The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 7, 2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Iowa Cornfed

Deer Hunter Killed - Tragic

Here's a link to a story of a 31 year old Iowa man who was shot while drive hunting, by a member of his party..., his dad. What a tragic story.

This is why I stopped party-hunuting about 25 years ago. I witnessed a doe run between my nephew and another guy in the party, they both started firing away at the doe in the crossfire..., I saw dirt flying about 2 feet from my nephews feet as the slugs from the other hunters shots rained down on him. (And there no doubt was soil flying around the other guy too!)

But that shook me to the core. I've went solo ever since. Don't get the massive amounts of shots off at running deer, (And that's okay by me ) but I generally get my buck every year anyway.

I know they can be a lot of fun, the whole planning the hunt and the buddy-bonding thing. And I know there are many, many very safety conscious party hunting groups that place a premium on safe hunting. So I'm not knocking the concept.

But for me, I'm glad I made the switch, and now my boy has been raised with a stand-hunters mentality so that maybe I'll not have to worry about him ever being in a group of hunters where one guy may not be as safe as you'd hope for.

That peace-of-mind isn't total however, there's always the ol' falling out of a tree thing to worry about, and other assorted things a dad worries about, but I'm still happy when the talk turns to deer season, and my boy talks about wind direction, stand placement, and movement patterns, etc.

Anyway, here's the link to a really, really sad story. If it's not enabled you might have to copy and paste it to your browser bar. (I don't know how to make it so you can just click on it and have it work)

http://www.presscitizen.com/apps/pbc...0321/1079/NEWS
Old December 7, 2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I've been on one driven hunt. It was conducted safely and, as beaters, the kids got introduced to fieldcraft and hunting.

However, being schooled in tactical type places, as soon as the line of beaters approached my position, I unloaded and started for the road. Nobody ever told me that deer are likely to let the beaters pass and then make a break for it. Two did....both right down my path, one missing me by a couple of feet as he soared past from my six.

Educational. Safe. But I can see how one of those hunts can turn into a 360 degree shooting spree right quick.
Rich
Old December 7, 2005, 12:25 PM   #3
High Planes Drifter

An aquaintance of mine died that way. 22yrs. old , was shot right in the chest w/.00 buck. I'v never really liked deer drives anyway, I dont even care much for running dogs. I dont care what anyone says, I can taste the difference in the meat after a deer has been running a long time. I prefer still hunt.
Old December 7, 2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Foxman

That is extremely sad for all concerned. I was always taught , never shoot at anything you cant see clearly and identify. No shooting down the line of shooters ( immediate send home of anybody who swung through) and all the other commonsense things that are talked about. shooting parties have to be organised and one person only has to be in charge and tell everyone the does and don'ts of the day, otherwise accidents can and will happen.
I really feel for the father too, he will never really get over this, neither would any of us.
Old December 9, 2005, 02:49 PM   #5
marmark

+1 Foxman

I don't teach it either.
Old December 9, 2005, 05:14 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The bunch I used to hunt with on a lease worked together much like an infantry squad: We'd sweep a valley, all in a line and spread out but within sight of one another. The main deal was to stay on line, staying even with one another. I don't guess it was a "rule", but nobody ever swung more than 45 degrees, if Bambi took off running...

The fun of it was jumping some little old nubbin buck and start hollering, "Shoot him! Shoot him!" Then, if somebody did shoot the poor thing, ask, "Why'd you shoot that little old nuthin' buck?"

I've quit a hunt, or quit hunting with a guy, when somebody habitually got off line. No bueno p' nada!

Art
Old December 10, 2005, 02:22 PM   #7
ssgmac27

I still hunt in southeast Iowa with a shotgun or muzzleloader. I was sitting under a tree a couple of weeks ago hunting, an heard some shooting in a nearby timber. I hunt the same place every year. I got to thinking to myself that I have never heard just one shot. It's always at least five or six. If a deer is running so that it will take me several shots to hit it, I won't even bother. I can't believe more people aren't hurt.
Old December 10, 2005, 05:15 PM   #8
gtodan

I have heard thru the grapevine that alcohol was involved. For all the reasons stated above I do not shotgun hunt anymore.

DanJ
Old December 10, 2005, 10:22 PM   #9
22-rimfire

I can't think of anything worse happening during a hunt that involves family. Safety First! Quarry Second! I once shot a rabbit in front of my brother when I was a kid. The competition was so fierce between us brothers that I was willing to shoot at that rabbit when it was obviously "his". To this day I feel bad about that.
Old December 11, 2005, 01:17 AM   #10
MeekAndMild

That's the trouble with deer drives.

I do know it is the closest I have been to being hit. You always hear stories about shot raining down; well buckshot did sound like rain coming down through the leaves.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 11, 2005, 11:08 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Whether in discussions in Strategy & Tactics, or in classes at a shooting school, there will be some discussion of the problems engendered by an adrenalin rush. Tunnel vision, absence of sounds, etc.

The same sort of thing happens in deer hunting. Most of the time it's just "buck fever" and a cause for jokes.

Sometimes it ain't a joke.

Deer hunting of whatever style is fun. Having fun, however, doesn't mean you can forget about self control and drift off into a la-la land of non-think...

Art
Old December 11, 2005, 11:44 AM   #12
BIGR

Went on some drive hunts before but we always stayed within site of each other and never shot at anything unless it was in fron of us. I prefer stand hunting myself.
Old January 18, 2006, 06:33 PM   #13
sparkysteve

Drive hunts can be done correctly and safely.

1. Make a detailed plan with all involved
2. Stick to that plan no matter what
3. Wear blaze orange
4. Carry 2-way radios or walkie talkies
5. Know your surroundings and where you can and can't shoot safely

Dont tread on me.
Old January 18, 2006, 07:26 PM   #14
orionengnr

quote from article..

"and that her husband was wearing protective orange hunting clothing."

Wow, Protective Orange Hunting Clothig?

You mean, like an orange bullet-proof vest?

Sorry, just another example of the media at "work"....
Old January 19, 2006, 03:10 PM   #15
shiningpathb4me

I used to belong to the one of the oldest . . .

established hunting clubs in our state (founded in 1948). The club fell apart when our oldest member and central land holder died. We were primarily a dog-hunt club on weekends, with still hunting during the week. Man I loved those days, I've got some fond memories and pretty funny stories from them. I'm originally from Illinois, and this was my first exposure to deer hunting "southern-style". There is no way in hell I'd take my boy out there with that bunch on a weekend. He's the only boy I have or will ever have. I'm passing the tradition on to him, but in solo situations where everyone knows where everyone else is, by signing out for a stand on a board w/ chits.

A co-worker of mine used to be a deer hunter. His nephew was killed during an accident on a hunt, and he quit hunting completely. He can't even look at a shotgun without thinking of that awful day.