The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 14, 2013, 09:25 PM   #1
rebs

10 to 7 round mags ?

Can a 10 round mag be made to hold only 7 rounds ?
I mean can the floor plate be removed and something put inside the mag so it will only accept 7 rounds ?
Old January 14, 2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Alabama Shooter

Yes. You could put a block or a screw in the bottom. Would not suggest it unless you live in NY.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Jeff H

Sure you could put a wood spacer in but I must ask why. 7 rounds is an odd number. Is there some proposed legislation somewhere that would make you ask the question?
Old January 14, 2013, 10:00 PM   #4
stu925

Quote:
Yes. You could put a block or a screw in the bottom. Would not suggest it unless you live in NY.
Not even necessary in NY 10 rounders are legal here. Although magazine limit while hunting is 5 rounds.

Stu
Old January 14, 2013, 10:00 PM   #5
123kiwi

We have the 7 round rule in New Zealand, its really quite bizarre. Mags are either 5 or 10 round so I have no idea why the number 7 was chosen?
I think logic did not prevail here
Old January 14, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
NWPilgrim

Sure just remove your backbone and put an unused portion in bottom of mag.

Seriously, though on AR15 mags 20-rd mags are made into 10-rdrs by punching in a small square of the sheetmetal side to stop the travel if the follower. That qualified in CA for new purchase (mfg did the indent) and is easily removed with a drill or Dremel when you move out of state.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:05 PM   #7
UtopiaTexasG19

7 round limit proposed in NY
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512437
Old January 14, 2013, 10:07 PM   #8
musher

I'm guessing the op is thinking about this New York state legislation that the tea leaf readers believe is going to pass

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...n-gun-control/

Drops mag limit to 7, among other things.

Darn, beat by Texas. Pretty embarrassing for an Alaska boy.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:12 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
Mags are either 5 or 10 round so I have no idea why the number 7 was chosen?
If this requirement has been around for a few decades, I'm betting that the reason for the 7rd limit was to allow M1911s to be legally owned, but not Luger P.08's or Walther P.38's.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:19 AM   #10
TPAW

Reducing the mag from 10 to 7 is one thing, what about spring tension? Will that be compromised?
Old January 15, 2013, 12:38 AM   #11
DesertFox5768

This should terrify gun owners for the precedent. I'd never even heard serious talk of a map cap of below 10 until now, and apparently this is going to pass. That means future mag cap legislation on state and national levels could start at 7 instead of 10!

Instead of, "What do you need more than 10 rounds for?" the question could become "What do you need more than 7 rounds for?" I feel bad for law-abiding citizens of NY and hope this gets amended, defeated, or thrown out by the courts, but this is terrible news. I'm shocked that I'm not seeing much more about it on gun forums.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:17 AM   #12
9mm

Quote:
Not even necessary in NY 10 rounders are legal here. Although magazine limit while hunting is 5 rounds.
Quote:
Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2I1RKorFD
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ew-york-state/
Old January 15, 2013, 01:29 AM   #13
mete

Handguns ? The 1911 has a 7 round mag !

Has anyone seen comment by NYS about financial compensation for these firearms ?
Old January 15, 2013, 02:03 AM   #14
Dr Big Bird PhD

Woah... Did the NY bill really pass?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 15, 2013, 02:47 AM   #15
Ignition Override

Will the guns carried by NY politicians' bodyguards hold only seven (maybe +1) rounds, IF this passes?

I doubt that those guys could stop three attackers with seven rounds.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:58 AM   #16
BarryLee

A perfect example of why compromise is never going to work. I have heard several folks over the last few weeks state that everyone should be able to agree on ten round magazines. Well, guess what? Once they get them down to ten then they start working to reduce it to seven and then to eliminate guns altogether.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 15, 2013, 04:17 AM   #17
DesertFox5768

Quote:
A perfect example of why compromise is never going to work. I have heard several folks over the last few weeks state that everyone should be able to agree on ten round magazines. Well, guess what? Once they get them down to ten then they start working to reduce it to seven and then to eliminate guns altogether.
Bull's eye.

"Why do you need more than seven rounds?" becomes "Why do you need more than two rounds?" becomes "Why do you need a gun when you have a phone?"
Old January 15, 2013, 07:08 AM   #18
UtopiaTexasG19

All the proposals for the 7 round magazines will use the word "permanent" so all the talk on gun forums about "spacers" and "tabs" isn't going to cut it this time around. Quit thinking that the other side is stupid. Not every liberal is like Feinstein.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:58 AM   #19
rebs

NYS passed a new gun law allowing you to keep 10 round magazines as long as you only load 7 rounds. So I need to get some before its signed into law. If anyone has some, let me know.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:14 AM   #20
bumnote

Quote:
All the proposals for the 7 round magazines will use the word "permanent" so all the talk on gun forums about "spacers" and "tabs" isn't going to cut it this time around. Quit thinking that the other side is stupid.
This was my thinking about the subject. The reality is they want to limit magazine capacity to 5. No one is going to a make a 7 round AR magazine, and they can 7 is a "compromise" between 5 and 10, but the reality will likely be 5 rounds will be the limit imposed simply because I doubt anyone is going to manufacture a 7 round magazine strictly for NY.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:36 AM   #21
spacecoast

Quote:
Woah... Did the NY bill really pass?
Heard on the news this morning that it passed one house of the legislature 43-18, and was expected to pass the other easily this morning, then all it needs is the governor's signature and he's in favor.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ew-york-state/

Quote:
"It is well-balanced, it protects the Second Amendment," said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos of Long Island. "And there is no confiscation of weapons, which was at one time being considered".
Old January 15, 2013, 08:43 AM   #22
JimPage

The bill passed. It stinks.

Ten round mags can be used if only loaded with seven rounds. That's the least of the lousy things in this bill.

@#$%^&*(

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old January 15, 2013, 08:45 AM   #23
spacecoast

Quote:
Ten round mags can be used if only loaded with seven rounds
Also heard that you would have a year to get rid of your "hi-cap" 8 rounds or higher magazines.

That's going to hurt a lot of the 1911 crowd as well.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:58 AM   #24
Maxb49

The are numerous issues with this bill.

There's a takings clause issue. There's an ex post facto issue. There's also a Heller and McDonald issue.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:05 AM   #25
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Reducing the mag from 10 to 7 is one thing, what about spring tension? Will that be compromised?
No. It will work the same as if you fired three rounds out of a ten round magazine.

Quote:
All the proposals for the 7 round magazines will use the word "permanent" so all the talk on gun forums about "spacers" and "tabs" isn't going to cut it this time around.
If I screw something in place with a tamper proof screw it is permanent. If the law proscribes something different than that is something different.