The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 12, 2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Bird3897

CZ VZ58??

Looking at a CZ VZ58 military at a gun shop. It feels really nice and is very light. I have read they have milled recievers and chrome lined barrels. I have also found aftermarket goodies for it as well. They want 840 for it used, is this a decent price or should I just keep shoping around? It is imported by TGI product 05050. SN is 580xxxxx I do like it better than the AKs though. Any info on this would be great.
Single Six
Old May 13, 2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Ignition Override

You might check the favorable evaluation by "Sturmgewehre" on YouTube.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Hairbag

I had one and I'm sorry I sold it. Pretty solid gun. I like the design and unlike a AK the bolt stays open when your mag is empty. Just make sure your getting the CZ and not a copy (VTECHNICK ?). AK mags wont work but there are plenty of VZ58 mags around. .I dont think CZ is making them anymore. The only problem with the VZ is the handguard can get pretty hot after a few rounds. $840 seems a little high unless he's throwing in mags etc. $700. -750? Then again I think the gun will go up in value. The finish is nice but the factory furniture is kinda cheesy

Last edited by Hairbag; May 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Bird3897

Everything I read about them is positive, they are super reliable and decently accurate. I am debating between this and just building an AR. The VZ is pretty cheap for a reliable piston style gun though and there is some nice furniture for it from:
http://www.zahal.org/products/pistol...a-vz-58-cz-858

I like the 7.62 round as it is very effective if need to be and not super expensive to shoot. Although I do want to reload for it and I think the brass cased ammo for this round is pretty expensive. Decisions, decisions.
Single Six
Old May 13, 2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Bird3897

Have also been looking at a mini 30 for a cheaper option if I opt out of the VZ-58. Also seen a nice PTR-91 in 7.62x39 but it seemed pretty heavy.
Single Six
Old May 13, 2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Hairbag

I would opt out on the mini 30 if you want to shoot cheap ammo. I was considering the mini 30 too but my buddy who owns one told me to foget it. The mini 30 does not function well with steel russian ammo. Primers are too hard on the russian ammo. He tried the wolff xtra power firing spring and still had problems. I hear problems with broken firing pins too with russian ammo. Dont get me wrong the mini 30 is a great gun but only if your using american ammo. If you want to shoot cheap russian ammo AK's sks etc are the way to go. The VZ58 will eat that suff up all day long with no problems. See if you talk that guy down a few$$ and grab that VZ58 You wont be sorry. You can always buy a mini later or a PTR the REAL tecknick VZ58 are getting VERY scarce and there is a reason for it. PEOPLE are not parting with them!

Last edited by Hairbag; May 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Bird3897

Are they really getting scarce? I see CZ-USA are selling them right now, although they are backed up at the moment.
Single Six
Old May 13, 2012, 11:40 AM   #8
CraCZ

The CZ 58 is now my favorite to take to the range, in fact I havent taken my AK's in awile. It is more fun to shoot and a lot more accurate with the 762x39 than the AK and a lot easier to clean. They started coming in the states I think around early 2007 and they have really gone up in price kinda like the sks when they first came in. Now the ones with cz barrels and recievers are going for around $800 plus but the ones with american made barrels and recievers with the evil features of a bayonet lug and threaded barrels and the original czech trigger group and internals are going for around $500, This rifle is called the CZ vz 2008 and is curently featured in the latest AK magazine. Where have I been? Ive only had my CZ 2008 for about six months and maybe one day Ill get the original CZ barrel and reciever one day but so far I love my cz 2008.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:48 AM   #9
noorked

D-technik makes the receivers that CZ-usa sold on their vz-58s. they are not copies. They are marked either "waffen werks", d-technik, TGI or czechpoint. The rifles CZ-usa sold were purchased from czechpoint usa. Czechpoint USA handles support for those rfles. The CZusa ones would have "cz-usa" on the box.

century vz2008 and ORF are copies..

They are milled with chrome lined barrels. I bought vz58 tactical sporter NIB from buds a month ago for 850. I did because there is a waiting list to get one from czechpoint. The mini 30 is not in the same league as the 58.
I like having the bolt hold open on last round.

Czechpoint usa is the point of contact for the D-technik brand in the US.
This won out over a piston AR for me. Been very pleased with choosing the 58
Old May 13, 2012, 12:53 PM   #10
mississaugagunnut

VZ 58 My favorite

Hello,
I have a VZ 58 in 7.62 and I love it. The design is very simple and there are very few moving parts. I have left it mostly stock except for an extended mag release, tactical bolt release and an aftermarket grip. I left the folding metal stock and use the iron sights.
This rifle is great. It has never had a malfunction and I shoot the dirtiest Russian surplus that I can find. Up here in Canada we are limited to magazines that are pinned to 5 rds. So I am pretty good at reloads.
I use this rifle in our local 3 gun matches and have a lot of fun for cheap.
In my opinion you can't go wrong with this rifle.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Bird3897

Ok, so are they all painted or are some blued? The one I'm looking at has the black paint and it's chipped in a few areas (not a big deal), but just wondering if they make them blued?
Single Six
Old May 13, 2012, 02:56 PM   #12
armoredman

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=67.0

Lotsa info there.

The SA vz-58 has been built/imported in this country under a few different names. Most important are the two major competitors right now Century and CzechpointUSA. I am not fond of Century, but in the interest of fairness a lot of people have reported being quite happy with their Century built vz-2008 clone. I, on the other hand, have the CzechpointUSA imported, CZ-USA sold D-Technik built SA vz-58.
Current configuration, with FAB/Zahal folding stock with rising cheek piece, FAb/Zahal ergonomic pistol grip, FAB/Zahal quad rail forearm with FAB/Zahal folding foregrip, Neit Arms extended bolt release, and Neit Arms extended ambidextrous mag release. Toss in a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot that is working very well, and it's a truly fun and reliable rifle, and using the Israeli patrol sling assists with longer range shooting. Ignore the fat guy shooting it...

D-Technik changed their name - they are now known as Czech Small Arms, or CSA in short. Look for the D-Technik or CSA logos on the receiver. CZ-USA never imported the SA vz-58 even though CZ-UB still lists the military configured full auto versions for sale in Europe. The previous poster was correct that the short termed importation was through CzechpointUSA. Dan at Czechpoint stands behind his product 100%, BTW, great guy and a great company.
The rifle itself is fantastic, lighter than a stamped AKM, and that is with a milled receiver. Mine will hit a man sized object at 200 yards with no magnification.

One of these days I am going to mount a real scope and see what happens.

I also have the latest and greatest from CzechpointUSA, the SA vz-58 in 5.56mm with AR magwell adapter.

So far this rifle is proving about 2MOA, which I am happy with from a rugged military style carbine with a 16 inch barrel, with irons sights. The scope pictured proved to be inadequate, and the replacement shipped from Optics Planet got so fouled up by their shipping department that I expect to see it next June. Then I will see just how good it does, and I expect it will do VERY well.

The black finish on the rifle is most likely paint over a better finish, contact Czechpoint, if it is their import, for details on how to fix it.

The only thing to watch for is home builds - the SA vz-58 is classified as a difficult build, and I've seen a few that are doozies of Bubba worksmanship. Yikes.

Short story, if it's D-Technik, go for it.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:24 PM   #13
triage1998

I love the vz.58. Milled receiver, lighter than a AK and more accurate.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Bird3897

To my surprise they had a new military version in the box in the back for the same price, so I had to lay it away. Can't wait to try it out. I post on it when I get it and try it out, will be awhile. Thanks for all your input.
Single Six
Old May 13, 2012, 06:55 PM   #15
armoredman

Go to czechpointUSA.com for LOTS of parts, extras and magazines. Nifty cool stuff in there!
Old May 14, 2012, 08:14 AM   #16
Bird3897

Thanks for heads up on accessories, very nice looking set up by the way!
Single Six
Old May 14, 2012, 03:06 PM   #17
Hairbag

All this CZ talk makes me want another one Kicking myself now!
Old May 14, 2012, 04:30 PM   #18
armoredman

Thank you!
Hairbag, they are still available...
Old May 14, 2012, 07:23 PM   #19
cannonfire

I they are two different systems but how is the reliability of a VZ58 compared to an AK? Or an AR? Does it need to be clean to run or will run dirty like an AK
Old May 14, 2012, 07:35 PM   #20
RichC

They run and run and run. I own two.

My son and his friends love shooting them. They are built like a tank with the milled receiver. They are more accurate than an AK and just as reliable in my experience. They stay open after the last round.

The two downsides... they don't use AK mags but there are plenty around. And they get HOT... VERY HOT, actually.

When I'm shooting them at the range I get lots of "What is that" kinds of questions. The next question is "Where can I buy one of these".

You'll have lots of fun for a very reasonable amount of money.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:36 PM   #21
Bird3897

It's really cool to hear all the positive things about this rifle.
Single Six
Old May 14, 2012, 09:09 PM   #22
noorked

Wait til you run 30 rounds through it. Feels like an endless magazine. I've put close to a thousand rounds through mine without issue. I have added a NEA rail system that allows for a bottom 1/3 co-witness with a primary arms microdot . That setup helps with cooling and also for the accuracy of the rifle to really shine.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:44 PM   #23
Hairbag

I'm looking now on Buds. they have the tactical model I don't care much for the stock on the tactical but i guess i can swap it out for a nice birch wood stock that would be nice
Old May 14, 2012, 11:10 PM   #24
armoredman

I had some fun with new friends shooting mine at a meet and greet last month.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:09 PM   #25
Bird3897

Any of that Yugo 7.62 brass cased ammo going to be available again? Everyone seems to be out of stock.
Single Six