The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 22, 2013, 08:54 AM   #1
gpjoe

CZ 527 Carbine Scope Mount Question

OK, I have a CZ 527 Carbine in .223 Rem on order, should have it by the end of the week. I am aware of the clearance issues with the bolt handle and ocular bell of a scope mounted on this rifle.

My question is: Can the owners of this rifle post their set-up?

I have ordered a cheap Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 and some Warne medium rings from SWFA. I spoke with Dillon at SWFA and he believes that this set-up will work becuase, in his words, the scope is "slender".

I have no problem getting a contoured bolt (calhoon or Reloading Tools) if necessary in order to avoid having to use the high mounts, but want to keep the scope as low as possible to avoid problems with cheek weld.

So, any advice or wisdom that you can provide is appreciated. And please, if you have a CZ rifle with a scope, please post what you are using (scope, rings, replacement bolt handle, if applicable).

Thanks
Old January 22, 2013, 09:59 AM   #2
west5757

I, too, am interested in this question. I have decided that I am going to go with the weaver rail and low rings and see how this setup works. I have a Redfield 2x7-33 that I am going to mount on it.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3
PetahW

I used Burris low rings with a Leupold 2-7x28 Compact, and had plenty of obj bell clearance on my .22H CZ-527, so I would think that a scope with a 32mm or 33mm obj bell would readily clear, using medium height rings from whomever.

Old January 22, 2013, 10:51 AM   #4
gpjoe

Thanks PetahW.

I will try out my set-up when all the stuff arrives and post the results here for west5757 and anyone else that might be interested.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Jerry45

Weaver to CZ rail. http://kinneysshootingsupply.com/cz5...022-p-965.html Nice people fast service.

UTG quick relies "MEDIUM" rings. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/30mm_Q...ent_Grade/3472 Have gotten several sets of rings from them. Never a problem.

NightForce 8-32x56. If you have and are willing to spend the money you won't be disappointed.

Eye relief is good. You may or may not need a pad to get your eye centered in the scope. There is plenty of clearance for the Bolt handle.

CZ 527 .223

Last edited by Jerry45; January 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:11 PM   #6
chris in va

I have the medium (I think) CZ rings with a cheap BSA 4x30 mil-dot scope. Bolt handle clears the bell, but just.

Oh, this is on my x39 carbine.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:30 AM   #7
stubbicatt

Wow. Compared to that rifle, that scope looks like something one would find on Mt. Palomar!

That was a proportional problem I chose to ignore with my little CZ527! It seems strange to be manipulating such a tiny little bolt underneath such a huge scope.

A photo of sorts showing how I contoured the bolt.

Last edited by stubbicatt; January 25, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Redneckrepairs

Burris med height rings with a weaver 40/44 4x12 that mounts almost against the rear sight . No pics uploaded yet but i might see if i can take one today
Old January 25, 2013, 09:53 AM   #9
RUT

How does one remove the existing bolt handle, pray tell?
Old January 25, 2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Redneckrepairs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlaHh_ZTYfk

and if the bolt is a worry ( its not to me ) http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_065.htm
Old January 25, 2013, 10:24 AM   #11
RUT

So, it would appear it just pulls out/off. Hmmm

And yes, I have seen CRT's replacement bolt handle, but it's a shame to have to put another $100.00 into the equation just for a lousy bolt handle. The Calhoun option would seem to be more cost effective. Actually, CZ is the one who should be coming up with a low cost remedy.

Thanks for forwarding....

Last edited by RUT; January 25, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:09 AM   #12
wnycollector

Quote:
And yes, I have seen CRT's replacement bolt handle, but it's a shame to have to put another $100.00 into the equation just for a lousy bolt handle. The Calhoun option would seem to be more cost effective. Actually, CZ is the one who should be coming up with a low cost remedy.
+1 on that. I was just about to click the buy button over at GrabaGun for a new CZ527 varmint laminate .223 but I just couldn't buy a brand new rifle and then spend an extra $100 to fix a problem that should have been dealt with by the manufacturer. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Tikka T3 Varmint
Old January 26, 2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbicatt
Wow. Compared to that rifle, that scope looks like something one would find on Mt. Palomar!
I'm a function over esthetics kind of guy. I could care less how someone thinks it looks, it works fantastically (for me) and I didn't have to chop up my bolt to get it to work. I can hit a thumbtack at 100 yards can you even see one at that range?
Old January 26, 2013, 02:43 PM   #14
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnycollector
I was just about to click the buy button over at GrabaGun for a new CZ527 varmint laminate .223 but I just couldn't buy a brand new rifle and then spend an extra $100 to fix a problem that should have been dealt with by the manufacturer.

