The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 18, 2005, 08:38 PM   #26
Dfariswheel

You FOOL, you bought the WRONG gun.
I'm really a 12 year-old kid in New York City, and I've never actually handled a "real" gun.

Actually you've just bought a NIB Classic Colt revolver.
The Trooper Mark III was made from 1969 to 1984.

Give us the the serial number in the format: 1234XX and we can give you a production year.

Here's a post I did on the history of Colt's "J" frame revolvers from another forum:

A brief history of the Trooper Mark III line.

In 1969 Colt finally admitted that they could no longer compete with their old model revolvers.
The old guns like the Trooper, Official Police, Python and Officer's Model Match, simply required too much hand fitting.
Even the "budget" Official Police required a significant amount of highly skilled hand fitting simply to work.

The big cost in gun making is labor charges.
ANY hand work costs money, and the kind of people capable of fitting an old style Colt revolver don't work cheap.
The amount of fitting required ran the cost up above what the market was willing to pay, so something had to change.

So, in 1969 Colt discontinued all the mid-frame revolvers except the Python, and introduced a totally new design.

The new series was based on a new "J" frame, and named the Mark III line.
The "J" frame was, as usual for Colt, an industry "first" in many ways.

The new gun was the world's first revolver designed to be "machine fitted" and would require very little expensive hand fitting.

The new series was the first revolver to make use of "sintered steel".
This is a process similar to the current "MIM" molded steel process.
In this process, powdered steel mixed with a binder is injected into a mold, and heated until the steel melts and fills the mold.
When the part is removed, you have a nearly finished part.
The sintered parts are given a thin case hardened coating.

The "J" guns were the first revolver in which worn parts could not be re-fitted. Worn parts would simply be replaced with new parts.
The case hardened coating is very thin, and any attempt at stoning or even heavy polishing will break through the coating, ruining the part.

The "J" series were the first modern revolver to use the transfer bar safety/ignition system. This was so effective, every revolver designed since uses Colt's design virtually unchanged.

The first in the series was the Trooper Mark III, followed by a range of revolvers using the same action.
The other guns in this series were:

The Lawman, a fixed sight .357 with a non-shrouded 4" barrel. It was also available in a 2" round butt version, in which the later versions had a shrouded Detective Special-type barrel.

The Metropolitan Police, basically a Lawman but in .38 Special only, and 4" only.

The Official Police Mark III, basically the Metro Police, only with the "skinny" Official Police-type barrel, in 4" 5" and 6".

The Officer's Model Match Mark III, basically a Trooper Mark III in .38 Special, and sold as a target model. Only 500 were made.

Customer complaints about the DA trigger of the "J" guns led Colt to redesign the gun, and the new gun was the "V" frame.
This series was limited to the Trooper Mark V, the Lawman V, and a "budget" flat black version known as The Peacekeeper.

To improve the trigger action, Colt altered the gun to Colt's first "short action", redesigned the mainspring assembly, and altered the frame's butt to a round butt design.
Other, cosmetic changes, included a vented barrel.

Later, Colt again changed the revolver to a new "AA" frame. This gun was known as The King Cobra. This was nothing more than the "V" frame made in stainless steel, and fitted with a heavy shrouded barrel. Later the KC was also available in blue.

The "J" frame is a deceptively simple design, with large, sturdy parts.
Master gunsmith Jerry Kuhnhausen believed the Colt "J", "V", and "AA" frame guns are the strongest mid-frame revolvers ever built, due to Colt's forged frames and cylinders, and Colt's superior heat treating.

About the only "weakness" in this series, is the possibility of a firing pin with too hard a heat treat. If dry fired, there's a possibility a hard firing pin could break, in which case the gun MUST be sent back to Colt for a replacement.
This breakage is not that common, but possible.
Factory-only replacement is due to the fact that replacement requires special factory jigs and support fixtures to remove and re-install the pin, without damaging the frame.

So, to prevent any possible problem, the gun should be dry fired with snap caps in place.

The Trooper Mark III, was available in bright blue, bright nickel, and satin Electroless nickel, also known for a time as "Coltguard".

Calibers were .357/.38, 22LR, and 22 Magnum.

Barrel lengths were 4" 6", and later 8".

Early grips were square butt checkered walnut.
Later grips had an odd rounded design with a round shape to the front and bottom of the grip.

Later in production, "hardwood" grips appeared, which were supposed to be used only on the Lawman/Metro guns, but which were also put on the Trooper. These grips have an odd light "orange" color with no figure.

The older Colt guns, like the Python, use an action renowned for accuracy. This is due to the design that forces the cylinder into a tightly locked, perfect alignment with the bore, at the instant of firing. This design depends on a action in perfect adjustment to work.

The "J" series uses a system similar to all other revolver designs, in which the cylinder is allowed a slight amount of freedom to rotate at firing. This allows the cylinder to align itself with the bore.
While not as accurate as the Python, the Trooper III is almost always a very accurate revolver, due in part to the quality and rifling twist of Colt's barrels.

The best source of mechanical info on the Trooper Mark series, including how to disassemble for spring replacement, is Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, "The Colt Double Action Revolvers, A Shop Manual: Vol Two".
This should be a part of every Colt Mark series owner's gear.

By the standards of 1969 the Trooper Mark III was a "budget" gun, but by today's standard it would be considered a top of the line deluxe model.
Old January 18, 2005, 10:12 PM   #27
boa2

DOB of my newly acquired Colt Trooper Mark III?

What is the date of Birth, for my newly acquired Colt Trooper Mark III? The serial number is #219xxU? Thanks!

I will post a picture of my Colt Trooper MK III, after my 10 day waiting period is up(In a new thread)?

Last edited by boa2; January 18, 2005 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Mistake!
Old January 18, 2005, 10:42 PM   #28
BillCA

Boa,

Congrats on the purchase! Troopers are a beautiful gun and, to me, more eye-appealing than the Python.
Old January 18, 2005, 11:28 PM   #29
boa2

BILLCA:

Thanks, and your congratulating my purchase of the Trooper Mark III, makes me feel better already! It was only a hard decision for me(To pick the Trooper MK III)because I was trying to get the most collectible Colt! However, most of these older guns, are not always in 100% condition(And you still have to pay a high price for them)! Since I also live in Kalifornia(Unfortunately!)I felt very "Lucky" to have found a NIB Trooper MK III! I decided to go for "Condition"(Rather than ultimate collectibility(And save the extra $$$)! I've never owned a Trooper before! But, I thought that my new Trooper Mark III, would look good, next to my 1960 vintage(4-inch)"engraved" Colt ".357"!!

What part of Kalifornia, do you live in?
Old January 18, 2005, 11:54 PM   #30
larryf1952

Congratulations on your excellent gun buy! Even if your gun was made in 1984, I think that finding a NIB revolver that's over 20 years old is pretty remarkable.

I own both a 1978 vintage Python and a Trooper MKIII. I bought the MKIII brand new in 1980...I actually swapped a Mauser Parabellum for it straight across. The Mauser may be worth more today in excellent shape, but I wanted something that I wouldn't be afraid to shoot. And, what's all this talk about the MKIII being Colt's ugly duckling? It may not be as elegant as a Python, but I think the MKIII is far from being ugly. As Dfariswheel said, the blue is exquisite, and I think the gun is quite a looker. Mine is a 6" .357, and I fitted it with a pair of Herrett's Shooting Star wooden stocks. The fact that I've kept the gun for almost 25 years, and not sold it, must mean something.

Dfariswheel, the number on my MKIII is 6051XX...is this a 1980 #? Thanks!
Old January 18, 2005, 11:58 PM   #31
Dfariswheel

There should be a letter in in there, either at the beginning, or the end, larryf1952.
Old January 19, 2005, 12:06 AM   #32
boa2

My Colt Trooper MK III, Serial Number!

Dfariswheel:

What is the DOB of my Trooper Mark III? The serial number is: 219xxU? Thanks!
Old January 19, 2005, 12:07 AM   #33
larryf1952

That letter would be an "L", at the end of the string. Thanks again!
Old January 19, 2005, 01:34 AM   #34
boa2

Colt Trooper Mark III, Ugly?

Larryf1952:

Thanks for your nice comments! I was hoping that enough people might come forward, with enough "Praise" for the Colt Trooper Mark III's, to erase all of the "So called" bad problems with broken triggers(And, other parts!)? Just my guess, but it would seem that possibly these "Rare" problems, would most likely, have occured in the very early Mark III production? Maybe, this was due to not yet, "Perfecting" the powdered sintered metal, "Technique" in the initial stages of producing these revolvers?

No, I don't think that the Colt Trooper Mark III, is an "Ugly Duckling"! I said this to test the waters(So to speak!)to see if most Colt lovers would really find these Colt's to be, in fact "Ugly"? I'm glad to find out, that you do not think so! There was someone(On one of the Gun Forums)that stated that he felt that the Colt Trooper Mark III's were "The "Ugly Child" of Colt's! I thought that this was inappropriate, as was applied to these nice revolvers! I think that the reason, so many people might make such a statement, is because of the "Existence" of the "Python"! And, in turn, they have been "Blinded" by this!

Myself, I have always liked the beauty of short shrouded barrel's! And, I don't care to own a fully shrouded barrel, as these do not look as good to me on most revolvers(Except for the Colt Diamondback and the Python!)! I liked the early Pre-Trooper's and the Trooper(Without the barrel shroud)! But, I also like the shrouded barrel on the Trooper Mark III! It looks nice(As well as very business like!)! I'm very impressed, with finding one of these revolvers, in NIB condition! It hasn't happened very often(Only when I recently found a Colt "Viper", that I also bought!)!
Old January 19, 2005, 03:03 PM   #35
Dfariswheel

Boa2:
#219xxU was made in 1981.

The "U" series began that year with 0001U, and ended around 31289U

larryf1952
6051XL was made in 1980.

The "L" series that year ran from 55766L to 80698L.
Old November 6, 2008, 01:41 AM   #36
alouie7498

Another Trooper MK iii .22 wmr

Nice Gun! I picked one up from a Neighbor needing cash ($450), a few years back. Knowing they were a bit rare, I figured it was worthwhile. It's a 6" Nickle, S/N# Y24472, w/Pachmayr Gold Colt Medallion Grips. The 50% Blue Book Premium was (Good) news to me. What I've read on these were a less than friendly Action, weight and (High) cost limited their popularity with Police. For me, it's a great Varmint gun and a Fav of my 15 yr old Son. I'd be interested to know of estimated Values.
Old November 6, 2008, 05:47 AM   #37
Majic

I would like to know who considers the Trooper MkIII unpopular? To be honest though I would have gotten the 357 over the MkIII. Now they are really nice shooters and one day their prices will go thru the roof. They have tuned actions and not a lot of them were made.

Last edited by Majic; November 6, 2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:42 AM   #38
Smaug

Awesome trigger action, like all Colt double-actions

My great uncle has one. It is ugly compared to other Colts. But if you're used to modern DA triggers, the trigger on it is divine.

As a point of reference, I just polished the action of my new SP-101 and installed reduced-power springs. It still doesn't hold a candle to the smoothness of the stock Colt trigger. (both single & double action pulls)

In another thread of mine, someone mentioned this is because it has the longest hammer arc, and so the springs don't need to be as stout. I suspect the lockwork was designed for smoothness above all else, which is why they're known for smoothness and lack of durability.

