The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 8, 2012, 10:58 PM   #1
ronz

1887 Parker bros sxs more info/value

I picked up a parker bros dual hammer sxs 12g today made in 1887 twist barrel frame size 1 with ejector barrel weight 315 couldn’t find the grade mark but think it is a grade 1 has some engraving on hammers and top bottom and just an outline on sides not a lot or very ornate
patent dat of mar 16 &23 1875
stock has been refinished at some time removing 98% of the checkering (didn’t notice it had been checkered until I was taking pictures)
has some pitting and a couple of small dents in the barrel not planning on ever shooting it (yet) but looks like it would handle bp shells
Other marks couldn’t find out were circled t and a letter c on barrel
Was either in the right place at the right time or should have really done my homework first
What do you think it would be worth?

Old December 8, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2
ronz

more

Old December 9, 2012, 12:05 AM   #3
sgms

You need to find a real Parker expert and have them give it a good look over. With the potential for being a very high dollar gun the grading and valuation is very important. The refinishing issue alone could reduce the value from a small amount up to 60%.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:41 AM   #4
ronz

What’s the difference between twist and Damascus barrels?
Shouldn’t be so concerned about value but emptied the m1 Garand fund yet again
But on the bright side if I did pay too much wouldn’t have be worried about shooting it
So could shoot a round of trap using bp
Think it might be worth it to get the factory order?
Old December 10, 2012, 02:15 PM   #5
PetahW

Twist & damascus are almost the same thing, with damascus having different metals included for contrast.

I would advise against shooting that Parker, until a QUALIFIED doublegunsmith (not some AR parts-changer) has checked it out first as ok to shoot, even BP - since it's got buggered screw heads on the floorplate (at least), indicating that someone that didn't know what they were about has gotten into the internals and done God only knows what.

As far as "value" goes, the only value for a Parker hammergun is what a collector would pay for one, and I've yet to find a true Parker collector that would pay more than a pittance for one in less than primo original condition - mostly due to the BIG $$$ involved in a true restoration.

Old December 10, 2012, 09:02 PM   #6
jcronk

This is a lower grade Parker hammer gun. Agreed the value is set more by the buyer for less than "pristine" guns. This one does have a niche market collector attribute, being the fish-tail top lever. Most are straight. To get some really honest opinions, post your pictures and questions at the Parker Gun Collectors Association site
www.parkerguns.org