The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 10, 2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

Punching Pork

Thought some of you guys would share your porker experience and tricks, as well as some favorite recipes to some of the other guys who haven't tried this off season FUN type of hunting.
My favorite is to soak a ham in salt water for about 10 to 12 hours, then slit the meat with small incesions down to the bone and fill them with onions and bell peppers, garlic cloves, and black pepper.
Put in hickory smoker for about 2 hours at 200 degrees.
Take out and place in aluminum pan with onion soup and mushroom soup poured into the pan adding about 1 cup of water to the mix.
Cover and replace back in smoker for about another 4 hours at 250 degrees.
Makes the meat fall from the bone.
Old January 10, 2006, 01:32 PM   #2
fisherman66

That sounds good. I'll tell you how not to cook feral pork....grilling (at least not without some parboiling or pressure cooking.) We tried a small portion of ham on the grill and we were not impressed.

We are going to do a baked/injected pork shoulder soon. Sloooooow cooked.
Old January 10, 2006, 08:49 PM   #3
john in jax

I just love pulled pork bbq and the best I have ever had was made from wild pig. Just toss the pork into a crock pot with a little of your favorite bbq sauce and/or onions, etc.... Cook on low for hours while you go about doing whatever it is you like to do. Shred the pork, adding a more bbq sauce, maybe some white vinegar, and whatever else you think it needs and serve on garlic bread.
Old January 12, 2006, 04:25 PM   #4
High Planes Drifter

I just love pulled pork bbq and the best I have ever had was made from wild pig. Just toss the pork into a crock pot with a little of your favorite bbq sauce and/or onions, etc.... Cook on low for hours while you go about doing whatever it is you like to do. Shred the pork, adding a more bbq sauce, maybe some white vinegar, and whatever else you think it needs and serve on garlic bread.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely! And I'll tell you what will make it even more tender; marinate it the night before in soft drink. The acidity of the soft drink will soften up the meat. The taste of the soft drink (like Coke or Pepsi) will cook off, but the meat will be soft. I do this to deer meat also. A chef taught me that trick.
Old January 12, 2006, 07:26 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Fer cryin' out loud - can't you just shoot them humanely and cook them - do you have to punch them too? I've got two wild game cookbooks - one is Ted & Shemane Nugent's Kill it & Grill it - can't wait to try some pig recipes.
Old January 14, 2006, 04:43 PM   #6
armedtotheteeth

I usually just quickly cook them with about 75 grains of IMR 4350, Repeat as Necessary it may take a few tries , but you will eventually get it all cooked. You will know it is done when there is a giant hole in the ground where the hog once was
Old January 14, 2006, 07:03 PM   #7
Harley Quinn

I don't care for the taste of wild boar

Since that is what I like to shoot, not the sow or the piglet I do not eat it, give um back to nature and let their pals feast and grow.

HQ