The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 8, 2011, 08:22 AM   #1
velocette

Richards microfit gunstocks

I am planning to (again) re-stock my '17 Enfield.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ght=17+enfield
My intent is to correct all the mistakes I made when I first fitted and finished a sporter stock for the rifle, also significantly upgrading the quality of the wood to AA or AAA fancy. Richards seems to offer nice wood and styles like I am looking for.
Any of the wizards here have experience using Richards Microfit stocks? Quality? How close is the fit? (I intend to ask for their optional + 1/16" for glass bedding) Was the wood you got in line with the quality you ordered?

TIA
Roger
Old October 8, 2011, 09:14 AM   #2
JerryM

Some years ago I bought one, and restocked a Springfield. The wood was beautiful, and I liked the stock design. However, it took a lot of fitting, and needed some wood removed on the outside. I never got it just like I wanted it in regards to weight.

However, it was a great piece of wood, and design. If I had the skill to do the work I would not hesitate to get one.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 8, 2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Greg Mercurio

Maybe the best buy out there. I was passing through LA on business, made an appointment to stop in and selected my stock. Outstanding wood, great price, and expect to do some fitting and finishing. Be patient, the wood is worth the price of admission.
Old October 8, 2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Geezerbiker

Don't expect to get your stock any time soon. I ordered a stock from them that they said was in stock and ready to ship, a couple months later I still didn't have it. I couldn't get through to them to cancel the order so I filed a complaint with the card company to get my refund.

Their customer service is the worst. I wouldn't buy a stock from them unless I wasn't planning to work in the rifle for at a year.

Tony
Old October 8, 2011, 04:24 PM   #5
hoghunting

I ordered an unfinished stock with 95% inletting for a Sako. Since it was a special order as it wasn't a production stock, I was told it would take up to 3 months. The stock arrived in less than 3 weeks. It took some work, but what do you expect with an unfinished stock. Would buy from them again as it was much nicer wood than expected and had great service.
Old October 8, 2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Scorch

I have been buying from Richards for about 20-25 years. I order stocks from Richards all the time because I do stock work. I like their product, the wood is nice and a very good value for what you pay, and the inletting is pretty good generally. If you are going to get fancier wood, you can buy a second (which may have a few repaired checks and holes) for a few dollars less, but only in Claro walnut or maple IIRC. You can get Walnut, Claro walnut, black walnut, English walnut, maple, myrtlewood (only get this if you are good with wood and have sharp tools!!), or any of their laminates (I think they have about 16 colors available). I recently received an English Walnut AAA Old Classic, cost was about $400, and the wood is absolutely fantastic, much nicer than an English walnut blank a customer paid several times that much for. I ordered a stock just a couple weeks ago and lead time is currently 13 weeks (that seems about the norm for them)
Old October 9, 2011, 03:33 PM   #7
roberto mervicini

I got 1/2 dozen stocks from Richard, some laminated some fancy second, as some mention it take some time to arrive, I hunderstood since all special, but I was never disapointed, yes it require some fitting and they all turn out super.
I doo this as personal hobby for my son and myshelf.
_______
roberto
Old March 16, 2014, 07:08 PM   #8
jeff_howard59

Richards Microfit Stock

I just bought one and Helen said about 8-10 weeks. When I actually ordered it after a couple of weeks sending her pics of my rifle, it showed up on my doorstep in 5 weeks! I was very pleased and she informed me it would only be 95% inletted. Doesn't look like I will have as much work to do to get it finished!
Old March 18, 2014, 09:18 AM   #9
F. Guffey

I purchased two stocks from Richards Microfit, after receiving them I informed Richards Microfit I thought I could train wood peckers to do a better job.

F. Guffey
Old March 18, 2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Unlicensed Dremel

I've had one bad and multiple good from Richard's - to their credit, they gave a quick and full refund on the bad one which wasn't inletted right.