The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 22, 2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Tenshi

single point vs. 2 point sling

So I'm about to buy a new sling for my 20" Mossberg 590-A1 and I'm up in the air on whether to get a single point sling or a 2 point sling. What type do you guys use and what do you like/not like about it. If you've used both types, give me some pros and cons of each type.
Old February 22, 2010, 02:29 PM   #2
glazer1972

Two Point.
Old February 22, 2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Lavid2002

2 point...just do it you'll see
Old February 22, 2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Tenshi

What are your thoughts on the bungee type 2 point slings... better or worse than a standard type?
Old February 22, 2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Big_T

Intended Usage?

If you're using the shotgun primarily as a primary tactical piece then my vote is for single point. The gun is in your hands anyway and if you have to drop it quick for whatever reason it's still on you, right up front or at the strong side.

If you're tromping through the woods looking for dinner, then the standard two point sling will serve you well.

The Third Way: 3 point sling. Best of both worlds since you can put it around your body for tactical use, or over the shoulder for more pedestrian pursuits.

_________
The only weapon is the human mind. Caliber varies.

Last edited by Big_T; February 25, 2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Because I'm a moron who can neither spell or proofread
Old February 22, 2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Incognito

Quote:
The Third Way: 3 point sling. Best of both worlds since you can put it around your body for tactical use, or over the shoulder for more pedestrian pursuits.
+ 1
Old February 23, 2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Tenshi

I think I'm probably going to go with 2 point. I don't own any pistols yet so I won't be dropping the shotgun to take out a secondary weapon yet and I'd rather have the option of setting aside the shotgun quickly without it being tethered to me so to speak. I also think that I like the stability of a 2 poing sling a little better. 3 point sling isn't an option. Too many straps to get in the way for my taste.

My only question now is if I should get a standard type 2 point sling or a bungee type. I've never had any experience with the bungee type so I don't know what its going feel like.
Old February 24, 2010, 09:26 AM   #8
Tenshi

anyone...?
Old February 24, 2010, 06:08 PM   #9
Kmar40

Single point suck and aren't particularly good at anything. Preferred by mall ninjas and eschewed by real tactical teams. If you are moving at all (and you SHOULD be, especially if you are transitioning due to a long gun stoppage), you'll see why a one point SUCKS.

Two or three point all the way. Personally I prefer a 2 point especially for urban work. Why? It holds the weapon tighter to my body. Important when you are negotiating tight areas. The downside is it holds the weapon tighter to the body and can make it difficult to transition to the support side or in other positions.

Here's is a summary of the pro's and con's: http://demigodllc.com/articles/tactical-slings/?p=1(I just skimmed that.)

Instructions for make a 3 point. (Could easily be used as a 2 point.) http://theprepared.com/index.php?opt...=106&Itemid=55

Quote:
My only question now is if I should get a standard type 2 point sling or a bungee type. I've never had any experience with the bungee type so I don't know what its going feel like.
The answer to a question no one is asking. I'm not even sure what the bungy type is supposed to allow me to do better. Muzzle strokes? No thanks.

Last edited by Kmar40; February 24, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old February 24, 2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Tenshi

according the the various makers... the bungee type is supposed to be more comfortable... can't even find any written reviews online. Only thing I found is this one video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIB-aWhoO48

edit: btw, the only viable advantage I see to a bungee type sling is that it would tighten up when the sling wasn't around you so there wouldn't be excess sling hanging down that could get in the way should you choose to shoot without wearing the sling.
Old February 24, 2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Kmar40

Not worth the hassle or extra price, IMO.
Old February 25, 2010, 01:30 AM   #12
Scattergun Bob

Tenshi

Quote:
the bungee type is supposed to be more comfortable... can't even find any written reviews online. Only thing I found is this one video review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIB-aWhoO48
edit: btw, the only viable advantage I see to a bungee type sling is that it would tighten up when the sling wasn't around you so there wouldn't be excess sling hanging down that could get in the way should you choose to shoot without wearing the sling.
Royal Arms makes the finest of the bungee type slings. For their stated purpose keeping the scatterguns close to your body and out of the way, they are superb. Most times they are used by TAC officers to keep door breaching guns out of the way when not in use. Here is the web site for the sling. http://www.royalarms.com/

Good Luck & Stay Safe
Old February 25, 2010, 05:43 AM   #13
spyderdude

I tried using a single point sling on an AR15.... then I tried using the Viking Tactics two point quick adjust padded sling.

I will never go back to a single point sling unless I can convert it to a two point.
Old February 25, 2010, 08:49 AM   #14
Tenshi

Thanks for all of the advice... I'm definitely going with a 2 point after hearing all of the disadvantages of a 1 point. Still not sure on whether I want a bungeed one or not, if anyone has tried one and can compare, let me know. I'll study into it a little more and see what people think of them.
Old February 25, 2010, 09:29 AM   #15
Tenshi

@scattergun bob: I checked out that link. The only thing that I don't like about that sling is that it appears to be non-adjustable with the company recommending to put a knot in the sling to shorten it... don't think I like that... here's the one I'm looking at right now and thinking about getting:

2 point adjustable bungee sling with quick release buckles and elastic covers that keep the hooks from making noise or hitting your gun.

edit: forgot to mention that it can be converted from 2 point to single point as well.
Old February 26, 2010, 09:23 AM   #16
Scattergun Bob

Tenshi

A trick for bungee slings is to use black cable ties to shorten the overall length if necessary.

As far as the sling you posted, looks fairly tacti-cool , an issue is the QD plastic buckles. I have never trusted such devices after have a couple fail during classes and damage the muzzles on a couple of our guns. Beyond that it looks like a workable sling.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; February 26, 2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old February 26, 2010, 09:40 AM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I prefer the "No Point" sling system usually. I just tote the bugger in my cookie snatchers.

Only time I need a sling is when I am hitting the woods and will likely cross creeks on fallen trees and then I prefer a standard 2 point huntin' sling. A single point would have it dangling and swinging and banging into the tree trunk I am shimmying across.
Brent
Old February 26, 2010, 11:37 AM   #18
output

I think the bungee slings are advantageous because they stretch. Since they stretch they are little easier to manipulate, especially if you have not spent a considerable amount of time training with them or building some kind of muscle memory. The stretching might also be a disadvantage too depending on use. I am in no way a tactical guru but I would go with the bungee sling…and probably one that I could adjust without having to tie a knot in it. I also assumed this was going to be used on a tactical shotgun…otherwise I would not go with a bungee setup.