The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 4, 2011, 09:16 AM   #1
tynimiller

Thompson Center Impact (purchased...review to come)

Well finally put the old, cheap, but reliable Traditions E-bolt 209 back in the box and gonna sell it...so in comes my new purchase Thompson Center's new Impact muzzleloader 50cal. I was dead set on getting an Optima Pro or Traditions Pursuit but finally decided for the price I'd go with a Thompson Center. Pulled the gun, with fiber optic sights (no scope), blued barrel with a synthetic stock for right around $230. It should be here for some weekend shooting, and I will post my results.

I realize this is the lower tier of T/C but I'm an avid bowhunter who honestly picks up the bow even during gun season some...so I didn't need an extremely high dollar ML to feel content. And I was already shooting touching shots from 50yards (3-4inch at 100) with my Traditions e-bolt so this thing has to be a step up and will hopefully have me close to touching out to 100-150yards.

Will keep you guys posted.
Old January 11, 2011, 10:00 PM   #2
tynimiller

Okay, gun finally showed up and man is this thing a beauty! I'm an immediate fan of the "hood" style break action Thompson Center has put out now. The easy removal breech plug is crazy nice. No more fumbling for cleaning purposes for the parts to be able to remove it. Just a 4inch long metal tube that fixes around the breech plug turns plug out with just two fingers. Crazy, been used to the hard T-bar style removal which gets touchy sometimes. Cannot wait to put a scope on this thing in the coming months and sighting it in. I'm gonna try to open sight shoot it here soon and will update as to how it shoots.
Old January 11, 2011, 11:34 PM   #3
FrontierGander

if you think BP removal tool is nice, check out the new plugs they put on muzzle loaders.

Only tools needed for this are your thumb and index finger.
Old January 12, 2011, 08:06 AM   #4
tynimiller

Oh believe me I know. accelerator breech plugs and price is what made me look at CVA's line long and hard, but when I saw the Impact for cheap I jumped at it! So fast to remove the breech plug even if it is with small singe tool it doesn't make a huge difference, besides don't plan on ever having to remove breech plug in an insain hurry anyways.

I tried this morning, and could actually remove the plug with my fingers, however there was no way I'd want to do it all the time as it is a little more resessed in than my fingers liked.
Old January 12, 2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Doyle

Just because that breech plug doesn't have a wrench doesn't mean that it will always be easy to open. It will help if you use a tiny (and I do mean tiny) amount of anti-sieze lubricant on the threads. The stuff made for spark plugs works great. Clean the threads really well after shooting. I store my muzzleloader with the breech plug out .
Old January 12, 2011, 09:13 AM   #6
tynimiller

Doyle,

Words of wisdom spoken well. I too used some super lube, ordered a large tube while on sale at cabelas with free shipping! That was the first thing I did when I took the impact out of the box, put some of that anit-seize super lube on and twisted it back into place...once I start shooting it I will also store it with breech plug out too. Gonna clean barrel insides tonight as a little bit of just storage build up looks present, nothing a little cleaning then some bore butter won't solve.

Got an assortment of bullets I'm going to try. The top two choices I got are the T/C super glides in 245gr, and then the low drag hornady sabots in the same grain. Will let you guys know how it goes.

More than likely going to go affordable but very effective with the scope and get a simmons Pro Diamond scope...but that my friends will be with tax return money so few weeks away from that.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:59 PM   #7
jh9x18ky

I have one of the new Impact rifles..... and I like it very well. Only problem I had with mine, it shot about 8 in high at 50 yds, with the rear sight out of adjustment. TC offered to take it in and check it out, but instead of shipping it back, I talked to the folks at WIlliams Gun Sight, and they sold me a new taller front sight. Now its about 2 in high at 50 yds, I can live with that. I also used anti sieze on the breech plug, and do a good cleaning with Windex and soapy water after each shooting session. Mine is accurate with about anything I shoot, round ball, 240 gr sabots, or Powerbelts.
Old January 12, 2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Doyle

My favorite bullets are the Hornady 250grn SST's with the low-drag sabots. I like the better ballistic co-efficient of the SST's. BTW, those Hornady bullets are the exact same as the T/C Shockwaves but with a different colored plastic tip. Hornady makes the Shockwaves for T/C. The only functional difference is the price. The Hornadys cost about half of what the Shockwaves cost.
Old January 13, 2011, 08:50 AM   #9
tynimiller

Doyle, really?! That's hilarious, wasted money I guess. I'm curious to see what the super glide sabots do though. I did some research though and while I believe you they are the same bullets, they advertise slightly different muzzle velocity on their packages....but that could simply be a way to cover up the fact they're the same.

