The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Ben

Stop buying ammo!!!

I doubt that I'm the first to suggest this, but if we could all agree to just stop buying ammo for just ONE MONTH, supply would build and prices will come down. We need to stop hoarding it and paying stupid prices just because somebody has some in stock. The world obviously isnt ending next weekend. Hell, AR-15 prices have dropped back to $800 already... so will ammo if you stop buying it for a few weeks.

PS. I'm not doing this for selfish reasons. I get free ammo from work. But I still think we need to get together on this. This thread will probably get moved. But you guys see my point.

Ben
Old May 15, 2013, 07:07 PM   #2
Dragline45

I have a couple hundred round for each caliber I own put aside, except .22 which I have about 1000. But besides that when I buy ammo I buy enough to shoot at that's it. I have no desire to clean out the shelf and screw everyone else looking to buy. Last month at Walmart I was waiting for the clerk to get the key for the ammo case and started talking to another guy also waiting, we were both looking for 9mm and there were two 100rd bulk packs sitting in the case and I told him he could have one of them since I was ahead of him. I would rather see others be able to shoot then have it sitting in my closet.
Old May 15, 2013, 07:16 PM   #3
lamarw

I am doing my part. I have only purchased one box of 20 rounds of .45 Colt in the last year.

Has it helped any?

I reload 99% of my ammuniton.

Hate to disapoint, but I do not think you voluntary plan will work.
Old May 15, 2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Ben

It COULD work. But I'm inclined to agree with you that it WON'T work. People will continue to hoard, and pay huge prices. But it really is up to you guys what the price is.
Ben
Old May 15, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
qwiksdraw

If you look around you can find ammo at regular prices. I don't buy anything at panic prices, but when I find the regular prices I buy there. This way I am supporting the places that don't over price and the guys who sell high don''t and won't get my business.
Old May 15, 2013, 07:36 PM   #6
RodTheWrench

The price is what people are willing to pay. It stinks that 22LR is going for 50 clams for 500 around here but folks are paying it. I have enough of all calibers I own so I'm not worried. It will come down and I'll buy some more then shoot up the older stuff.
Old May 15, 2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Nittespanker

I quit buying ammo when the prices jumped unless I found it at regular prices(rare) I have a neighbor that says he is going to start "flipping ammo" he buys at academy sports. Looks like a guy was right on another thread about people buying ammo to sell. He is finding 9mm in 350 round dry box lots. Tried to sell to me for 135.00. I passed
Old May 15, 2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Hundy

I wish it would work

Quote:
I reload 99% of my ammuniton.
Me too. I will buy a box here and there for regular price, when I find it. As you know that is not too often, but when I do, I just get one. I reload as much as I can. I have enough primers for a while, but I am getting low on powder and that has been real hard to find.
I do like your thinking, but I just don't see it working out. Even if we all did, we are a small pixel, in a large picture.

Jay
Old May 15, 2013, 07:54 PM   #9
TunnelRat

I shoot 600 rds of 9mm a month. I can't even find enough to shoot, much less hoard.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 15, 2013, 08:15 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
Do you reload your 9mm tunnel rat?
No because I'm an idiot. I have thousands of once fired brass saved up. I can get primers around me though powder is hard. If I can stop buying guns for a month I will buy a reloading setup. For a while I had an excuse as I lived in an apartment. Now I live in a house with a good basement that is cool and dry so I need to get my act in order.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 15, 2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Why it was put in semi-auto handgun, I don't know. But moving over to Gen Disc...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 15, 2013, 09:49 PM   #12
BuckRub

I think it's too hard to just say stop and everybody do just that. Sounds good though. I haven't bought a box of shells in about 10 years but I shoot probably more than most. I shoot in my yard about 5 days a week and am constantly reloading. I probably have about 300 boxes of commercial rounds for each caliber I own but shoot alot of reloads too.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:56 PM   #13
keokeboy

got 6000 daisy BBs im set for awhile
Old May 15, 2013, 10:01 PM   #14
stephen426

I think the whole economics of things will eventually catch up and people will be forced to slow down. Last I checked the economy still isn't in great shape. Some people paid some really stupid prices for ARs and AR mags just to watch it drop right back down to almost where it was before Sandy Hook. People who are hoarding ammo cannot continue to sustain their buying, especially if they are over-paying significantly. I doubt they are paying these prices just to go blow them off at the range. There will be a certain percentage who can afford to do that, but most people who don't reload (myself included), have cut down on going to the range. While I have a decent stockpile that I have accumulated over the years, I am hesitant to blow through that stash since it is much harder to replace and much more expensive too. When the credit card bills start rolling in and the safes build up some "safety stock", people will stop buying, or at least slow down significantly.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:12 PM   #15
jeffreyulatan

