The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2002, 10:43 AM   #1
riverdog

Older Rem 870 Wingmaster

Found an older 870 Wingmaster in a shop recently. Looks like a 30" full choke barrel with 2 3/4" chamber. The gun is clean and the wood is in very good condition. They're asking $225.

I have a like new 30" barrel from my current 870 with 3" chamber. Would this fit on this older gun or is the receiver not set up for 3" magnum rounds? TIA
Old December 22, 2002, 12:37 PM   #2
gordo b.

It fits but wont cycle 3" shells.An EXPRESS 870 wont properly fit wingmaster.
Old December 22, 2002, 01:11 PM   #3
riverdog

Thanks. I thought there was something different besides the chamber. My current 870 is a Wingmaster also (from '81), but it's currently set up with a 20" slug barrel. Its original 30" barrel is in storage.

This older one is nice though. I just need a better reason to buy it.
Old December 22, 2002, 01:24 PM   #4
HSMITH

The express barrel will fit the WM fine, it just won't let you shoot 3" shells. You need a magnum reciever for 3" capability.

I would snap the old one up for $225 if it is in nice condition.
Old December 22, 2002, 02:32 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

$225 for an immaculate WM, fixed choke 30" bbl, very good price. Some small wear and dings, still a good deal.I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

As far as a better reason goes, heck, cuzIwanna is good enough for me...

For 3" shells, BOTH the bbl and receiver have to be 3" compatible. Many Magnum receivers have serial numbers ending with M. Bbls should say what the proper size is.

Keep in mind that you can pull a McC and get an 870 setup for any possible mission, and still have less money invested than in a mid grade Beretta O/U. My 5 probably cost less than $1500 in current currency.

HTH....
Old December 22, 2002, 04:57 PM   #6
riverdog

Dave,
You're absolutely right, what was I thinking. I rarely shoot 3" rounds so that really isn't an issue. $225 is a good price so I may have to buy one more long-gun this year
Old December 22, 2002, 07:22 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

3" shells are for turkey and waterfowl loads, not GP. Aa shooter with a 2 3/4" 870 is under little disadvantage for general shooting.

Get it,I doubt you'll ever regret the decision.
Old December 23, 2002, 04:28 PM   #8
riverdog

Bought it.

On second look it was just as nice as my first impression. This one has a second bead about halfway the barrel. Could that have been stock? I like it, but my other 870 has only the single bead at the muzzle. Thanks for talking me into it Dave. Where will you be hanging out once TFL closes?
Old December 23, 2002, 05:35 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Middle beads are found on 870 trap and skeet bbls,Riverdog. Check and see if there's anything on the receiver like TB, TC, or Grand American. Field bbls of the period only had single beads, TTBOMK.

As often as 870 bbls get swapped(You were thinking of doing this yourself), this might be one of the vaunted older trap bbls. You may want to have your smith mike it, the TCs were sometimes overbored.

It's certain that the bbl on my TB isn't original.The date stamps don't match the dates TBs were made. The bbl mikes .733", an overbore that fits into the TC's specs.

SOme old time trapshooters would buy both a TB and TC, swap the bbls and sell off the TC receiver with the standard sized TB bbl on it. I may have the one some slickster kept. It showed little wear when I got it, so the fact the bbl may not be original isn't a factor in value.

As for my next Base of Operations, check Oleg's thread on the General Discussion Forum...

HTH, and enjoy your Xmas present....

Last edited by Dave McC; December 23, 2002 at 06:26 PM.
Old December 23, 2002, 06:08 PM   #10
riverdog

Dave,
Thanks for the info, this may be a better present (buy) that I thought. Merry Christmas to you also.