The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 23, 2014, 08:50 AM   #1
old fart

mustang grip pins

i bought two sets of rubber mustang grips from numrich, they fit my service six great except for two things. first they didn't come with a screw, i finally found one that would work at wal mart. but the grips are supposed to have these little pins around it to hold it together. the screw doesn't hold it together good at top and bottom, does anyone know where i can find these pins that lock the grips together? thanks
Old August 24, 2014, 12:10 PM   #2
lee n. field

Quote:
i bought two sets of rubber mustang grips from numrich, they fit my service six great except for two things. first they didn't come with a screw, i finally found one that would work at wal mart.
You got lucky.

Time's I've bought a revolver stock set that lacked the grip screw, I've ended up going to the manufacturer. Grip screws vary widely.

I assume "Mustang" was an old brand name? Doing a web search on "mustang grips", gets mightly confused by the presence of hits related to Ford Mustangs, and grip panels for the Colt Mustang.

Quote:
but the grips are supposed to have these little pins around it to hold it together. the screw doesn't hold it together good at top and bottom, does anyone know where i can find these pins that lock the grips together? thanks
The only time I've seen pins holding grips parts together, the pin's been a part of the gun itself. I'm assuming the service six will be the same as the security six for this. Is it part #25 on the diagram here?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 24, 2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Salmoneye

Other than the Colt model mentioned. the only grips I am aware of that were 'Mustang' branded, were some god awful cludgy wooden grips for revolvers...

I have a set of 'Mustang Grips' that I was given a few years back...They are for a Super Blackhawk, only they make it look (and feel) cartoonish...

I have a feeling that you will have to cut or otherwise fashion the pins you are looking for...

Here are my 'Mustang' brand grips:

Old August 24, 2014, 06:08 PM   #4
lee n. field

Looks like a good candidate for some customization with a wood rasp.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 27, 2014, 08:44 AM   #5
old fart

here is what they look like, these are on gunbroker. mine however also have a screw at the round area down toward the bottom. mine also need the pins, the guy wants $30 so that kinda defeats the purpose of me getting mine from numrich for $7. guess i'm gonna save and get another set of some kind. i like these cause they are thin, i plan on conceal carrying my service six so i was wanting thin grips. thanks

Old August 27, 2014, 03:36 PM   #6
lee n. field

Not seeing a screw at all to hold it together. It's held together by those pins, friction fit?

I think this is quite possibly going to be a dead end.

Could I suggest a set of Pachmayr Gripper grips, as something very similar to those you picked up, at a reasonable cost.