The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2002, 11:45 PM   #1
Drjones

Slug recoil???

Hi. Shot some 1oz. 1600 fps 2 3/4 in. slugs through my 12ga. moss. pump the other day.

OUCH.

PLEASE don't tell me that 00 Buck and other loads kick as badly as those did!!!

Drjones
Old August 11, 2002, 12:02 AM   #2
Battler

Nope. The buckshot kicks less, and "differently", if that means anything.
Old August 11, 2002, 04:28 AM   #3
IanS

Yep, 00 Buck does kick less than any rifled slugs or saboted slugs I've ever shot out of my 870. I feel the recoil is much sharper and quicker with slugs. (For accuracy, rifled slugs is preferable for smooth bore or improved cylinders)

If the normally aspirated 00 Buck is still too much try Federal's Reduced Recoil 00 Buck. Supposedly it bucks less than regular, although personally I can't tell much of a difference. They are also considered just as effective as "normal" 00 Buck. For defense #4 Shot is a good choice as well.
Old August 11, 2002, 08:44 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Doc, heavy loads in lighter shotguns do that. If I fired off a 1 1/4 oz Brenekke in a 6 lb shotgun, it'd hurt more than an oz load in a heavier gun.

A well kept secret,lots of folks into "Serious" shotgunning add those mag extensions, side saddles, lights, fuzzy dice and fender skirts to take the sting out, not to optimize the weapon.

My 9 lb plus HD 870 doesn't kick hard with anything. The 20 gauge 870 YE I got for the kids is vicious with oz loads.

Old threads here on cutting kick, wearable recoil pads, proper bench nethods,etc, can help you have more fun and less pain.

HTH....
Old August 11, 2002, 10:23 AM   #5
HSMITH

"A well kept secret,lots of folks into "Serious" shotgunning add those mag extensions, side saddles, lights, fuzzy dice and fender skirts to take the sting out, not to optimize the weapon."

LMAO!!!!!!!! Dice and fender skirts are about what some of these "serious" shotguns look like! That is great!!!
Old August 11, 2002, 11:17 AM   #6
9mmMike

You might try those Federal Reduced Recoil Slugs. They are very easy shooters out of my 870. I am not a heavy recoil fan and I found the Federal Reduced Recoil 00 buck & slugs to be terrific.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old August 11, 2002, 12:42 PM   #7
Battler

Another thing that takes the sting out of slugs is shooting them in a heavy gas auto gun.
Old August 12, 2002, 02:53 PM   #8
popnokick

Yeah, slugs seem to have the most kick. Makes sense from a physics standpoint - you're putting a lot more weight (slug) into motion rapidly. However... I was totally surprised by how accurate slugs are in my 870 HD (18" barrel). Like a rifle, even with only a front bead sight and at 50 feet or farther at the range. Now I understand why you can... in fact are required in some states... take deer with a shotgun.
Old August 12, 2002, 03:07 PM   #9
dfaugh

Depends

the 3" magnum S&B 00 buck (15 pellets!) kick more than anything else I've ever shot...I'm not very recoil sensitive, and these things HURT

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old August 12, 2002, 04:09 PM   #10
Drjones

I'm confused...Do the fuzzy dice dangle from the trigger guard, or the end of the barrel?

How tactical-looking are they? Do they come in black or camo???

Drjones
Old August 12, 2002, 09:25 PM   #11
Ron L

Quote:
I'm confused...Do the fuzzy dice dangle from the trigger guard, or the end of the barrel?
Neither. They attach to the front sling swivel with a tactical swivel snap release. And of course they come in tactical black with tritium insert dots for use in low-light conditions.

For a question, could the possibility that a shot column compresses slightly make the recoil less? Or is it the difference between a slug w/o wad versus a shot column with a wad? I've shot my Winchester semi with everything from light target or field loads to slugs and even with the gas action, you know that you've just sent a pumpkin out of the muzzle. It's not that bad, just much more noticeable.

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."
Old August 12, 2002, 09:39 PM   #12
Zorro

Try 2 Ounce Turkey Loads!

After it knocks you on your butt! the slugs and 375 H&H Magnum don't kick at all!
Old August 12, 2002, 09:44 PM   #13
Battler

Would this be as senseless and painful as somehow making a double fire both barrels at once?
Old August 12, 2002, 09:49 PM   #14
Mannlicher

Those slugs do tend to hurt the shoulder. Recoil in ft pounds of energy would be the same though, regardless of the type of projectile. The same weight of buckshot would kick the same as a slug if the gun weight, muzzle velocity, and ejecta weight remained the same.

felt recoil on the other hand is subject to so many variables, that it is pretty hard to calculate as an absolute.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 13, 2002, 06:39 AM   #15
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Ron, good idea but I've shot a lot of Brenneke slugs and can't tell the difference. Brennekes have the wadding attached to the base of the slug.
Old August 13, 2002, 02:29 PM   #16
twix

Funny You Should Ask

I JUST got back from the range where I shot 1oz slugs out of my 21"870, 5 each at 25, 50 and 100 yards. OUCH! But, all 5 at each range landed on the IPSC (upper torso)target. Standing, not benched. And I can't guarantee I wasn't closing my eyes after the first shot. Hmmm. 9mmmike, if those reduced recoil ones are signifigantly better, I want to try them. Meanwhile, wear do I get some of those tactical fuzzy dice?
Old August 13, 2002, 03:05 PM   #17
Andrew Wyatt

Does your shotgun fit well? my mossberg used to actually hurt me when i fired een light loads with it before i made it fit me by chopping an inch and a half off the stock and inserted a piece of neoprene on top of the comb.

another thing you might want to do if your shotgun has a hollow stock is put some weight in it, like a snack sized siplock with small lead shot in it taped securely to the bottom.

I don't have too much stuff hanging off my gun, but i do have a butt cuff with five rounds of slug on it, mossberg factory ghostring sights, a sling and a sling ring. it probably weighs 7 and a half, unloaded. i'll have to weigh it.
Old August 13, 2002, 03:57 PM   #18
johnbt

I agree with Zorro. Get a little box of the 3" turkey loads with 2 ounces of shot. Shoot one or two off the bench with a light gun and then give the rest to a 'friend'. Your regular ammo will never bother you again.

This was the load that convinced me to hand fit a Pachmayr Decelerator pad to my 870 Express Magnum.

John