The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1
FullCry

Universal powder?

I used some Universal years ago loading shot shells and don't remember who made it. I have seen around that Hodgdon makes a Universal clays....Is this the powder everyone refers to as Universal for pistol loads? Thanks, FullCry
Old April 4, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Doby45

Yes, Universal Clays is the "Universal" you hear about in handgun loading.

I am working through a 4lb jug for my 9mm, 357SIG, 40cal and 45ACP.
Old April 5, 2010, 08:24 AM   #3
FullCry

Thanks a lot for setting me straight on that. FullCry
Old April 6, 2010, 05:25 AM   #4
sourdough44

I just call it Universal to avoid confusion. I have used it in a fair amount of handgun loadings.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:38 AM   #5
howlnmad

Just remember that there are three different Clays powders and not to be interchanged.
Old April 6, 2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Aldadentist

The marketing people at Hodgdon really need to change this whole Clays thing with the regular Clays , Universal Clays, and International Clays. Someone is going to blow up a gun or get injured by accident with this recipe for confusion.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:11 PM   #7
jeffreybehr

"The marketing people at Hodgdon really need to change this whole Clays thing with the regular Clays , Universal Clays, and International Clays. Someone is going to blow up a gun or get injured by accident with this recipe for confusion."

That's why lots of us call it Universal.

Here's what Hodgdon says about Clays: Introduced in January, 1992, CLAYS gunpowder has "taken the clay target world by storm". It is the cleanest burning , most consistent 12 ga. 7/8., 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. powder available today, the preferred choice of competitive target shooters.. The superb burning characteristics of this powder produce soft, smooth recoil and excellent patterns. These features transfer directly to handgun applications where target shooting is the main goal. 45 ACP and 38 Special are only two of the cartridges where CLAYS gunpowder provides "tack driving" target accuracy with flawless functioning.

So apparently all the Clays powders use the same type of formulation, processing, etc., to achieve these goals, and Hodgdon wants the world to know it.