I don't understand why people are having a problem. Take a look at my rifle. That's a HUGE scope. $30.00 bucks for a rail (which I wanted anyway) and there is no problem.
Old January 26, 2013, 06:04 PM   #15
RUT

>>I don't understand why people are having a problem. Take a look at my rifle.<<

You have no problem because of how high your scope is sitting. The folks complaining are the ones who want to use lower rings so that don't have to use a cheek pad etc.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:47 PM   #16
Jerry45

Show me a rifle with a high power scope and low rings. The bolt handle isn't the only problem you'll run into. The objective lens of a high power scope will contact the barrel using low rings. Scope size and ring height go hand and hand. Big scope high rings. Low rings small objective lower power. I wouldn't and didn't passing up an excellent rifle for non-problem. Don't want to use a cheek pad. Put a 0-4 x 22 or 4 x 22 scope and medium rings without a rail. Those are actually medium rings and that's a 30 mm. tube on my rifle. The rail gives added height. So again what are they complaining about?

Last edited by Jerry45; January 26, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:58 PM   #17
RUT

They're complaining because they don't have a high power scope such as yours, and want to get it down a bit lower. I understand you have no choice, but that doesn't apply to all of us.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:19 PM   #18
Jerry45

Funny! I can put a 0-4 x 22 with medium rings on my CZ, no pad no bolt contact and no bell contact with barrel. I guess if I couldn't figure out the right combo I'd blame the rifle and complain too.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:55 PM   #19
armoredman

First scope, Simmons 3-9 with CZ rings. Scope turned out to be junk.

Second scope, Bushnell 4-12, (it was a gift), with CZ Picatinny rail and Weaver low mount rings. Bolt handle cleared barely. Notice the rear sight is missing.

The bell of the Bushnell was too low to remount it, so a buddy built me a Marbles adjustable rear sight.

Decided to go naked, now just using irons.

Old January 28, 2013, 08:09 AM   #20
gpjoe

Thanks for the photos guys.

I will see if my set up works, if not I'll probably spring for a replacement bolt handle and keep the original bolt handle in it's original condition, in case I want to return the rifle to it's stock configuration.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:29 PM   #21
gpjoe

Well, the "expert" at SWFA couldn't have been more wrong.

The scope I ordered is most definitely NOT slender enough and the bolt handle smacks squarely into the rear bell using the Warne medium rings.

I'm done messing with it. I like the scope and the rings are solid, so I ordered a stainless steel re-contoured bolt handle.

I'm still very happy with the rifle - it's a beauty, and I can still shoot this weekend with the irons, so I'm happy.

Thank you again for all of the replies. You guys have some very nice set-ups.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:14 PM   #22
gpjoe

OK, and another question for you CZ owners:

I removed the scope without checking but IF the front sight hood can be seen at low power through the scope, can the hood be easily removed?

I know on my Henry lever gun the hood just slides off. The CZ hood seems to be locked in place (with a tiny bit of movement). Do you have to spread it apart to remove it?

Is this a stupid idea, since the front sight will no longer be protected?
Old January 30, 2013, 08:08 AM   #23
stubbicatt

The hood is stamped spring steel with two little tabs which fit in notches in the front sight base. If you gently pry it apart you can remove it.

I personally wouldn't worry about seeing the hood. If you do, it will be a vestigal image, more of a shadow. If you are looking at the target through a properly focused optic, you will clearly see the reticle and the target but not the front sight nor the hood.

HTH.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:56 PM   #24
Jerry45

When my scope is on 4x on my Marlin 45/70 I can see the front sight blade below the horizontal cross-hair. When I'm shooting I don't notice it. Your mileage may vary.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:12 AM   #25
gpjoe

That's what I thought. I'll try it and see. Thanks again guys.