The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 17, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Blindjim

I can't see... show me a light!

yes indeed it always amueses me when I stumble into a gun shop or better yet, a range noticing the looks I get and the whispers I hear about me as I pass others by on my way to set up. Really, it is a spectacle and always pretty funny an event.

but everyone has needs... and I have one more today... I want to keep breathing despite today's growing number of threats to one's home and lifestyle we all are enduring and seeking to overcome.

I think I need some large degree of experience for this request. Or input from someone on top of what new tech is out there today for tactical pistol lighting and targeting functionality.

I’m seeking a battery operated pistol light source for a 1913 rail. CR 123s are prefered… but no deal breaker if it is otherwise

I’m interested in acquiring one which can provide approximately 200 – 250 lumen or so.

To be used as a target light predominately, but it should have some spill as it seems all but lasers do.

I seriously doubt any 5W laser type will do but what the heck do I know about toddays ilk of pistol lights?

I need or want, about a grapefruit or at least tennis ball or baseball sized steady spot to develop at 30ft & under. Naturally, closer in, the light should become smaller in diameter… but I definitely need something which generates a spot of light beyond the size of a shirt button, or a dime, as lasers tend to provide. White or yellow colors are fine enough, but in no case a red colored light.

Red on dark/black is invisible to me.

If, and this is my truest need, this spot of light being generated can also double as a light by which the gun itself can get dialed in for shooting that would be enourmous.

In other words… where the light is at, is where the round will hit. At it’s top, center, or bottom makes little difference to me… so long as I know that part going in. Of course, depending on the differences in distances, I’d train to be able to adjust as cases are.

Up & or down toggle operation is OK. Tail button operation is fine too if it’s short enough a light, but no LEFT to RIGHT Slide as I have now. Two handed operation or one, is no matter either.ON/OFF & Momentary functions are fine.

I don’t feel a Strobe function is needed, let’s save that one for concerts and dance halls.

CREE technology LED bulbs seems a good choice, but if the thing is durable and not terribly expensive I’m way OK with it. I mention expense as I’ll maybe be buying two.

I seriously doubt lighted or trick front and rear sights are my salvatiomn but if you truly think your blind in one eye and can’t see out t’ other dear old Granpa could use it, let me know!

My current optics are not refined gbut ‘will work and do’, appliances. The pistol light is a one cell, 190 lumen light and I’m reasonably comfortable with it around the house. My SPX 930 12ga has a far more intense light atop it though it is rated at 200 lumen as well and is a 3 cell battery operated fixture. It’s light is very large! Actually a flashlight I believe tasked to this enterprise rather than a true long gun light.

Trust me it’s terribly bright. With loads of spill but not the most defined center spot… and it’s spot is large too. A bit too large actually, but for an autoloader shotgun? it’ll do.

Thanks for taking up your time, and all of your input.
Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

.... for me, life becomes less and less shocking with every pull of the trigger.