The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 2, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1
ronl

Vortex SPARC field expedient "repair"

How many of you have tried this red-dot? I got one yesterday and it looks pretty good, but I certainly do not like the odd sized battery. I fixed that problem in short order. I used a CR 2032, a piece of plastic, and a nickle and the thing worked perfectly. I took an adequately thick piece of plastic from a plastic jug and trimmed it to the thickness of the 2032 and installed it around the bottom of the battery compartment, which holds the battery securely in place. I found that a nickle placed on top of the 2032 works out perfectly height wise and just dropped it on top of the battery and screwed the cap down. Thing worked like a charm. Just thought I'd share this with you guys here just in case. The 2032's you can find just about anywhere and it is a 3V battery, so this might help you out if your battery dies and one is not readily available.
Old June 2, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2
sailskidrive

What battery type is it supposed to use?
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old June 3, 2013, 12:40 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

When it came time to replace, I used a smaller battery with a rare earth magnet on it. I had several of the smaller batteries to use and just grabbed the magnet off the 'fridge.
Old June 7, 2013, 03:14 AM   #4
moose fat

The SPARC uses a cr2354. I have been using it on my CMMG .22 upper for almost a year and have yet to replace the battery.
ymmv
Old June 7, 2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I had to replace mine because it the unit kept getting turned on in the rifle case. I really think they installed a switch with backward settings. It turns on easy, but you have to press and hold several seconds to turn off. The logic, as I understand it, is that you don't want it accidently being turned off in a crisis. The Sparc isn't exactly a battle optic, however.
Old June 9, 2013, 03:11 PM   #6
KyJim

Thinking of getting one in the future and have seen the complaint about the easy switch in various places. One solution is to take out the battery if its not on a rifle to be used for immediate defense. Nice to know about the "field repair" though.
Old June 22, 2013, 06:12 PM   #7
johnnydollar

I don't think the switch on the Sparc optic is "easy" to turn on. Rather, when the battery is low, it will stay on. The Sparc uses an LED for illumination, and battery-operated LED tail-lights (for bicycles, say) often come on and stay on when the batteries are low. I would pick up my rifle and look thru the Sparc only to discover it was on. I would turn it off, lay down the rifle, and when I picked it up again it was on again. I eventually discovered that upon turning it off, the LED dot would disappear for a brief second, only to come right back on. The solution was to install a new battery.