The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2008, 08:50 PM   #1
imq707s

Anyone else have problems with Lyman spray case lube?

I decided to try something new instead of my tried and true Lee case lube in a tube. I bought a can of spray lube from Lyman. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this stuff just doesn't seem to work.

I followed the directions, sprayed down 20 pieces of .223 brass, but it's just not acting like it's providing much lubrication for the brass. On a few cases, I though there were going to get stuck in the die.

What am I doing wrong? The stuff just doesn't seem like it ever wants to dry.

Anyone else had bad luck with the Lyman spray lube? The Lee lube works great!!!
Old November 21, 2008, 10:47 PM   #2
Loader9

I gave up on the spray lubes. I use only Imperial Sizing wax. I just get it on my fingers and rub it on as I pick the brass up to resize them. A small can, a little smaller than a Skoal can, will last you several thousand rounds. I'm getting close to 10,000 rounds of 223 from a can and it's far, far cheaper too.
Old November 21, 2008, 10:53 PM   #3
44Magnum

Are you letting the brass sit for about five minutes before you start to size the cases?
Old November 22, 2008, 01:35 AM   #4
tom234

I've never had a problem using Dillon spray lube. I'll bet Lyman's lube is about the same. Lots better than the RCSB lube pad......
Old November 22, 2008, 09:40 AM   #5
glazerguy333

lube

I like to set my cases up in a old plastic pencil case then spray them down close the lid and shake it that gets it all over then i run them never had a problem at all and i use the lyman lube you just got to remember you get to little they will stick ya get to much they will dent
Old November 22, 2008, 10:05 AM   #6
ac700wildcat

Did you clean all the old lube out of your dies before changing to the lyman lube? You are supposed to do that and then spray a bit of the lyman lube in the die and let it dry before you start sizing.
Old November 22, 2008, 10:57 AM   #7
jhansman

Tried 'em all (including the sprays) and once I found Imperial Sizing Wax, that was that. I just processes 1K of Lake City .223 without one stuck case.
Old November 30, 2008, 10:11 PM   #8
dfrak

I've given up on the Lyman spray. I've tried it several times, several ways and on several calibers. I've also thought, more than once, that a case was going to stick in a die.
I like the idea of a spray lube, but after my experience with the Lyman product, I am a little leery.
Dan
Old November 30, 2008, 11:09 PM   #9
rn22723

Get some Imperial Die Wax and never look back!
Old December 3, 2008, 08:30 AM   #10
ozbornm

I am having nightmares with the lyman spray lube. As I am typing this I have 2 223 dies with stuck cases and 1 308 die with a stuck case in it. That is the worst stuff I have ever used. I did just as the instructions suggested. Spray and let sit for 30 seconds and its ready to go. BULL S#@T!!!!! Out of 50 223 cases the rim pulled off of 13 of them. I have checked the dies no sign of scratches, trash, old lube, or anything else to bind the cases.

OH BUT THIS IS THE NEW IMPROVED FORMULA.
Old December 3, 2008, 05:05 PM   #11
singlestack45

Loaded 1000 .308 and 4500 .223 with Lyman spray and Dillon spray this year. Not a single stuck case. Try using more lube.
Old December 3, 2008, 07:00 PM   #12
wncchester

I prefer Imperial or other waxes but I wonder how many of those having trouble with spray lubes fail to keep the contents shook up as they spray. And/or fail apply enough or allow the propellant to evaporate. ??

A case that's going to stick ALWAYS gives warning by being unsually difficult to work the press lever. When I get that biceps "feed back", I stop, withdraw the case and lube it again. Only time I've had a rim pull off in the last 20 years was when I ran an experiment on a wide range of subsitute lubes and expected them to pull off in some instances. Some did, some didn't, but I learned a lot about case lubes.

Would you believe that Chap-Stick works fine? So does some lipsticks, Kiwi shoe wax (any color, but Neutral - clear - is less messy!), Johnson's paste floor wax, Sno-Proof and Mink Oil boot treatment, some hand soaps. And STP oil treatment, but it's as messy as lipstick! Few other auto lubes worked very well, got to use my puller a lot with them!.

My point is, case lubes aren't magic but some things work well and others don't. But they ALL need to cover the case sufficently, includig the sprays.
Old December 3, 2008, 07:07 PM   #13
CowTowner

I got to throw my 2 cents worth in for Hornaday One Shot spray.
Never had a case stick for .303 Brit or 7mm WSM.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy