The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 14, 2015, 01:04 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Jig for making percussion caps

I would like to buy or make a jig for pressing my own caps. Can't find a source (because I think they are out of production.) Can't find plans.

Can anyone advise?
Old September 14, 2015, 01:14 PM   #2
BlackPowderBen

There is a capmaker you can buy, but the caps will be #11 size, maybe a little bigger.
Brush hippie has videos on this, google - how to make percussion caps brush hippie
he has a tool that someone made for him, and they cost $55 shipped

There is another video on how to make your own cap jig, google - how to make percussion caps mannyca.
He made one with a lathe
Good Luck!
Old September 14, 2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Thanks Ben

It was manny's video that got me thinking.

I'd make one if I had the plans.
Old September 14, 2015, 02:41 PM   #4
ofitg

Doc, check out IDZ's plans in this Castboolits thread -

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ercussion-caps
Old September 14, 2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

PERFECT!

Tnx,
Old September 15, 2015, 01:37 AM   #6
gyvel

The cap making process is very simple: Just a homemade hand operated press, some thin copper sheet, etc.

I would think the actual priming compound is the complicated part.
SIFE
Old September 15, 2015, 05:26 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

All of the stuff on the internet that I have seen...

...makes use of roll caps. Mannyca's video had 100% reliability.

He advised against rollcaps from china as they have poor reliability in this application. He recommends "Legends" stating that they are made in Germany. He implied they can be purchased from Walmart.

That sentiment (avoid Chinese) is echoed elsewhere.
Old April 28, 2016, 09:15 AM   #8
BlackPowderBen

This is a old thread, but did you ever make a cap maker Doc? I bought one a few months back and it works good, though kinda tedious. They shot well though. I made a video shooting them with my navy. Something went on my loading lever while I was shooting, that's why it keeps dropping during the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paLhyzQabsE
Old April 28, 2016, 10:38 AM   #9
maillemaker

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Legends-2-...-Caps/17300820

Steve
Old April 28, 2016, 10:09 PM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
I would think the actual priming compound is the complicated part.
Not really. The product below has been tried and said to be the best for the purpose.

http://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.my...iming-compound
Old April 29, 2016, 04:36 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

To BPB

No sir...I did not.

I got away from it and didn't follow through.

To me, cost is important but it is not the only reason I get myself interested is such a project. I think the best part is the fun of doing it.

I have come up with some really wacky stuff (and by "wacky" I mean impractical, inappropriate, wrong size, wrong shape, stupid function........) over the years, but the learning and the fun sustains me in my curmudgeonliness
Old April 30, 2016, 09:13 PM   #12
OutlawJoseyWales

Which would make the first time I've seen the word "curmudgeonliness" used on the interwebs.
Old April 30, 2016, 10:12 PM   #13
BlackPowderBen

I hear ya Doc, it would have been fun to make the cap maker, but I don't know much about lathes
Old May 3, 2016, 09:55 AM   #14
maillemaker

I wonder what the ingredients are for that priming compound. Works out to about $.03 per primer, just for the compound. Percussion caps are about $.10 each currently.

Steve
Old May 3, 2016, 02:59 PM   #15
ofitg

Quote:
I wonder what the ingredients are for that priming compound. Works out to about $.03 per primer, just for the compound. Percussion caps are about $.10 each currently.
A fellow who bought one of those kits gave me this description - the kit contains four substances, packaged in four plastic bags - one bag of grey/black powder labeled "L", one bag of white powder labeled "L2", one bag of yellow powder labeled "S", one bag of off-white granules labeled "S". The kit also contained a double-ended dipper, one dipper being about 50% bigger than the other dipper.
Instructions for mixing - two large scoops of "L2", one large scoop of "L", one small scoop of "S" (yellow powder), and one small scoop of "S" (off-white granules).

Based on that description, I came up with the following proportions, based on VOLUME -

46% L2
23% L
15% S
15% S

This seems suspiciously similar to the old H-48 primer mixture (these proportions by WEIGHT) -

49.6% Potassium Chlorate
25.1% Antimony Sulfide
8.7% Sulfur
16.6% Ground Glass

Potassium Chlorate is white, Antimony Sulfide is grey/black, Sulfur is yellow, and ground glass "could be" off-white.
I would guess that it's a close variant of the H-48 formula -

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...ixtures.58110/
Old May 4, 2016, 04:46 AM   #16
drobs

I wonder if I can't find a Chinese company to bang out some un-primed #10 & #11 percussion caps. Should have no problem with Itar or importing them as they will have no priming compound in them.

