The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 7, 2011, 02:50 PM   #1
DogoDon

New Pro-Gun Legislation for NC!

I was very glad to see the legislative efforts that are afoot in North Carolina, as reported to me in an email from NRA-ILA received just minutes ago. Here's an excerpt from the email:

North Carolina: 2011 legislative Session Begins with the Introduction of Castle Doctrine Legislation in Raleigh!

The North Carolina General Assembly convened last week, and the NRA is working with state legislators to introduce several pro-gun reforms. Our legislative goals include Right-to-Carry reforms that will expand where permit holders may lawfully carry their concealed firearms, eliminating the archaic requirement that law-abiding citizens request permission from their local sheriff before purchasing a handgun, passing a solid Castle Doctrine law, and fixing the problems with the current statutes relating to a declared state of emergency.

State Senators Andrew Brock (R-34), Doug Berger (D-7) and Kathy Harrington (R-43) have already introduced Senate Bill 34, which would codify the “Castle Doctrine” in the home, as well as establish immunity from civil lawsuits for those who use lethal force to defend themselves or their loved ones while in their home.

I'll be contacting my state senators and representatives to urge them to vote for these needed reforms. All NC members here, please do likewise! Thanks,

DD
Old February 15, 2011, 10:12 AM   #2
JasonG

Having recently moved from Ga, I have found NC's gun laws supprising to say the least.
Hopefully the no guns during a state of emergency will be next.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old February 15, 2011, 11:39 AM   #3
MadHatter1

Great news! NC has the most archaic gun laws of anywhere in the South. Has anything specific been said about which parts of the prohibited places list is being targeted for change or elimination?
Old February 18, 2011, 09:39 AM   #4
MadHatter1

I did a little digging on pending legislation:
S34/H52 is a pretty decent castle doctrine bill.
H74 is also titled 'Castle Doctrine' but a quick read indicated that it gives the citizen more leaway in using deadly force, as well as removes the current requirement to retreat if possible.
HB63 is a 'Bring your gun to work' law that would allow you to keep a weapon in your car on your employers property, prohibit employers from establishing policies banning firearms in a personal vehicle, and prevents discrimination based on exercising this right. It also holds an employer civily liable if having and enforcing such a policy results in injury or death of the employee (ie, you stop on your way home from work for a loaf of bread -unarmed because of your employers policy- and are assulted in the parking lot of the store). Your EMPLOYER can be held liable because his policy denied you the opprotunity to protect yourself. I find this last provision interesting. I know several states have such laws, but I've never heard of on providing liability for the employer.
HB111 would allow for carry in parks and resturants with a valid permit. This would include resturants that serve alcohol for on site consumption.

Disclaimer: This is just a quick summery as I understand the pending legisation. I am not an attorney, and am not fully fluent in legalize.