The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 16, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1
waterfowler

Raven .25 auto

This gun jams on me three out of four shots. I have tried polishing the ramp, and it still jams on me. It is very unreliable and I would like it to work. Do you have any suggestions or know what site to go to. The gun is not worth very much, and a gunsmith would charge more than I would like. Does the clip have anyhting to do with it? I have not tried any new clips on it. Thanks.
Old February 16, 2010, 03:53 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

There could be several problems, but I would think first of the magazine. Those magazines do not have hardened feed lips and they soon bend out of shape. You might try examining them and bending them back, but even if the fix works it won't last long. Try www.gunpartscorp.com for new magazines.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I have to say it. Your gun is simply not good quality. I strongly recommend something better if there is any chance your continued health might depend on a gun that works.

Jim
Old February 16, 2010, 05:40 PM   #3
waterfowler

Quote:
Jim Keenan

I know you don't want to hear this, but I have to say it. Your gun is simply not good quality. I strongly recommend something better if there is any chance your continued health might depend on a gun that works.
Yes, I agree with you Jim, this gun is very cheaply made. I would like a project to work on though and I thought this project would help me decide if I want to go to gunsmithing school. Thanks for the link Jim.
Old February 16, 2010, 07:01 PM   #4
claymore1500

Just curious, What kind if ammo are you using?

The reason I ask, is because my little brother bought a raven (New) several years ago, (he wanted a cheap range toy) he also bought a box of "blazer" aluminum cased ammo, then what he had was a single shot pistol, with a neat little shell storage area in the grip.

He was just about to take it back out to the salesman and tell him where to stick it, I gave him a box of winchester ammo (brass cased ) and the gun ran without a hiccup thru 50 rounds.
Old February 16, 2010, 11:43 PM   #5
94Girl

You'll find this funny, I had a lady give me a Raven cause she siad she didn't want it in the house after her husband died (Old age) anyway she had 5 boxes of ammo all FMJ, I shot 4 boxes(200 rnds) without a single malfunction, and a friend had a box of mixed ammo we shot in it, all in all about 350 rounds without a malfunction. And we were trying to get it to break and malfunction!!!!!

Go figure.....

I started calling it Timex..
Old February 17, 2010, 01:00 AM   #6
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I have only got three 25acp pistols.
But all three have blow back extraction.

Other than that, they are just blow back semi autos.

There is a relationship between the recoil spring and the load:
a) If the load is too wimpy for the spring, the gun jams. [The slides does not move far enough back and the empty gets stuck sideways or is still in the chamber]
b) If the load is too hot for the spring, the cases fly more than 5' and the slide slams the frame.

If I use triple loads of powder in a 25acp, like 6 gr Power Pistol 50 gr FMJ, I reach the threshold of the primer pocket growing, and the case fails to extract, as it is still stuck to the chamber walls. This is what happens in my two expensive 25acps. My cheap one cannot go that high in a work up, because the primer pierces, due to a poor firing pin to firing pin hole fit.

Things work better with stiffer recoil springs, if the next round is not being pushed hard enough into the chamber. Sometimes people 'fluff and buff' the slide to frame fit, to reduce friction.

Sometimes I load up dummy round and jack them through the pistol in slow motion, while I look to see 'where is the hang up?'
Old February 17, 2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Goatwhiskers

We refer to such as "disposable guns".
Old February 17, 2010, 10:21 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

ANY auto pistol is designed to work within a set of parameters regarding pressure. This is especially true of blowback pistols which, as the name indicates, do not extract the cartridge at all, the fired case blows itself out of the chamber. (The extractor is there in case it is necessary to extract an unfired round.)

In a blowback also, the spring does not act to keep the breech closed; that is done by the mass of the slide. The recoil spring merely slows the slide down and, of course, returns the slide to battery with a fresh round.

I have no idea why anyone would load any cartridge to three times the recommended level; the result will certainly not be good for the gun and could cause injury to the shooter or someone else.

Jim
Old February 19, 2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Clark

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...f32ed593664604

Last edited by Clark; February 19, 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old February 23, 2010, 05:28 AM   #10
PointOneSeven

You could try running it with 3 or 4 rounds in the magazine and see if it runs. Maybe even start with two rounds and work your way up to the failing point.

Also instead of a regular cleaning you might hose it out real good with spray lube or wd40 to get every last inch of it, dry it all back out, then lube it like normal. I just fixed my light strike problem on my Rohm revolver by hosing it out, it might give your gun a fresh start too.