The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 11, 2009, 08:42 AM   #1
Jayhawkhuntclub

1895 Marlin trigger question

I did some work on my 1895 and am happy with the trigger that is now at 2.75 lbs. I have one question though. I lightened up the trigger spring quite a bit. The trigger still returns to the spot it's supposed to every time, but it is about 1/4 the power of my stock 1894. I assume as long as the trigger returns when uncocked and the trigger is not too light, I'm okay. Am I right? Thanks.
Old February 12, 2009, 12:48 AM   #2
hoghunting

You'll find out when you fire it. If you have misfires with dented primers, your spring is too weak. If it is only 1/4 the strength of the 1894 spring, I wouldn't be surprised if your spring is too weak. The good news is Brownells carries a lighter weight replacement spring.
Old February 12, 2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Jayhawkhuntclub

I'm not talking about the hammer spring. It's the trigger spring that's in question. I don't think it has any effect on how hard the firing pin is struck.
Old February 12, 2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Otto Mattik

I think the test would be to fire it and see if the trigger still springs back after recoil. I would imagine that recoil would be irrelevant, but it could still jigger something that dry firing doesn't.

I'd be more concerned with trigger return SPEED than with the "power"

If it comes back fast, I'd think it's fine.