The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 21, 2014, 06:20 AM   #26
Micahweeks

Quote:
I shoot a moderate charge of 2400 over a 300 LBT style bullet.
I'm so happy I finally know what this means. As for hearing protection, I've always worn it. I'm just wanting to be sure when I head up to Georgia that I can make a clean kill on one those big boars if I see one. Our hogs in Mississippi top out at 200 pounds, but those in Georgia get massive!
Old August 21, 2014, 11:25 PM   #27
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
If you get the 460; you have light-45 Colt, medium-454, and heavy load-460 capacity
Ha! Never thought of the .454 Casull, a 60K psi round as "medium", but ok, I guess so. I'd say "regular", "mondo", and "super-mondo", instead of light, medium, heavy for those. Full house .454 casull loads are a bear - the gun ends up well past 45 degrees up after a 2-handed shot (Taurus RB).

But actually, if I was gonna buy a revolver FOR big game hunting (which I've thought about doing so that I don't have to use a pull-up rope to get my rifle into the tree stand), it would definitely be a Magnum Research BFR in .45-70 (10").
Old August 22, 2014, 02:59 PM   #28
WESHOOT2

even easier

A properly loaded 44 Magnum or 45 Colt Redhawk is utterly sufficient for the game mentioned.
But only if properly loaded, natch.
Old August 22, 2014, 04:13 PM   #29
jmay

Save some $ get a Ruger BLACKHAWK 45 Colt or SBH 44 mag and take that money you saved and get a nice holster with some dies and a simple single stage press and you will thank me later
Old August 22, 2014, 07:38 PM   #30
toomb

My buddy has a 460. It is probably the most accurate revolver I have ever shot.
Old August 24, 2014, 11:22 PM   #31
BIG P

Micahweeks,Good luck here in GA.We do have some pretty big hogs in good numbers also in the southern parts of the state.The 454 will do a great job on all the piney wood rooters you can put a good hit on.good luck & take home all you can get.
Old August 25, 2014, 01:35 AM   #32
Cosmodragoon

I'm not much of a hunter but I do like shooting water jugs, fruit, phone books, old appliances, etc... Naturally, big-bore revolvers are the most fun and I've had the pleasure of enjoying several.

To quote a young cousin who came out with me for his first taste of anything bigger than a 9mm, ".454 has legit bat". If I'm understanding the phrase correctly, I have to agree. No matter how many times I shoot it, it reminds me of just how serious it is. Feeling the power and seeing what it does to a variety of media, usually with whatever the LGS has in stock at a "reasonable" price, I sincerely doubt that there is anything in the lower 48 where you'd need more gun.

That said, I'm not sure you'd even need that for most things. I know a lot of guys who do their handgun hunting with the old .44 magnum. It may have been surpassed, and greatly surpassed at that, but I'm not sure the wildlife has gotten much bigger.

Still, the .460 is amazing. It is truly awe-inspiring to shoot. It's incredible, more accurate than I will ever be, and more pleasant to shoot than the .454. As other members have pointed out, that has a lot to do with the weight and recoil-managing features of the XVR. I think Smith and Wesson really knocked it out of the park on this one.

There used to be two watermelons and a gallon jug of water on this chair. The 460 S&W 200 gr FTX was fired from the standard XVR at maybe 30ft.
Old August 26, 2014, 09:56 PM   #33
Gdawgs

If you want a 460, get one. Don't let anyone talk you out of it because "It's too big/heavy", "there is no need for anything bigger than a 45 Colt unless you are hunting moose, elk, grizzlys", etc.

They are lots of fun to shoot. I bought one a couple years ago. Did I need one? Nope. But I wanted one, so I got it. I also have a Super Redhawk in 454, and as others have mentioned, the 460 is much more pleasant to shoot.

Here's what my rig comes in at fully loaded. Is it heavy? Yep. Is it big? Yep. Loud? Yep. Fun? Oh Yeah!

Old August 26, 2014, 10:05 PM   #34
Deaf Smith

.44 Magnum.

I just don't need the power of the .454 or .460 for deer. .44 does the deed fine.

I guess if I was after moose I'd might use a .454, but then I'd just use a short rifle instead.

Deaf