The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1
FM12

Square Deal Malfunction?NO,it's OPERATOR ERROR!!

Long/short..after changing calibers for the first time on my Dillon Square Deal B, about 10% of the rounds were ruined (RUINED!!) because the bullets were canted at station 3, where the bullet is seated but not crimped, causing the bullet to SQUASH the case...I finally realized I had left out the part that goes into the SDB body at station 3, looks like a funnel, causes the bullet to straighten as it goes into the case...oh, well, another day reloading, another 20 .357 mag cases and bullets ruined. RUINED, I say...FM12
Old March 8, 2007, 10:02 PM   #2
evan1293

I hate when that happens... How do you like the press overall? I have one myself setup up for .45 and I just bought a whole other one to do 9s with. Im using mine so much that I dont want to have to keep switching calibers. For the amount I shoot, it will quickly pay itself off.
Old March 8, 2007, 11:33 PM   #3
FM12

Hey Evan, I love the press, had it for about 18 years now, paid $162.50 for it in 9MM! Only problem I ever had is with the priming system...began turning primers upside down & sideways. I called Dillon, & they sent me a whole new priming system!. Still have trouble getting the primers seated to below flush. I HATE changing powder charges and trying to get back to a previous setting. BUT, all in all, I love Dillon products...cant do better...the "one machine for one caliber" has a lot of merit. But, if you bought the entire tool head outfit and can leave the dies set up, its pretty simple to swap things out...if you use only ONE tool head and swap the dies in and out, it's REAL trouble getting the dies set up again...might have one for small primers and one for large primers, that idea has merit to it. Just my opinion, though, and my wife frequently points out I can be wrong... FM12