The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 3, 2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Hansam

Gun rack in truck?

I'm thinking about mounting a gun rack in my truck. I'll be carrying 2 guns, a 10/22 with a side folding stock and an old pump action mossberg 12 guage. The 10/22 doesn't have to be folded up for carry/transport.

I'd like them to be accessible but not entirely visible from the outside of the truck. Here's the problem though; I have a 94 Suburban and I'm ALWAYS carrying stuff in my cargo area (trunk). I need to be able to carry the long gons in a fashion that they won't get bumped around, jammed, crammed and just outright abused when I'm loading, carrying and unloading cargo. I was thinking of mounting something onto the ceiling but I don't know what to use.

Anyone got any suggestions? Oh and I don't want spend too much on this little project. Less than $50 if possible... definitely no more than $100 though.
Old June 3, 2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Vermonter

suggestion

Id check local law on a loaded long gun in the vehicle. If they arent loaded then there isnt as much of a need for them to be accessable.
Old June 3, 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

It doesn't matter where you live anymore, an unattended gun in plain sight is going to be stolen. Put them in a hanging case behind the front seats, the kind with a loop over the top of the front seat, that should keep them out of sight.
Old June 4, 2012, 12:51 AM   #4
TripHlx

I've always wondered about the possibility of mounting some kind of fastening system to the roof interior of a SUV or van. Lots of rarely used space up there in most cases, it isn't too terribly easy to observe the actual roof inside a vehicle unless that is your intent, and seems like it would be easy enough to cover up as well.
Old June 4, 2012, 04:00 AM   #5
mete

I saw a well armed NPS officer with handgun, shotgun and an AR-15 type rifle .The rifle was in a rack attached to the roof inside. ..I think he was paranoid !
Old June 4, 2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Hansam

Quote:
Id check local law on a loaded long gun in the vehicle. If they arent loaded then there isnt as much of a need for them to be accessable.
Its legal to transport unloaded and uncased long arms in a vehicle in my state. Unloaded meaning that there can't be ammunition in the firearm or in a magazine (detachable or not) that is attached to the firearm.

Both would be unloaded however I'd have a loaded magazine for the 10/22 in the center console of my truck. The shotgun... well I've always got shells in the back of my truck in an ammo case. The reason for this is critters. Too often I find myself coming across a critter (varmint) when coming home late at night either tearing into my garbage or digging up the garden etc. The problem I have then is if I park, go inside my home and get a firearm (I don't feel like wasting a .45acp on a coon or rabbit) and come back out the varmint has high tailed it out of the area. Be easier if I could park, get out, get the 10/22, slip the mag in and take the shot.

Quote:
It doesn't matter where you live anymore, an unattended gun in plain sight is going to be stolen. Put them in a hanging case behind the front seats, the kind with a loop over the top of the front seat, that should keep them out of sight.
Luckily for me I know all my neighbors and they're all trustworthy. That said I don't believe in having the firearms in plain sight from the exterior of the truck. Even with tinted windows a rifle and/or shotgun hanging in a window is an invitation for a break in. That's why I was considering the ceiling of the truck somehow - as was posted by someone else there's a lot of unused real estate up there. Hanging a case behind the front seats isn't an option. I have kids and regularly cart my kids around as well and they'd kick the case, spill juice/milk/water on the case and everything else kids do in your car.
Old June 4, 2012, 07:14 AM   #7
Salmoneye

As suggested, there are various systems for overhead mounting in vehicles...

Had one in a Jeep CJ8 long ago that I bought from JC Whitney...
Old June 4, 2012, 07:23 AM   #8
zincwarrior

Quote:
When I was young everyone had a shotgun rack with a shotgun and an umbrella (hey Gulf Coast of Texas - it rains). However in the space of a few years people quit doing so, as they became targets for thieves.
Old June 4, 2012, 11:19 AM   #9
rickyrick

It's quite legal to traverse almost anywhere in my state with a loaded rifle. Gun racks in pickups were very common for a very long time. Now it would be as if you had taped several hundred dollars to your bumper.

Smash and grabs are very commonplace now and a rifle would be safe only in a trunk, an empty rack would only say follow me to my guns. Guns,no matter the type, caliber or action bring 1000$ minimum price in Mexico, so, keep them close or locked and hidden.
Old June 5, 2012, 05:50 PM   #10
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Cabela's used to sell a Big-Sky rack that went on the ceiling . I had one in my old Bronco , and loved it . Makes your guns damned near invisable in a place nobody looks . They're held in place by a velcro strap , the gun can be in your hands in about two seconds , pointing in the right direction to boot !
Old June 8, 2012, 06:27 PM   #11
hps1

You might take a look at this sun visor shelf. I built one for my Wrangler but don't use it as a rifle rack. Very handy for binoculars, cameras, etc. as well.

http://http://www.jcwhitney.com/shelf-it-overhead-storage-shelf/p2017549.jcwx

Regards,
hps
Old June 8, 2012, 09:25 PM   #12
Slotback

If you know someone at a metal shop, perhaps they could make you a rack that attaches underneath the seat. Then your guns are along the front of the seat, yet difficult to spot.

Just a thought.