The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 30, 2008, 08:58 AM   #1
patm1313

My scope doesn't like me...

I can't zero my scope. My shots are on average about 6 inches away from where the cross hairs are. When I go to adjust the scope using the W/E knobs it doesn't seem to do anything. Any help?
Old July 30, 2008, 09:49 AM   #2
AirForceShooter

Sounds like a busted scope or you're not putting enough aggression into the adjustment.
Don't count clicks,
Give the knobs a full turn and see if anything happens .

AFS
Old July 30, 2008, 10:54 AM   #3
norsecat

look at the mounts

Look at mounts and bases.
Some can be moved and some have an adjustment in the base to rings.
Is the base and the rings in line with the bore?
A
Old July 30, 2008, 11:45 AM   #4
chickenman

You could just be a bad shot......like me

I would also look at the mounts. What kind of scope is it? Please dont say Tasco
Old July 30, 2008, 12:47 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, find out if turning the knobs has any effect at all. Put the rifle in a rigid cradle and clamp it down with the scope focused on a target. Then making sure the rifle does not move, adjust the scope knobs, trying both directions (left-right, up-down). You should be able to tell if the crosshair moves. If it doesn't, the scope is broken.

If it does, then check to see if you may have run out of room one direction or another. If so, the scope, mounts or rifle may be at fault.

Jim
Old July 31, 2008, 03:20 PM   #6
patm1313

I think it's probably a busted scope... Turning the knobs all the way in one direction or another does nothing.
Old August 1, 2008, 02:28 AM   #7
HiBC

I have one possibility for you.
It has been my observation that you cannot necessarily trust the combined tolerances of receiver ,scope bases and rings to provide two scope rings that are looking in the same direction.
If the rings are not aligned,when you cinch those rock solid rings and mounts down,you tweak the tube.

As we pay a lot for all those parts inside to fit together very precisely,they don't work if they are tweaked.

If the rings are misaligned,you could put a very expensive replacement scope in them and tweak it,too.
This is one reasons why it is common for Gunsmiths to have certain personality traits.

Proper alignment sometimes takes surfaceplate and dial indicator work and recutting the underside of the bases on a mill.
More often,the rings just need to be lapped.

It may be that if your scope is removed from the bind situation,it will work again.
Old August 1, 2008, 06:28 AM   #8
coltaholic

scope

What kind of scope is it??
The adjustment mechanism may be binding, caused by improper alignment of the rings. I am experienced and good at aligning scopes, and if you want, I'll give you my number and talk you through the process. Sometimes, when you relieve the pressure, the mechanism will work again. P M me with your number and we'll get this resolved. Be careful, because a new scope will likely have the same problem if the underlying cause is not corrected