The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 2, 2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Beretta686

Original SBR AR-15 caliber question

I have an SBR AR-15 that I registered on a Form 1 as a 9mm with a 7.5 inch barrel. Since then I've aquired other uppers of various calibers & lengths.

However with the current lack of affordable 9mm ammo (my original reason for getting a 9mm), I'm thinking for selling the upper, to get another suppressor.

Can I do this and have an SBR without the caliber and barrel lengths listed on my Form 1? Or will ATF yell at me?

P.S.- Please stick to the question rather than commenting on the legality of having multiple calibers not on the Form 1 or whether you can have multiple SBR uppers with only 1 SBR, etc, etc, etc. Thanks!

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old March 2, 2008, 05:17 PM   #2
VUPDblue

If you keep the 9mm upper and simply use another caliber most of the time, you really don't have to do anything. Now, if you go and sell the 9mm upper altogether, I'd contact the NFA branch and ammend your Form1, via a letter, with the information of the new upper. All that being said, the above steps are simply a CYOA, IMHO () I'd still contact the NFA branch if I were to sell the upper in the registered caliber and length.
Old March 2, 2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Hkmp5sd

From my understanding, you can make non-permanent changes to your NFA item without having the FORM 1/4 updated. As long as you can return the gun to its registered configuration, you are good to go.

As you are selling the upper you registered the SBR with, you can no longer return it to registered status. Gotta inform ATF to update your FORM 1.

NRA Life Member