Long story short, buy it if you don't intend to shoot a lot of magnums through it.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old November 24, 2009, 08:57 PM   #39
dandypoint

Trooper MK III

Can anyone decode the serial number for a Trooper MK III
It is 74947L.
Old November 24, 2009, 09:49 PM   #40
skeeter

I bought mine new in about 1969 or 1970 (J series) and have reloaded more rounds than I can count or remember and fired them in this revolver. It is still as accurate and tight as when new. The only change is that the trigger is smoother than most Pythons i have tried though it is slighter longer in pull. I also must have put 15 to 20 boxes of 110 gr Super vel ammo through it.'
It is a GREAT revolver!
Old November 24, 2009, 10:32 PM   #41
Dfariswheel

74947L was made in 1980.
Old November 25, 2009, 06:26 PM   #42
armsmaster270

I bought mine when they first came out J2880 with countersunk cylinder chambers. I bought it as you couldnt find a S&W Mod 19 even as a police officer. I loved mine and regret to this day selling it.
Old November 25, 2009, 08:34 PM   #43
WVfishguy

I have a 6" 1971 Trooper Mk III. My 'smith is doing a little work on it, or I'd show a photo of it here.

It's a large gun, comparable to my S&W N frames, but the Trooper's top strap and barrel are much heavier; if you don't want to shoot anyone, I'm sure you could beat them to death with it. I'm not kidding about that, either - this revolver is built heavier than any S&W or Ruger I've owned.

It's very accurate, possibly more so than my Smith & Wessons, fairly smooth, but the trigger is not as light as a good S&W. However, I dry fired a 4" Mk III Trooper which had a very light trigger pull.
Old November 27, 2009, 09:03 PM   #44
Dfariswheel

If you think that's heavy, pick up a Trooper Mark III in .22LR.

My friends call my 4" "the Chunk". The 6" is even heavier.

Old November 27, 2009, 09:16 PM   #45
James K
Member In Memoriam

Dfariswheel has given us a great post, as usual, and we thank him.

FWIW, I have heard of a broken trigger on a Trooper Mk III, but don't have any other information except that it broke through the trigger pin hole at the top front.

Jim
Old August 19, 2014, 02:01 PM   #46
cimmerian

COLt trooper mk 3

I was able to lay my hands on a mint condition 6 incher some time ago.I use it for an annual competition shoot at work every year and never fail to obtain top scores with it.
I also shoot it in sillhouette field pistol events twice annually and practise quite a lot inbetween.
This is without doubt a genuine no nonsense quality american handgun which will perform well all year round and come back for more if you don't abuse it. A great example of high grade engineering from a time gone by.
Old August 19, 2014, 02:31 PM   #47
aarondhgraham

Meet Raquel and Rowena,,,

Raquel is the 4" .357 Magnum,,,
Rowena is the 6" .22 LR.

I love owning these handguns,,,
Both have more inherent accuracy than I can use.

The only reason they aren't my favorite revolvers,,,
Is because I have small hands,,,
My K-frames fit better.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 20, 2014, 05:21 AM   #48
CajunBass

I've never owned a MK III Trooper (Congratulations BTW), but have owned a couple of MK III Official Police 38's. I've always found them to be good guns, and it's hard to beat them for looks.

I picked that one up recently for about what a K-Frame Smith & Wesson in average condition goes for around here. I'm not sure it's ever been fired, and I haven't had time to since I got it. I hope to remedy that before too long.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 20, 2014, 01:28 PM   #49
357 Terms

I love these oldthreads, the going price for a Trooper in 2005 was $250?!!!!

I have long forgotten those days!!

I remember passing on two Six series Rugers for $300 about the same time, that is both!! for $300!!!

I miss those days.
Old August 21, 2014, 01:26 PM   #50
larryf1952

Despite this thread having originated 9 years ago, I never tire of talking about or reading about the Trooper MKIII's.

I traded a Mauser Luger P08 straight across for a new .357 6" Trooper in 1980. I owned that gun until about 2 years ago, when I sold it for $800. It could probably fetch an easy $1K today, as it had remained pristine.

It was a gun of superb quality and finish. I had replaced the original stocks with a nice set of Herrett's Shooting Stars, which fit my hand much better. The gun shot like a dream, and I sold it only because I had finally stopped shooting it altogether, as I was selling off all of my blued revolvers and replacing them with stainless.

Even now, I wouldn't mind having another.