 and actually easy too use once you know what your looking at. I'd recommend a set of check weights too. The Lee dippers vary charge weights depending on how you scoop out.
Old January 26, 2008, 05:09 PM   #17
Jamesmb

Probably what I will do. Found this Lee scale for $17.40 though after sales tax, Im in state and shipping come to $30.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...ir=210|212|236
Old January 26, 2008, 06:45 PM   #18
Red_Eagle

Thats the cheapest I've ever seen it. I bout mine from Midway and it was $18 and change with my birthday discount (turned 35 today). When you get it check out the thread I open on the Lee safety scales the other day. Lots of good info if you've never used a 2 poise scale before.