The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1
l98ster

Looking for a 158gr JHP 38 special load!

Hi everyone,

I am going on a camping trip with a friend and will be doing a lot of shooting. I have 158gr JHP and 38 special brass. I will be using these ONLY in a marlin 1894C and a Ruger Blackhawk .357

Im not so interested in great accuracy as we will only be shooting cans, but I have these extra 158gr JHP that im not using otherwise, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to get rid of them.

Rather than re adjusting the dies and finding 357 brass, I want to make pretty stout 38+p loads.

I have WW231, Titegroup and Bullseye.

Can anyone tell me a good recipe (or for that matter, any recipe that will be fun and safe) for the components that I already have.

Thanks...
-George
Old April 4, 2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Sport45

Hodgdon shows a Titegroup load that maxes out a little over 900fps with a 158gr XTP. As usual, start with the min load and work your way up. Even for cans I think accuracy would be more important than velocity.
Old April 4, 2010, 08:59 PM   #3
l98ster

Sport45,

Thanks for the reply. The reason I said that accuracy didnt matter is because I do not plan to test these loads. Whatever comes out of the barrel and a decent velocity is all we are going to get.

I am in the middle of testing a bunch of 38 special loads for my model 52, so I didnt want to spend any time on these "campsite plinker" loads.

Thank you very much for your suggestion!! I might just do that!!
-George
Old April 4, 2010, 09:43 PM   #4
medalguy

If you don't care about accuracy and aren't going to test your loads, why do you want a +P load??? Just let me know where you're going and I'll be sure to stay far away from you. Loading as you state you are going to do is foolish and downright dangerous.

Always start with the lowest load in your manual and work up, CAREFULLY checking for signs of high pressure. No matter what load recipe anyone gives you, don't trust it. It's very easy to type the wrong number and you can have a very bad day. Always cross reference any suggested loads with your manual and work up your own loads.
Old April 4, 2010, 10:03 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Of the 3 powders you listed, Bullseye will give the highest velocity at the lower pressures. But 2400 is the powder you should be using for this project.
Old April 4, 2010, 11:24 PM   #6
l98ster

MedalGuy,

looking for a +p 38 special load to use strickly in firearms that are rated for 357 magnum would not be considered foolish. In fact, it is fairly safe. I have had light 38 loads get stuck in the barrel of my marlin lever gun, thats why I asked for a +p recipe. Again, these loads will only be used in the marlin and a blackhawk. However, I do thank you for your concern!

Always error on the side of caution!!!
-George
Old April 4, 2010, 11:57 PM   #7
zxcvbob

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Try 5 grains of Bullseye. That'll get you about a 21000 psi load, which should be safe (but memorable) if it accidently ends up in a .38 Special. You might want to paint the case heads with a red Magic Marker.
Old April 5, 2010, 01:43 PM   #8
AlaskaMike

I would've thought that 231 would do better in this application, given that it's slower than either Bullseye or Titegroup.

zxcvbob, I assume you're running this through Quickload and it's saying that Bullseye would give the lower pressure and better velocity?

Mike
Old April 5, 2010, 02:48 PM   #9
zxcvbob

Quote:
zxcvbob, I assume you're running this through Quickload and it's saying that Bullseye would give the lower pressure and better velocity?
Yes. I haven't tried 231 yet, but I have used Titegroup and Bullseye for applications like this and the BE is definitely better-behaved (and it fills the cases better.)
Old April 5, 2010, 08:56 PM   #10
Sport45

Quote:
I would've thought that 231 would do better in this application, given that it's slower than either Bullseye or Titegroup.
I thought so too. But the Hodgdon site shows HP38 (same as W231) to produce less velocity than Titegroup for the 158gr +p load.