The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2010, 07:18 AM   #1
richfr

Newby questions

Hi I am thinking about starting to reload and have some basic questions I would appreciate your opinions.
I currently have 9mm pistol but am certain I will have different calibers in the future pistol and rifle. I would also like to do some tactical shooting competitions and figure the sooner I start reloading the faster it will pay for itself.
I have done a fair bit of research and have spoken to a few guys at my local range and am still not sure what to go for.
One guy recommends Lee products (due to the price mainly) and has advised a Lee Turret press kit.
Somebody else has said not to bother with Lee low quality/accuracy and go for a Lyman T mag 2 Expert kit. There is a supplier doing a fantastic deal on it at the moment but it is still more than twice the price of the Lee Turret kit. http://www.shooting-supplies.eu/main...g-II.p136.html
Now I am fairly new to shooting but am hooked and think it will be a lifelong sport for me so if the Lyman kit will serve me better for the next 20 years or more is worth the extra out lay now?
I already have a dial caliper and realize I need a die kit (Lyman carbide set) tumbler & media and a bullet puller but is there anything else that I will need? Is it necessary to clean/ream t/uniform the flash hole for 9mm pistol?
Really appreciate your help/advice I don’t want to waste money on the wrong kit.

Thanks Rich
Old April 6, 2010, 07:40 AM   #2
kraigwy

If you are just starting, and RIGHT NOW, get the Lee Kit set up for 9mm. It will have just about everything you need to get started.

I said RIGHT NOW, cause its gonna change, You will load for other calibers. You are gonna buy more presses, scales, etc etc.

For 9mm ( or other commone calibers, 38, 45 etc,) you dont need bullet pullers and such. If you screw up a bullet, just throw it away. When you are setting up, load 5 - 10 rounds at a time, see if they work, does you gun function, do they group will?? etc, you dont want to crank out 5-600 rounds and find they dont work.

As far a saving money, not sure thats the case, but you'll shoot a lot more for the same dollar.

You're gonna end up spending a lot more money, you'll end up casting, plus several differant molds for each caliber, you end up with 3 or 4 presses, all kinds of gizmos. Wierd stuff you'll get over the years, I've been reloading for 40+ years, you'd be supprised at the crap I've gathered over the years.

Heck, in the late seventies I bought a small 6X18 metal lathe just for cutting belts of 460 weatherby brass so I could form 416 Rigby brass (before Rigby allowed others to make the brass).

But, start out, just get the Lee Kits, with lee dies, Make sure your 9mm dies are carbide and have a taper crimp. Read every Reloading manual you can find. Get them at the library until you deside which ones you want to buy.

And dont forget the internet, didnt have the internet when I got started, lots of info.

Main then, ..................JUST DO IT
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 6, 2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Jim243

You won't go wrong with a Lee "Clasic Turret Press" it is great for pistol and can do rifle as well. Also Lee dies are less than half the cost of others and work just as well if not better in my opinion and purchased over 12 sets of their dies and never have had a accuracy or quality problem with them.

Let others waste their money, save your and buy Lee.

Seems best prices are at Midway USA or Midsouth Shooter Supplies.

Jim
Old April 6, 2010, 08:24 AM   #4
rwilson452

I will second the Lee Classic Turret press. and the Lee 4 die set. it includes the Factory Crimp Die. the FCD isn't totally necessary but it will make life a whole lot easier for you. I would contact the People at:

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/

They will ensure you get everything you need and not stuff you don't need.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:58 AM   #5
dsv424

I second what rwilson recommends. Great press for a beginner and veteran reloader. Inexpensive to expand when you decide to do more calibers. I bought mine at Kempf's as well. Great deal to get you started.
Old April 6, 2010, 01:36 PM   #6
richfr

Thanks for the reply's guys
Lee is up to the job then. I have noticed the kits for the Lee turret press dont say its the Classic turret press is this a different press? if so is the classic a lot better?
Unfortunately I am in France so will cant use the store you suggested and have to pay a lot more than you do in the US.
I have just ordered The ABC's of Reloading so will do some more reading before I buy.
Old April 6, 2010, 02:00 PM   #7
rwilson452

The Classic Cast is a different press. It is similar to the standard turret press but is taller and is constructed of steel vs aluminum. Very much worth the difference in cost.

Quote:

Thanks for the reply's guys
Lee is up to the job then. I have noticed the kits for the Lee turret press dont say its the Classic turret press is this a different press? if so is the classic a lot better?
Unfortunately I am in France so will cant use the store you suggested and have to pay a lot more than you do in the US.
I have just ordered The ABC's of Reloading so will do some more reading before I buy.
Old April 6, 2010, 02:39 PM   #8
howlnmad

Lee has an earlier version of the turret press which has a base made out of aluminum, I think, or some other soft pot metal. The new ones have a cast iron base and are much heavier and more sturdy. If I were you, I'd go with the new turret press kit and just plan on adding to your equipment as your skills and needs progress. It's inexpensive but does a great job, it can also be easily changed over to a single stage press. Like others have said, you'll end up with numerous presses and prep tools as you go. Good luck and load safe.