I got a couple containers full of ammo just for myself lol, but on that point I mostly shoot my reloads.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:14 PM   #16
OakleyAnna

I don't think it is the "normal" (or relatively normal) people on this site who are hoarding the ammo. I think it's people who aren't regular shooters who are getting caught up in the fear mongering going on within politics. I think once certain folks realize that nobody's going to barrel down their door and take away their firearms, and that they probably spent a year's mortgage on guns & ammo that they're barely, if ever shot... I would hope the hysteria will die down and life for everyday shooters, for the most part, will go back to normal.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:08 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
It COULD work. But I'm inclined to agree with you that it WON'T work. People will continue to hoard, and pay huge prices. But it really is up to you guys what the price is.
Ben
It WILL work eventually. The Free Market just takes a little time. Folks with some common sense (and/or foresight) never engaged in the panic at all. I personally haven't purchased anything ammo related since well before the panic, except maybe a box of Nosler bullets, I can't remember when I got them.

Anyhow, the hoarders will run out of money, those purchasing to sell to the hoarders will get stuck with a bunch of ammo, the hoarders will get their credit card bills and there will be a flood of ammo and AR-15s on the market, which they'll list for what they paid, find out no one will pay it and the market will correct the prices.

It just takes time. Be the ant, not the grasshopper.
Old May 15, 2013, 11:24 PM   #18
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have bought ammo in the past 6 months or so, but I wait until it comes in stock at pre panic or close to it prices. I mainly reload, and I guess that is the benefit of living in a very small area, I find primers,powder, and even factory ammo at normal prices. The only ammo I cannot find at normal prices and will not buy is 5.56. I recently even bought 5k rounds of .22lr at pre panic price. I run through between 1-2k of .22lr a month... My LGS got 2 cases of CCI Blazer 525 rd. bulk in, they sold it for $19.99 each bulk pack. I think it was $17.99 before Sandy Hook at the same store.

I agree about not paying panic prices, but people will not stop. I watched a guy sell 17,000 rounds of .22lr outside a gun show (sitting on the back of his truck) at $75 per 500 brick. He completely sold out in just under a day and a half. I wait until MidwayUSA or Graf & Sons etc gets stock in and try to catch it there, since for the most part they aren't price gouging it. It will be a while before the ammo scene calms down. Just advise everyone to not panic and get on the notify lists for the ammo you want from Midway USA and wait. Sometimes you have to be pretty quick to catch it in stock, but at their prices it is worth it.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 15, 2013, 11:46 PM   #19
Nittespanker

If a guy wanted to pay me 75 a brick for .22lr I'd sell all I had or until he had enough and I'd also tell him he has more money than sense. LOL
Old May 15, 2013, 11:55 PM   #20
9mmfan

Not a problem. Can't remember the last time I bought ammo. Of course I haven't been able to go shooting in months, and really don't know when I will be able to in the near future. I oughta go out to the shop and finish learning to reload.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:18 AM   #21
BuckRub

Reloading is the way to go. I have alot of fun and its relaxing to me. I just 5 minutes ago finished two boxes of 38 specials that I shot about 3 days ago. Reloading prices have went up too and some things are hard to get at times. You have to stick up big time in bulk when you find things and sooner or later you'll use them. The 38 specials that I just loaded were basically free because my friend gave me all the components (bullets, powder and primers) and my brass.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:23 AM   #22
FrankenMauser

I haven't bought ammo since early 2012. And, even then, it was just .22 LR.

Buy when it's cheap.
Laugh when it's not available.
Old May 16, 2013, 07:28 AM   #23
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nah, it wouldn't work.

The government would simply swoop in to buy up what little they haven't already bought, keeping prices high and supply low.

WHOOPS! Did I really say that?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 16, 2013, 07:31 AM   #24
22-rimfire

Too many people involved for that to work. Folks that feel they need some would simply look at this temporary buying slowdown as an opportunity.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:23 AM   #25
Alabama Shooter

Not my fault, my last purchase was in November. When I checked the prices in December they had shot up 20% so all my purchases went on hold to the current shortage passes. People buying into a shortage are foolish. They either got caught short beforehand and are paying the price or they are paying top dollar for something they don't need. You can't tell them that and expect them to understand.

The ones that irk me are the guys that buy it all up at Walmart and resell it at the flea market on the weekend. If the IRS was not so busy wasting time on other things they could maybe look into that.