The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2010, 11:03 AM   #1
1goodshot

RCBS sidewinder

Having trouble with the drum not turning,Ive cleaned the rollers but the thing still hangs up. You guys got any ideas? I may have to buy a new drum for $90 or just get a different tumbler, maybe a vibator type.

Thanks
Old March 7, 2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

A cheap vibratory type (under $50) may be useful to you a a second unit anyway. I have both a Thumbler and Lyman Turbo 1200 and use both. Run wet media, like the 1/4" long 0.040" stainless wires and water and ivory soap in the Sidewinder, which cleans the brass inside and out and the primer pockets, which the vibratory won't, then polish in the vibratory unit after it dries. Fine corncob in the vibratory also does a good job of removing case lube from rifle rounds.

Let the vibratory unit tide you over while you return the Sidewinder to RCBS. Their customer service will figure out if it's the drum, the drive surfaces hardening, or whatever. Often they fix stuff free even if it's out of warranty. Just call and ask to return it for repair and see what happens?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 8, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old March 8, 2010, 01:03 AM   #3
highrolls

I got my sidewinder a long time ago. Around the mid 80's I think. It had the exact problem you describe. If the design is still the same on the metal rollers, the contact surface area between the metal roller and the hard plastic of the drum is not large enough for proper friction with light weight contents. I have found two solutions.

1. Add more weight to the drum, which I never liked, but if you use it like Unclenick does with wet media, that is what you are doing.

2. Add more friction to the hard plastic drum contact surface. Window or door sealant adhesive tape, which is a soft rubber with adhesive backing, about half inch wide or less (rear drum roller is narrower than the front) can be stuck on the drum roller surfaces easily and the foam rubber type lasts me about six months before wiping it off and re-applying. (That is necessary because the foam type tape sealant will wear down to the smoother plastic.)This fix is adequate to allow the drum to properly rotate even when empty.

When you have had it over 25 years, mine now has a motor overheat problem so I think I need to replace the motor.

Last edited by highrolls; March 8, 2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old March 8, 2010, 01:57 AM   #4
riverwalker76

If you're going to get a new one ... invest in a Thumbler's Tumbler UV-18IND. Not the standard UV-18. The IND is what you are looking for, and it stands for Industrial.

I got mine a couple of days ago. THis thing is amazing ! I polished 200 rds. of .223 brass in 1 HOUR. They were dirty Lake City / Once fired from the dealer, and were so dirty I was wondering if they'd ever come clean before I put them in. They did, and boy am I happy with my investment! All I used was corn cob media from the pet isle at Wal-Mart labeled "Pet Bedding" with a cap full of Nu-Finish in the mix.

This tumbler is also the quietest I have ever heard. Some of the ones I've used sounded like a jackhammer from the next room. This one is quiet, and left me wondering if it was running when I left the room.

I got mine from Grainger. They list the model UV-18, but you get the UV-18IND. I think the difference is the heavier springs, better motor, and noise dampening qualities. I'd check into it if you are going to get a new one anyway.

Here's a link ..... Thumbler's Tumbler UV-18IND

I forgot to add that I did my research before buying this tumbler. The reason all of the reloading companies are able to offer cheap/ affordable tumblers is because they are all Made in China with a lot of plastic in the parts. The Thumbler's Tumbler is Made in the USA and 99% of the parts are metal.

Last edited by riverwalker76; March 8, 2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: updated
Old March 8, 2010, 05:45 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

Just Call RCBS

When mine started that business I found it had worn around the rim of the drum. IT finally got to the point it would stop here and there and wore gouges in the drum. I just called RCBS and asked them about the cost of a replacement, they answered with "whats your name and address, we'll have one headed your way shortly". I have had mine since back in the 80's too. Used it wet, dry, with moly, you name it. I use it now to remove moly from bullets I have gotten on sale or on close outs, and am on my third drum.

I would just call them, might be on hold for a bit or, might have to make a couple of calls to get through but the service it worth it, and the price of a new one is definitely worth it.