The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 4, 2012, 08:12 PM   #26
edfrompa

Senior Citizen rate is $42.00 dollars a year. You can shoot 24/7 indoor or outdoor. Pretty awesome!
For you young dudes it is about $70.00 a year which is still pretty cheap for what you get at this club. They even include the targets.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:48 AM   #27
Gaerek

I bought a year membership to my local indoor range that pays for itself after about 6 or 7 visits. I think it was about $80. No time limit on the range, half price gun rentals (ends up being like $5 for a rental), and free eyes and ears if you need them (I bring my own). Look into picking up a membership if you can. If you go at least once a month (I try to go once a week, but at least twice a month), you'll likely save money.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:15 AM   #28
anothernewb

The local gun club has an outdoor and an indoor range. membership is $25 a year for both. Indoor is a 50' range costs $3 for the first 4 targets and $0.25 per target thereafter.

Neither gun range is what you would consider fancy. Many would consider the accommodations quite crude. There are no gun rentals or anything like that, but the price is unbeatable, The outdoor range is open 24/7 and most of the people are real friendly and the old timers are a wealth of information.

The downside is that the outdoor is on your own honor to clean up after yourself, and not everyone does the best job. We have our share of yahoos that shoot up the supports and leave messes and so forth.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:26 AM   #29
Prof Young

$4 a day

In Indiana there are state owned shooting ranges located in some state parks. The one I frequent is $4 for the day. There are 50 and 100 yard rifle ranges, plus 10, 15 and 25 yard pistol ranges. There's a shotgun range and you can use their clay bird throwing machine. Even an archery range near by. Gotta love it.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old December 9, 2012, 02:01 AM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

In this area, figure on paying between $15 and $20 to shoot at an indoor range. I've never been charged by the hour, but I have had to wait for a lane if it's a busy day.

Most of them have some sort of membership program that provides reduced range fees (and sometimes other discounts) if you pay an annual fee. How much it reduces your effective cost to shoot, in practice, depends on how often you shoot.

The largest indoor range in the area has a membership program that will save you money if you use the range at least 13 times a year, or, if you also purchase a prepaid punch card for an additional discount, you can break even shooting only 10 times a year.

Some offer additional discounts when you renew your membership, for example, at the aforementioned range, your membership fee is reduced by 25% the first renewal and by 50% for your second renewal.

If you're shooting quite often, you should inquire about higher levels of membership. Again, going back to the range discussed above, it allows "Gold" members to shoot for free. Of course, the annual fee for that "privilege" is considerable. But if you regularly shoot a couple of times a month or more, it would pay off. And down the road, when the membership fee discount kicks in at your renewal, it gets even more economical.

If you need to rent a gun, you can usually get one for around $10, but you must buy the range's ammunition. They won't allow you to use your own ammunition. That generally ups the practical cost of a rental significantly since the indoor ranges I know of seem to all have a very impressive markup on their ammunition.

Ear and eye pro may be provided free, or there may be a small fee of $1 or $2 depending on the range.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:41 AM   #31
North East Redneck

The club I belong to is $75 per year a person or $100 for family. We have outdoor rifle range, 25-200 yard lanes. Skeet, outdoor pistol range, indoor pistol range,(small cal rifles allowed on indoor pistol range) outdoor archery range, a woods course for archery, indoor archery range and private fishing pond. Ranges fees are $3 per member and $6 per guest. Shoot as long as you want. All range fees are honor system, sign in and put the cash in a locked box. Fishing is for members only. Catch and release only. We also have a large outdoor cage where game birds are raised. Also have a big clubhouse. After seeing what some of you pay, I feel very fortunate to have this facility only 15 miles from the house. All of the ranges are monitored by cameras that record. Weeds out the bad apples real quick.

Last edited by North East Redneck; December 9, 2012 at 08:46 AM.