Might have to give my buddy (former supplier years ago) a call that owns a sheet metal shop w/ brake presses. See if it's feasible afordable to stamp out un-primed caps.

Last edited by drobs; May 4, 2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:29 AM   #17
ofitg

Drobs, the last I heard, a couple different guys were making/selling hand tools for punching out the hulls - MannyCA on the Castboolits forum, and Kevin (aka Capmaker) on the Gunslingersgulch forum.

As Maillemaker hinted, buying the potassium chlorate, antimony sulfide, sulfur, etc, from a chemicals retailer is more economical than buying that primer kit.

Be advised, though, making caps is rather tedious and time-consuming. It's nice to have that capability, but if commercial caps are selling for $10 per 100, and it takes you one hour to make 100 DIY caps, you are essentially working for minimum wage.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:29 PM   #18
maillemaker

If you could get the caps stamped out in bulk from a third-world supplier (consider India also), and you could make a machine that filled 1000 caps at a time - ordnance manuals talk about this - you'd have a tray you'd shake the caps over until they fell into the holes, then the tray would move under droppers that would drop in the proper amount of priming material, and then they would be pressed en mass. You might be able to make them relatively quickly and easily.

But, dealing with a contact explosive could be tricky!

Steve
Old May 4, 2016, 02:14 PM   #19
BlackPowderBen

I have Kevins press. Mannyca doesn't make them anymore, though he might have some spare ones he could sell you. What people do is they take a paint mixing stick and drill holes so you can put the umprimed caps in them so you can fill each one. I need to give that a try. I will agree that it is tedious, but it is rewarding to shoot your own caps, powder, and ball
Old May 4, 2016, 02:39 PM   #20
Hawg

I tried some of these with Pyrodex RS a few years ago and they fired 2-3 chambers out of six. I thought they would be reliable with Swiss 3F but nooo, they wouldn't even fire one chamber. I may have to try double charging or triple charging a few. Or maybe putting a lil 3F in but not sure what to seal it with.

Old May 8, 2016, 03:27 PM   #21
brotherg

Great thread. I made some stuff called Armstrong's mixture. It is made from strike on box matches. Do not make this stuff if you can not follow directions. If done right it is safe enough. You just can not mill the components together and must mix them carefully. Very small batches and PPE are also wise. I do not have a cap making machine so I have not tried them on a gun, but it does make quite a bang. It is obviously shock sensitive so careful storage of all these things is a given.

I will try and collect some empty caps next shoot and experiment a little. Need a cap maker.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:45 PM   #22
drobs

Regarding the re-priming kit:
http://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.my...ollections/all

Here are the directions for the Sharpshooter 22LR reloading kit:
http://amgsporting.com/22lr-reloader/

They use an eye dropper of acetone for wetting the re-priming compound. According to the above link water or vodka will also work.

I wonder if a drop of super glue after the compound fully dries would lock it in there.

Edit there are a couple youtube videos out there on reloading 22LR using the above kit. Haven't seen one yet on the re-priming compound.
Old May 9, 2016, 12:38 AM   #23
ofitg

Quote:
I will try and collect some empty caps next shoot and experiment a little. Need a cap maker.
Brotherg, if you only want to make a few caps to experiment with, a guy named "Raa-7" on The High Road forum came up with a neat idea - it's not as quick as a regular capmaker tool, but it works -

First you punch out a 1/2" disc from thin metal (a leather punch will work). I used the soft sheet aluminum from a disposable pie pan (the aluminum from a beer can was too stiff). Then you cut four radial slits in the disc (I used my wife's cuticle nippers) -

I used a 0.157" diameter steel rod to push this disc through the "Raa-7" homemade die. The die is simply a quarter-inch-thick slab of aluminum with a 0.185" hole (#13 wire gauge bit) drilled through it - the hole is beveled on the top side -

The resulting cap fits nicely on the nipples of my Uberti revolver.
Old May 9, 2016, 01:36 AM   #24
ofitg

Drobs, here's a video of a guy making percussion caps with that primer kit -

https://youtu.be/6xYt-VJCu4s

He uses hairspray to "glue" the primer charge into the hulls.
Old May 9, 2016, 02:13 AM   #25
drobs

Thanks!

When I was building AK's from kits in my basement, one of the tools I bought was a bolt cutter rivet forming tool.

Example:

Thinking we could make a head on bolt cutter that would form and cut out 3 or 4 caps at time.

Or... apply AK receiver forming jigs to cap making...
Make a jig that stamps out 20+ caps at a time. All you need is hydraulic shop press...

I re-connected with my Sheet Metal guy - just have to get him on the phone.

Last edited by drobs; May 9, 2016 at 03:11 AM.