The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2010, 07:04 PM   #1
troy_mclure

Hard to find components?

What are the hard to find components that you are always hunting?

For me it is any vihtavuori powder, alliant power pistol, alliant rl 19/22, and imr 800x.

So basically its powders i cant find. There's tons of powder available, just not the stuff im looking for!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 8, 2010, 03:41 AM   #2
Xfire68

I am having big big problems finding Small Pistol Primers!:barf: I also have some problems finding Hogden Tight Group and AA#5 in my area but primers are a bit more important to me!
Has anyone used Small Rifle Primers as a substitute? I saw in a video with Brian Enos that some competitive shooters used them but, they are also pushing the limits of there guns and are using custom guns/equipment.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:24 AM   #3
zippy13

Luckily I have a stash of small pistol primers. A buddy convinced my to try some Tight Group instead of the Bullyseye loads I've been using for years. I couldn't find any TG locally, and it's crazy to order some and pay the haz-mat extra when you just want a pound to try out.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:11 AM   #4
troy_mclure

ive used small rifle primers, my xd fired them fine.

load up a few and see if your guns firing pin is strong enough to ignite them.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 8, 2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Jim243

Small pistol primers and AA Power Pistol.
Old April 8, 2010, 09:10 AM   #6
mrawesome22

22-250Rem brass.
Old April 8, 2010, 03:18 PM   #7
Xfire68

Thanks Troy! I will pick up a few hundred and see if they will work.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:52 PM   #8
bfoosh006

How odd, out here ( PNW ) IMR 800x,RL 19 & 22 are on the shelf and Small pistol primers were the first ones I saw back on the shelf. I wonder if demographics are dictating what powder goes where.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:45 PM   #9
riverwalker76

Not sure, but I haven't had a problem finding ANYTHING that I need. I seriously feel sorry for a lot of you guys who can't find anything you need.

Just in case it hits here I've been stocking up on the basics. I'm presently building my primer stock and have 8k small rifle, 2k large rifle, and a few odd lots of other types lying around. Powder ... well ... I have more than enough of that. As far as brass goes ... I have around 2k of everything I need for now, but will continue to buy more every week. I spend every dime of my personal 'fun money' each week on reloading supplies. The wife doesn't care because it comes out of my 'Guns & Ammo' money anyway. I've canceled all of my monthly magazine subscriptions and I now spend my money on something worthwhile.
Old April 9, 2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Sevens

Nobody -- and I mean nobody is in stock with .312" jacketed handgun slugs at least 85 and up to 115gr in weight. NOBODY! (go ahead, take this as a challenge!)

I'm talking about jacketed .32 cal bullets that are appropriate for .32 H&R and .327 Federal Magnum. None of the companies have time to produce this hardly used component -- they are too busy churning out 9, .40 and .45 slugs. So whatever stock there was of these bullets was killed off shortly after the Barackolypse.

71gr FMJ pills for .32 Auto? Sure, lots of 'em. XTP's and Gold Dots in 60gr weights also meant for .32 Auto -- yep.

Sierra 90gr jacketed hunting bullets? 85 or 100gr Hornady XTP? Nope. Nada, zip, zilch, zero, nunca, nyet.

Folks loading .327 Fed Mag are either using up a large supply that they've stocked up on or they are using cast slugs. Me, I'm now loading 71gr FMJ pills because I can't get my paws on anything else!

Oh yeah... I've also found that many places that stock powder and Alliant at that don't seem to want to included Power Pistol, my favorite. It's not that they are out, it's that they just don't keep it like they do for Unique, Bullseye, Red Dot, etc. Probably because it's not useful in shotgun and a lot of the places I frequent stock a lot of shotgun fodder.
Old April 9, 2010, 10:06 AM   #11
Sam06

I have been looking for any Ramshot Powder. No one where around here has it that I can find. I never had trouble getting primers last year but I cannot find any Ramshot. I want to try some enforcer before I buy a keg of it.
Old April 9, 2010, 10:43 AM   #12
DiscoRacing

I usually get all my powder off the net... so I stocked up pretty heavy awhile back... sometimes its hard to find primers around here but they are getting more plentiful
Old April 9, 2010, 09:58 PM   #13
Blue Grass

I have brass, primers, and powder. There are no bullets, at least none I can afford. Maybe noone is stocking reloading components around Lexington because of the reopening of Sportsmans Warehouse in June. I like Hornady spire point bullets but Hornady doesn't seem to care about producing low cost bullets. I can find a few hgh dollar bullets but nothing I can afford. $50.00 for 100 .30 cal bullets is just plain silly. All the online retailers like Wideners and Graf don't carry affordable bullets anymore. Until they remember that I'm a customer, not a millionaire, I'll be shooting a lot of .22 lr.
Old April 9, 2010, 11:54 PM   #14
troy_mclure

Just found a bottle of rl19. yay!