The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 2, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1
LonelyAtTheTop

20 ga Foster type slugs

What does the market offer in this chambering? Gun in question is a Win 1400Mk 11 smooth bore with I/C choke and very little use as a trap gun many years ago. Excellent condition. It handles #3 buck with no complaints. I checked with Winchester and customer service states Foster type slugs should be no problem. Any recommendations? Primary use is for HD/SD with possible short distance deer/hog applications in a rural area. I will Google, etc, but wanted input from those who know. Many thanks in advance!
Old October 2, 2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Ruger4570

No one in here can say what your paticular gun will do with any other particular slug. It is fantacy to think we could. Buy some slugs and try them out for yourself.
Old October 3, 2007, 08:37 AM   #3
LonelyAtTheTop

Actually my fantasy seems to be expecting anything other than a rude reply to what I thought was a well articulated request for information from more experienced people than myself. I plan on buying some slugs when I can locate them. The question was what is available not predicting their performance in my gun. But to answer my own post, Midway's catalogue lists only two nonrifled slugs in 20ga. At the risk of putting the bull's eye on my back again, any other sources?

But, hey, thanks anyway Ruger4570.
Old October 3, 2007, 10:38 PM   #4
tech4061

I usually order from Natchez. Never had a bad experience with them.

https://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?c...t=0&startRow=1
Old October 3, 2007, 11:40 PM   #5
.45 COLT

Remington, Winchester and Federal each offer two 20 Gauge, Foster-Style, Rifled Slug loads. Those are the ones for smoothbores. This time of year, they should be available at almost anyplace that sells ammunition.

DC
Old October 4, 2007, 08:43 AM   #6
LonelyAtTheTop

Thanks again. I found Federal Truball at a local shop and will continue looking. Natchez site is bookmarked.
Old October 4, 2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Ruger4570

Try some Lightfields. One of the most accurate I have shot in a Non rifled bore.
Old October 4, 2007, 05:05 PM   #8
crowbeaner

Be sure to measure the bore on your shotgun, as different guns and mfgs. use different measurements in their guns. I measured 5 different barrels and guns and got 5 different diameters! How your gun shoots a particular load can only be determined by trial and error; meaning you have to shoot them all to see what works best in your particular gun and barrel. You may want to use a sled or some type of recoil reducing pad/ shot bag to avoid the bruises. I have had the best results with the Federal loads in my 12 ga. but your 20 may like something else entirely. WW makes a good Foster load also. Hope this helps. Enjoy. CB.