Also considering shooting some Barnes sabots as well.

On a side note any recommendations for scopes? I'm not spending a ton here fellas, best low budget scope. Looking at Simmons ProDiamond or Prohunter but curious if anyone has found any budget friendly killer scopes. I love my BSA scope on my .22 and one of my shotguns but they get dogged alot here so I'm curious.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:00 AM   #10
Charles Ellis

You might want to look at a Weaver scope.I have always had good luck with their products.They make a 1-3x variable that should work well on muzzle loaders.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:14 AM   #11
Doyle

Forget about using a BSA scope on a ML. They can't handle the recoil. My T/C wears a Leupold VX-I 2-7. I like it because the scope only weighs 10.5 oz, therefore it doesn't affect the balance of the rifle.
Old January 14, 2011, 09:50 AM   #12
tynimiller

Have decided on what series of scopes I think. I'm looking hard at Simmons Master Series... this scope in particular:

Simmons® Master Series™ 6 - 18 x 50 mm A / O ProSport™ Truplex™ Reticle Scope @ http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=355622

Thoughts? That is the highest magnification one they make, but have given thought to getting the 3-9x40 but price isn't very different.
Old January 14, 2011, 11:44 AM   #13
Doyle

The LAST thing you want to put on a ML is a super-high magnification scope. You are looking at a maximum range of only about 250 yds so a low-powered scope serves you much better.

As to Simmons, do some searching and you will find their quality fair at best. The only Simmons scope I would ever consider buying is the Aetec. Everything else just doesn't hold up.
Old January 14, 2011, 11:55 AM   #14
arcticap

The length isn't listed but it's probably a larger, heavier scope, especially with the large 50mm adjustable objective lens.
I recently bought a similar Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20X50 A.O.. If I put it on a heavy barrel .308 it might really need a bipod. Or maybe I'll put it on a benchrest .22 LR for precision shooting at very small target dots.
If you're hunting long range then maybe the Simmons would be useful.
However when I recently bought a used Ruger M77 .308, it came with a 3-9X32 compact already mounted on it by the previous owner.
It's mostly about how much weight you want to carry for the intended purpose, and how high the scope will need to be mounted and whether that will be comfortable or not.
The front bell of a 40mm A.O. is even larger than a 40mm non-A.O. which can affect the scope mounting height.
And the length of the Simmons scope isn't listed which is a good thing to know [Check the Simmons website]. If the eye relief shrinks as the magnification is increased then that may not be as desirable either. The add states 3.75" eye relief which isn't too bad, but does it shrink?
BTW, the Simmons that I bought gets 4-5 stars from everyone because it regularly goes on clearance for about the same price as yours and has a pretty clear field of view, and it holds zero. But the field of view still isn't perfect, it has some distortion around the edges, and may need some A.O. adjustment in the field at higher magnification. There's probably better all round scopes for muzzle loading. Even a 4-12X40 A.O. would have plenty to offer.

Last edited by arcticap; January 15, 2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old January 14, 2011, 12:08 PM   #15
tynimiller

very true stated by all, not considering the high powered one anymore...looking elsewhere. As articap said though Simmons keep getting good reviews from majority of folks so I may still consider them but at a lesser maginifcation. Thanks fellas
Old January 14, 2011, 02:40 PM   #16
FrontierGander

every simmons product i ever had, has done nothing but fog up on a hunt. I marked them on the crap list long ago.
Old January 20, 2011, 10:57 AM   #17
tynimiller

Haven't fully decided which one yet, but decided I'm going to save some side cash before next season and buy a higher dollar scope just so I know I'm carrying a sweet piece into the field, and can leave shotgun in the house.
Old January 20, 2011, 10:58 AM   #18
tynimiller

Also cleaned up the T/C Impact last night yet again...I'm kinda addicted to cleaning my guns anymore...weather/life haven't co-operated for shooting it yet, but will post review and pics if possible.