The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2009, 03:11 PM   #1
fatboy02

Shot my first reloads today

First off I want to Thank every one of you on this forum for all of the help from choosing equipment to safety.

I finally found primers yesterday and with a couple of extra days off this week I loaded my first .45 ACP home loads and shot them. I only did five then fired them to test and now I just finished my first 100 going to take them to an actual range to test out and see if I need to make any adjustments.

It was a great feeling shooting my own ammo for the first time, I was a little nervouse with the first pull of the trigger but after that first round it just felt good.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with all of us newbies, and to anyone reading this that is thinking about reloading all I have to say is "DO IT" you will love it and save money too.
Old March 24, 2009, 03:32 PM   #2
putteral

Welcome to the addiction! Wait till you start to cast your own bullets!
Old March 24, 2009, 04:01 PM   #3
sewerman

yeah, i have to agree...there's nothing quite as satisfying as squeezing off the rounds that ya reloaded yourself.

sewerman

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old March 24, 2009, 04:07 PM   #4
JDG

Congrats! Must be the first five were accurate enough to make 100. I usually will load 10 of the recommended start weight, then increase a few tenths with 10 more, and repeat till I'm up to near max. That way you don't get 90 rounds you dont like Sounds like you found a decent load, however

Welcome to reloading!
Old March 24, 2009, 10:50 PM   #5
fatboy02

Well I may have gotten a little over zelous with the 100 rounds but in my first test yes they were pretty accurate. I am sure after heading to the range I will be bumping a few grains at a time but being my first reloads I am very happy with them. Now I will start working up to more accurate rounds.

I thoght that I would wait a while but I am already doing research into casting my own bullets too. I can see how this can be addicting.
Old March 24, 2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Mr Odd Six

Pistol reloading and casting is way eaiser than rifle.

Jump right in. Lots of casting stuff used at gun shows.

Get your molds first, they may be the hardest thing to find.

Then a heat source (I use my coleman stove) a pot and a themometer
Old March 25, 2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Edward429451

Well? What load did you use? Jacketed or lead? Any malfs at all? You can't do this to us bro! We want details...

Old March 25, 2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Zombie Steve

I had to take in a big, deep breath before I touched off my first handload.

Congratulations. It won't be long before you can't remember if you reload to shoot, or you shoot to reload.

Old March 25, 2009, 01:30 PM   #9
fatboy02

1st load data

It was.

4.5 grn Titegroup (Just above starting load)
230 grn winchester fmj
Winchester primers
My once fired brass and mixed picked up at the range.

I matched the seating depth to the Winchester white box since my colt has worked flawlessly with those. I only shot 5 rounds but no problems this weekend I will post a better range report. I did notice less recoil for sure with this load.
Old March 25, 2009, 02:35 PM   #10
Russ5924

You don't want to get to far ahead of your self reloading. I have seen guys load 500 hundred and find out they were junk. And it takes longer to get them apart than to reload. I remember having to do a 100 once. Once you find the right combo of powder and bullet go for it. I only like to do 10 or 12 at a time but when I feel get close to what I want I do more
Old March 25, 2009, 02:41 PM   #11
dsv424

Congrats fatboy! Boy I sure remember my first time. Even though you know you did everything right there's that tiny bit of doubt that you may have missed something or mis-understood someones advise that makes pulling the trigger the first time so nervous. I even wore a thick heavy leather glove(could barely get my finger in the trigger guard) the first time I tried my own ammo. But after that first success I was grinnin from ear to ear!
Old March 25, 2009, 03:36 PM   #12
putteral

Well Done ! Good load to start with!
Old March 25, 2009, 08:57 PM   #13
fatboy02

I am pretty pleased with the way everything came out. The advice I got here was what pushed me over the edge on the decision to try it. I hope some day I can give the advice that I received to someone new looking into it.
Old March 25, 2009, 09:48 PM   #14
jamaica

That's great! I loaded my first rounds so many years ago I can't remember shooting the first one. It has been a great hobby all these years, and I am still buying a bit of new stuff (tools, books, Dies etc.) now and then. I started out loading 30-30, and shortly afterwards 44 Spl. Nowdays, I don't shoot as much rifle, but shoot more handgun ammo.

Over the years I have loaded, 30-30, 270, 30-06, 308, 264 Win Mag, 218 bee, 222 Rem, 243, 45 ACP, 44 Spl, 38 Spl. 357 Mag, 45 Colt. and my experience ain't a drop in the bucket to what some of these fellers do. So you see where you may be headed?

Have fun! Be safe!
Old March 25, 2009, 10:48 PM   #15
BIGR

Way to go. Now you are on your way to alot of shooting at a cheaper price...
Old March 25, 2009, 10:56 PM   #16
MrSardonicus

Kudos, fatboy, kudos.

Firing off your first reload is akin to some of the other wonderful and notable firsts in life...you will never forget it.

May your bits always go bang, and many happy returns!