The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2008, 01:37 AM   #1
glockopop

Who's got a "powder check" light on their press?

I know there's somebody on this forum who has a light on their press to check for squibs and double charges, but I can't remember who. I just knocked out my first 50 rounds on my Dillon SDB, and I can see inside the case OK, but I'd like to have a little more light. Whoever you are, can you post a pic?
Old February 6, 2008, 08:23 AM   #2
KeithB78

i just use a old desk lamp aimed just right, all the light i need

Old February 6, 2008, 09:34 AM   #3
DennisD

I don't have a picture but I remember that he had a LED mini flashlight with a flexible wire leading to the battery pack (you can find them at almost any hardware store) fastened to one of the uprights on the press aimed into the shell case.

NRA Life
Old February 6, 2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Alleykat

I have a desk lamp like the one in the other guy's picture, but my lamp has a clamp on the end of the gooseneck. I attach it to the casefeeder of my 650.
Old February 6, 2008, 07:42 PM   #5
CrustyFN

I have a light on my Lee classic turret. I'm sure it could be hooked up to a Dillon somehow. Here it is.
Rusty

Old February 6, 2008, 08:00 PM   #6
caz223

This pic was taken in a basement with all the lights off except the press lights.

Toolhead out. (550b.)

Search on ebay for "265kmcd 12v led" I got mine from topbright88.
Those are what I used, they're already prewired for 12v, so you'll need a 12v power source, like a wall wart of some kind.
Everybody has one laying around.
Old February 6, 2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Rustynuts

Similar thing here. 16" flex LED light off eBay for like $12. Runs off of AA, so cheap as well. I hate button batteries! Mine's just snaked around the dies to hold it in place.

Old February 7, 2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Alleykat

Now I'm going to have Loadmaster nightmares tonight! Curses!

Last edited by Alleykat; February 8, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old February 7, 2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Greg Di

Caz223...

when you wired those LEDs up, do you wire them in series to the 12V source? How many LEDs can one transformer handle and how many milliamps does it have to be?
Old February 7, 2008, 03:56 PM   #10
ZeSpectre

I'll be starting into reloading after I get my birthday present from the wife in May and man you guys are giving me great ideas!
Old February 7, 2008, 04:17 PM   #11
UniversalFrost

I don't use a light on my Dillon, instead I use a powder check die. For my rifle reloads I only run then on a redding t-7 or a single stage rcbs (rs or rc)and I pour the powder myself and transition the brass from one reloading block to another as they are filled by a bench mounted measure, so no worries on double loads or squibs. Plus plenty of light from an overhead florescent light so no need for an extra light.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 8, 2008, 10:45 AM   #12
jmorris

The op has an SD, can’t use a powder check die. http://www.superbrightleds.com/BA9S6_specs.htm offers LEDs in 6,12,28,48 volts ac or dc and even 120vac. Your safest bet is to go with dc, solder on your connections and you’re good to go. If you want to hook up multiple leds remember to wire them in parallel.
Old February 8, 2008, 11:49 AM   #13
caz223

As far as wiring configuration, they are pre-wired with the appropriate current limiting resistor, you just wire as many as you need in parallel.
You really can't mess it up.
I used a big transformer, but that's only because that's what I had laying around...
Shoot, as bright as they are, I could have used a 9v transformer just fine...
I have 6 of those running just fine on a single wall wart, but I suspect I could basically run as many of them as I wanted....
Just wire one up, raise your press ram, hot glue it to the frame somewhere it will get light to the spot you need, and bend it for a fine adjustment.
Any 9-12v garage sale wall wart will work just fine.
The ebay page listed these as 100ma. You'd only need one of those LEDs for the powder check, but I have 3 just for wreched excess. (On each press.)
I'd be really surprised if any 12v wall wart wouldn't power up 3 of those just fine.
I've been toying around with the idea of building a booze cabinet that illuminates the bottles from underneath using a few of these I got leftover...
Old February 8, 2008, 03:54 PM   #14
Conservadude

I have a 500W halogen work light clamped on a high shelf above the bench. With it turned on, I can set a tray of 50 rounds under it and they are all lit up inside the same ...makes it easy to spot any that appear high/low compared to others and you can check all 50 at a glance. Works for me.

Brian