The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2006, 01:34 AM   #1
Capt_Vin

Hand loading

I recently bought a Hi-Point 9mm carbine and was told by of all people, a state trooper I met at the range that it may be a wise choice to start handloading my own bullets for this weapon because in the long run, it will save me a ton of $$ compared to buying the store bought stuff. I never really gave handloading as much as a thought. Where do I start? What do I need? Any good books on the subject? The 9mm carbine is great, but the 350 rounds I shot today cost me almost $200.00 (15 boxes of 25 @ almost $14.00 a box). Pretty expensive afternoon. How much will it run me in equipment and supplies here? I know it isn't a .22 to shoot but this carbine is a most excellent weapon to shoot and I am hooked.
Old April 3, 2006, 07:10 AM   #2
Rangefinder

I handload, otherwise I'd drive myself to the poor house with what my 6mm and 7mm cost to shoot factory. But 9mm is one of those you can get ammo for at a good price bulk. Not that you shouldn't get into handloading, I just wouldn't for those rounds where it doesn't make a noticible cost difference.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 3, 2006, 07:27 AM   #3
caz223

$14 a box of 25 for 9mm?????
You're getting ripped off.
Walmart has 100 packs of 9mm for $12.00 or thereabouts.
It sounds like you're practicing with self defense ammo, an expensive habit to get into.
I thought I was shooting premium ammo, handloaded 147 grain JHPs loaded to 1000 FPS, and I'm loading them for about $5.00 /50.
If you bought your ammo at walmart, you could have shot 400 rounds for just a little over $50.
The meijer store I was at last week had 100 packs of win white box for $14.00, about 1/4 the price you were paying.
I think gander mountain had 'em for $16.49, and I considered that a ripoff, since at the time walmart was selling the same 100 pack for $10.96 plus tax. That was maybe 6 months ago.

First, you need some brass. Buy a case of cheap reloadable brass cased ammo (WIN brass is excellent brass.) and save all your brass.
While you're doing that, figure out how much you want to shoot that gun, and report back.
We will tell you if the savings will amount to anything, or not....
I personally wouldn't reload for 9mm unless I had to pay those incredible prices you did. That's obscene!
Old April 3, 2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Rangefinder

Also look in places like Cabella's, or Cheaper than Dirt. I buy 7.62 for around $100 a case. Wolf 9mm is listing at $104 for 1000 rds. in my Cabella's "bible".

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 3, 2006, 08:38 AM   #5
caz223

There are none in my area, but I hear good things about bass pro shops, cabelas, academy sports, etc.
I know georgia arms used to have a website, but they haven't updated in in a very long time. They are a commercial reloading outfit.
Their prices have certainly gone up, but if you don't reload it's about the cheapest place to find 357SIG ammo bulk packed already in an ammo can. (canned heat special.)
Old April 3, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Leftoverdj

I concur. Blasting ammo for the 9 mm is too cheap to justify beginning reloading. Shoot that white box Winchester and put the brass back in the boxes. Selling the brass will take three-four bucks a hundred off your cost of shooting. Boxed brass of one brand brings a much better price than mixed range pickup.

People who are already set up can save significant money because they don't have the high initial investment to pay off. Caz's figures for premium ammo look about right, and a reloader who is also a caster can get his cost down to about $4 a hundred.

The story is different for those of us who shoot strange milsurp or other oddball stuff. I shoot a 9mm Largo and reloading is the only way to go.
Old April 3, 2006, 11:15 AM   #7
caz223

Agreed. I wouldn't even be into reloading if it weren't for calibers like .41 magnum and 10mm. If you want to shoot .41 magnum, you NEED to reload. If you can find ammo at a local store, it will cost you over $35 a box of 50.
I reload 'em for less than $10 /50, and again, that's premium ammo (XTP bullets, magnum primers, and 2400 powder.)
Casting bullets is almost mandatory for some calibers too, but I don't happen to own them. Just don't have that kind of spare time laying around. Casting bullets for the nine is a love of labor, and just casting for fun, as a hobby.
Price some .50AE bullets sometime ($20.00 or more for 50 bullets, and that's not the whole round, that's just the component bullet.), and tell me casting doesn't make sense. It does. Just not for 9mm. Same with reloading it. It typically isn't worth your time unless you're gonna shoot other calibers or just MASSIVE amounts of 9mm.